Committee of the Whole - 24 Jan 2023


1: Welcome to the Squamish Nation Traditional Territory
2: ADOPTION OF AGENDA
3: DELEGATIONS
3.i: Fortis Eagle Mountain - Woodfibre Gas Pipeline Project Update
3.ii: Woodfibre Liquified Natural Gas (WLNG)
4: STAFF REPORTS
4.i: Q1 2023: Real Estate & Facilities Master (REFMP) Plan and General Works Update
5: STAFF REPORTS
5.ii: 2023 Tourism Squamish Operating Grant
5.iii: Municipal and Regional District Tax Application 2023
6: MOTION TO CLOSE
7: STAFF REPORTS
7.i: Youth Council Update
8: TERMINATION
Introduction & Fortis Eagle Mountain Pipeline Presentation
0:00:00 (0:34:19)

At the council meeting, Fortis BC and Wood Fiber Liquefied Natural Gas presented their Eagle Mountain to Wood Fiber Gas Pipeline Project, which will be constructed on the traditional unceded territory of the Squamish, Sleep with Tooth Musculine and Coquitlin peoples. The project includes 47 kilometers of new gas pipeline, a new compressor station, a 9 kilometer tunnel, and a temporary Workforce Lodge. The Environmental Assessment Office approved the project in 2016, and the Squamish Nation conducted an independent environmental assessment. Community engagement has included open houses, stakeholder meetings, and feedback from the community. Construction is anticipated to occur between 2023 and 2026, with a peak of 300 non-local workers expected late summer/early fall of 2023 and a peak of 600 workers expected in 2025. Wood fiber LNG and the District of Squamish are jointly coordinating their efforts to mitigate risks associated with the project, including the dispersal of workers throughout the community. The EAO has posted their condition management plans online, and they have a structure in place to solicit feedback from the public and use it to potentially revise their plans.

John French
0:00:00 (0:01:12)

good morning and welcome to the district of Squamish committee the whole meeting for Tuesday January 24th I just I see my video isn't launched there we go okay my name is councilor John French and I am the acting mayor for the month of January and as the acting mayor I get the privilege of chairing Committee of the whole meetings so I will be chairing this morning's meeting our first item is welcome to the traditional territory of the Squamish people and item number two is the adoption of the amended agenda Council can I get a motion moved by counselor Stoner seconded by counselor Hamilton all those in favor are there any opposed motion carries unanimous and we have a delegation this morning a full table of guests and I would like to welcome the folks from Fortis BC and wood fiber liquefied Natural Gas and I will turn it over to the team from Fortis to take it from here introduce yourselves and then go ahead with your presentation please

SPEAKER_02
0:01:12 (0:06:27)

great good morning and thank you for having us my name is Vanessa Connolly I'm the director of community and Indigenous relations for Fortis BC and I'm joined by my colleague here Darren Marshall Project Director for the Eagle Mountain to Wood fiber gas pipeline project oh perfect thank you so we're really pleased to join you here this morning and present about our EGP project and I just want to acknowledge it'll be constructed on the traditional unseated territory of the Squamish sleep with tooth musculine and coquitlin peoples so today for our presentation we want to provide a brief overview on the Eagle Mountain project and use the majority of our time to speak about our plans for 2023 we acknowledge there's some new members on Council so congratulations to you folks and we'll start with a bit of background on the project and of course are happy to continue to provide further background following our session today so during today's discussion we're going to summarize some of our community engagement efforts speak about our 2023 project timeline and activities we'll talk about our Workforce accommodation plan community services and infrastructure management mitigations and our joint coordination efforts with the folks at wood fiber who are here as well and happy to answer any questions you have and look forward to the discussion component of today so for starters maybe I'll just quickly introduce Fortis BC for folks not familiar with us for species and energy delivery company we deliver natural gas electricity and renewable energy to 1.1 million homes and businesses across British Columbia we serve 135 municipalities and 58 First Nations and in Squamish we've been surveying gas to Squamish into the early 90s and we serve 5 500 homes and businesses in District of Squamish we're committed to reconciliation with indigenous peoples and we're Guided by our corporate statement of indigenous principles which we developed 20 years ago on to the Eagle Mountain pipeline project a quick overview for you so the Eagle Mountain pipeline project expands our existing natural gas transmission system to transport gas to the wood fiber LNG facility project includes 47 kilometers of new gas pipeline north of Coquitlam to Squamish as well as three kilometers of new gas pipeline twinning existing infrastructure in Coquitlam includes a new compressor station at the wood fiber LNG site a nine kilometer tunnel under the Squamish Estuary to limit environmental impacts and a temporary Workforce Lodge to house workers and a construction lay down yard both of which we've recently submitted temporary use permit applications for the majority of our new gas line will run alongside our existing right-of-way in order to minimize environmental impacts the project has completed an environmental assessment for the BC environmental assessment office and received approval from the eao in 2016. and in addition the Squamish Nation conducted an independent environmental assessment of the project establishing the Squamish Nation environmental assessment agreement between Fortis BC and the Squamish Nation in 2020 we received approval of amendments to our environmental assessment application certificate which includes a new location for the Squamish compressor station at the wood fiber site based on feedback that we had from the community rerouting an eight kilometer section of the new gas pipeline in swamis Valley to minimize impacts increasing the size of two compressor units at Eagle Mountain compressor station and accommodating this expansion within its existing footprint and as well constructing an additional three kilometer section of gas pipeline adjacent to the existing Line near Eagle Mountain compressor station in Coquitlam to increase reliability of supply we've been engaging the local community on the Eagle Mountain pipeline project since 2013 which has included open houses stakeholder meetings ongoing engagement with the District of Squamish and local indigenous communities in 2019 we established a community table and invited representatives from indigenous Nations and Squamish based organizations that are engaged in security health Hospitality Economic Development and governance areas of the community to help inform our project planning in particular around our Workforce accommodation plan and socioeconomic impacts in Squamish some of the feedback that we've received has helped to shape the project over the years which is included relocating the compressor station away from originally downtown and then from Mount Mulligan over to the wood fiber site as well as constructing a nine kilometer tunnel underneath the Squamish Estuary to limit environmental impacts most recently as we acknowledge here on the slide we facilitated an engagement period between November and December of 2022 which focused on the community services and infrastructure management plan and the Traffic Control Management plan this included hosting an open house on November 23rd which we'd advertised in the local paper and on social media and distributed about 7 000 cards throughout different Squamish to neighborhoods and invited folks to participate we also had a number of stakeholder meetings during that engagement period so some of the key themes of what we heard during that session are highlighted here including interest in environmental mitigations economic opportunities questions about our Workforce accommodation plan and pipeline safety specifically we heard people were interested in understanding how we'd mitigate noise and dust during construction as well as impacts to recreational trails impacts to local Health and Medical Services on the economic side there was an interest in opportunities to work on the project or contribute to the project and we also had questions about Workforce accommodation as it relates to community safety as well we have a team of community and Indigenous relations Representatives we used our project website we have a project phone line encouraged folks to submit their feedback either directly to us or through our website and next up for our community engagement we expect to have some sessions in March related to our two temporary use permit applications to continue that conversation with the community

SPEAKER_20
0:07:40 (0:07:08)

thank you Vanessa I'm here today to provide a little bit more of an overview of the project timelines and some more information related to our lodge first related to our project schedule we anticipate construction to occur between 2023 and 2026 start of construction at this point in time is anticipated to start end of February or early March and it's really associated with some clearing work at the wood fiber site in order to facilitate some early works so it's a fairly modest start for our Regulatory and permanent approvals we anticipate notifications we'll go out to local stakeholders and Indigenous communities in advance in parallel with this Construction we're going to continue to advance a number of regulatory and permitting undertakings in April of 2022 we submitted to the environmental assessment office and the Squamish Nation where both our environmental Regulators a second amendment application which is related to our Workforce Lodge and that's to increase the size from two hectares to seven hectares and we anticipate a decision from our Regulators later in the first quarter so we'll continue to advance that application parallel with that we've been advancing our temporary use permit with the District of Squamish in December we submitted our temporary use application to the district for both the lodge and the lay down and based on what we've heard to date we anticipate a decision related to those applications sometime in April and May effects like this as I mentioned 2023 will bring started Construction fairly modest start at the wood fiber site and that's associated with the tunnel so we'll be doing some clearing works there assuming we get our favorable decision related to our temporary use permit for our lodge and our lay down we anticipate clearing activities to occur for those sites in the April or May time period which would allow us later in the year from about November to establish the workforce Lodge so really 2023 is about establishing the lodge the lay down the tunnel sites and completing clearing activities in the valley as well as establishing roads a little bit about our Workforce timing now these numbers are subject to change but it's the best information that we have to date so with activities commencing prior to the lodge opening there will be a period of time where workers will be living in the community we understand there's interest in minimizing the number of workers which is why we're so eager to have the lodge in service to anticipate a peak of approximately 300 non-local workers in the community approximately late summer early fall this includes approximately 120 for our Tunnel construction and 150 for our Mainline pipeline currently our tunnel workers have arranged local hotel accommodation at the mountain Retreat Hotel and our pipeline contractor is eagerly seeking accommodations as well over the course of the project we anticipate our Workforce to Peak at around 600. and this will occur in approximately 2025. however the average construction Workforce will be approximately 360. and the reason for that is just given the seasonal nature of construction within the valley a little bit about our Workforce Lodge in 2019 we began to consult the community and others on our accommodation strategy and what we heard is that what we are approved for which is a two hectare Lodge for 150 250 people with a remainder being housed in the community that there was a preference rather than that there was a preference to have everyone housed in a single Lodge after engaging our contractors and potential temporary Workforce accommodation contractors what we established is that there was a need for a larger site so two hectares was insufficient so that is that is really what drove our Amendment application through the eao and through a Squamish Nation additional concerns were related to community impacts particularly around Health Services there was concerns around traffic as well and so our actions to date have really been looking at ways of mitigating those impacts within the community what we're proposing to date is a site located in East Squamish owned by LaFarge it's a previously cleared site sufficient in size it's located in a location where it's easily accessible to our proposed work sites so it'll allow us to mitigate traffic impacts within the community we understand there's a need to mitigate potential impacts within the community to that end we've developed a community services and infrastructure management plan a Traffic Control Management plan which we've submitted to the eao and Squamish nation in 2022. both of these plans sorry in addition sorry we've also initiated a forest BC wood fiber in a district of Squamish technical working group intention of which is to meet regularly to review construction impacts on community services with the intention of adaptive management so those that aren't familiar with our condition management plans through our environmental assessment certificate we have an overarching philosophy of adaptive management where our mitigation measures aren't working as anticipated or ineffective we seek to improve our mitigation measures in order to reduce the impacts in addition we continue to advance our terms of reference and construction protocol agreement with the District of Squamish these documents include permitting processes construction expectations such as pre and post Road assessments within the terms of reference we're also discussing with the staff the opportunity to provide a community benefit contribution as well as support for public servicing costs we are also supporting staff by funding a permitting manager and intend to fund a project manager as well pass it back to Vanessa

SPEAKER_02
0:14:49 (0:01:38)

thanks Stern so lastly we understand the need to jointly coordinate our efforts with wood fiber LNG and plan to continue to do that so I wanted to just highlight a few examples for you today Darren just touched on establishing a technical working group with the District of Squamish and the two organizations we're also developing a joint communication protocol this is intended to describe the different rules for each organization as it relates to Public Communication and responding to inquiries for the project and just understand the need to ensure that's seamless for folks in the community so we're working through that protocol and Advance the construction start health and safety and security so coordinating our engagement with various public health and safety authorities and our discussions with them we also assessed our respective traffic management strategies to determine that there were minimal cumulative impacts of traffic management impacts from the two projects Community engagement so we're coordinating this we try to coordinate our Council presentations and come back to back as well as participate in each other's open houses and have coordinated other stakeholder meetings and so forth and then lastly on the local labor side I know wood fiber will speak more about this as well but looking to find a balance between opportunities to work on the construction on the project but also understanding the need to minimize the impact of the local labor market from our two projects so those are just a couple examples of joint coordination between the two organizations and you'll hear more from wood fiber in a few moments here and that concludes our presentation so thank you for the opportunity and we look forward to your questions

John French
0:16:27 (0:00:23)

great thank you Council what I'd like to do is spend a few minutes on your questions specifically related to the Fortis BC presentation and I think it would be best for us to keep those questions tight so that we can allow wood fiber LNG to do their presentation and then a longer likely more robust question period after we hear from what fiber LNG councilor

Chris Pettingill
0:16:51 (0:00:16)

pettigo just a clarifying question I'll maybe come back depending on the answer later just you wondering if can clarify I missed what you said about the mountain Retreat Hotel and how that's being used

SPEAKER_20
0:17:07 (0:00:11)

our total contractor Frontier Kemper Michael's joint venture has booked the hotel in order to support their workers for the for the for the 2023 period

Chris Pettingill
0:17:19 (0:00:01)

I'll come back to that later thank

John French
0:17:21 (0:00:12)

you um Miss Connolly I was detecting a little bit of feedback on your microphone we might solve that by sliding at about five centimeters closer to you to yourself counselor stoner

Jenna Stoner
0:17:33 (0:00:46)

thank you through the chair thanks for being here today and for the update I'm just trying to wrap my head around some of the timing here I'm in a lot of the engagement that we've had around Workforce accommodation you've responded to and you said that you heard there were concerns about dispersed workers throughout the community and so as a result youth married your eao application to increase the size of the workforce Lodge accommodation but we are still anticipating almost 350 workers here this summer who will be dispersed throughout our community and so what engagement have you done around risks of having people dispersed throughout our community this summer in 2023 given that you don't have an appropriate Workforce accommodation

SPEAKER_02
0:18:20 (0:00:45)

so we did speak about Workforce accommodation plans at our last open house and during our engagement period in November and December we have heard the concerns about the impact to workers coming into town and staying in hotels and other accommodations so we understand that that's still a concern we expect we'll speak more about that the community as it relates to our upcoming to Up application but want to just be really clear on the fact that with construction starting there will be folks in town in for the period of time before we receive approval and if we receive approval and are able to get the lodge up and running so we acknowledge that there are some concerns with that and I think we'll continue that conversation about suggestions of how we can address that concern

Jenna Stoner
0:19:06 (0:00:17)

then can you just remind us when you actually identified that you need a larger Lodge and a particular site was identified I'm just trying to understand the timeline as to where you recognize this was going to be needed and why we're only seeing a tup application now

SPEAKER_20
0:19:24 (0:00:40)

the First Community table that we held was in 2019 that was where we identified that or at least the feedback we received was a desire to have a single site following that at the second Community table we began to establish site selection criteria and really put forward the proposal to have a single site are leading up to that obviously it takes some time to put together a regulatory application that regulatory application was submitted in April of 2022. and so there was Community engagement prior to submitting that and then also engagement throughout the regulatory application which is ongoing

Jenna Stoner
0:20:04 (0:00:19)

and then I guess just finally one further question just to clarify what is the anticipated living out allowance for folks who will be in our community so when they are not built or when they're not being housed no workers Lodge accommodation I know that you provide living out allowance or your contractors do what is the estimated value of that living out allowance

SPEAKER_20
0:20:24 (0:00:06)

it's currently under development right now we're trying to establish an appropriate amount

John French
0:20:30 (0:00:03)

councilor Hamilton

Andrew Hamilton
0:20:34 (0:00:28)

thank you through the chair the timing councilor Stoner raised the timing of the TPS and we seem to be very squished here in time and I'd like to ask what are your plans if the tup or the lay down yard does not get approved

SPEAKER_20
0:21:03 (0:01:00)

for the lay down specifically so we are currently evaluating other options there to be honest they aren't great the value proposition of having the lay down in the lodge in those locations are sort of it's sort of complementary it allows us to have workers travel down the forest service road to the lay down and then onto the work site so the value proposition is really to avoid traffic within town if the lodge is approved and the lay down isn't and we have to find a separate location that we may it dilutes that value proposition if you will all of a sudden you may have traffic coming down the mem FSR to a staging area and then back up into the valley so we are currently to answer your question we are currently looking at options but the value proposition is diluted significantly

Andrew Hamilton
0:22:03 (0:00:10)

as a follow-up and just Clarity when you say value proposition whose value are you proposing your own to the value to afford US no or the value to the community the

SPEAKER_20
0:22:13 (0:00:11)

value to the community sorry the intent of staging them in that location is really to mitigate traffic impacts within the Squamish community

John French
0:22:25 (0:00:00)

councilor

Chris Pettingill
0:22:26 (0:01:07)

pettingell yeah there's been some reference to community engagement and I just want to sort of clarify what you mean by that my understanding is it's been a point of frustration for me but members of the public are not allowed at the community table that's for specific invite teas only in the winter I think there was the November event it was meant to be two nights it got cut down to one as I understand that was for this CE SMP the one management plan read that over the weekend and it says it must be read in the context of these other plans which aren't available yet and that's still today that's what's up and as I recall because I went to the November engagement that plan that was I thought the engagement was supposed to be built wasn't even available there so and you know my recollection is that public engagement before that it had been quite a while so I'm wondering you know when you're saying Community engagement I guess what I'm interested in what is the actual public engagement when has that been and how do you plan to sort of improve that because I think we could all recognize it's been incredibly lacking

SPEAKER_02
0:23:33 (0:01:21)

I can start yeah so when we speak about public engagement um we hosted our open house in November that's correct we had intended to have a second one but canceled it due to the snowstorm so we had one session in November we also had open house in the spring on the project we held a public open house in 2021 and we had some virtual sessions during kind of covid lockdown in 2020 so we have had a number of open house style sessions over the last few years on the project the community table is a group of invited representatives from various service organizations from the District of Squamish from the Nations to speak specifically and inform specifically our workforce planning and some of the socioeconomic considerations so that's been a really good channel for us to get feedback from those organizations we also meet one-on-one with various groups that ask to meet with us or that we reach out to in the community and you know welcome folks to reach out to us if they have turns that are specific to them residents or businesses along the Route Etc so we have had Direct engagement with them as well would expect to have further open houses as we approach construction start both for the tup process and then once construction starts to ensure we're getting feedback on any concerns that are arising through that time

SPEAKER_20
0:24:54 (0:01:14)

I'll Endeavor to answer the second part of your question first thing I'd mention is that our environmental assessment certificate has a number of conditions as part of those conditions there's the development of a number of condition management plans within that approval it outlines exactly who is to be consulted on each one of those plans and those there are specific technical advisory committee members that must be engaged on these plans public engagement on our community services and infrastructure management plan and our Traffic Control Management plan are actually not required by our regulator however based on the feedback that we received from the District of Squamish previously there was a desire to seek public feedback on those plans and so we worked with the environmental assessment office to find a way in order to do that so the public engagement that we undertook in November was really an attempt to undertake that public engagement within the regulatory context in which we operate

Chris Pettingill
0:26:09 (0:00:41)

so can I regardless and I sort of tend to interpret the certificate a bit differently in terms of the expectations on public engagement but um I guess then if I understand um I guess if you can clarify what level of public engagement will there be on these management plans when will the public have an opportunity to see them if they say Hey you have to read this in the context of these other plans when is the whole set of plans available to the public at us at a time in a place where they can provide feedback that can be incorporated and adjusted and they can see how their feedback has been reflected in updated plans when does that happen

SPEAKER_20
0:26:50 (0:00:55)

so we've submitted our condition management plans to the eao and Squamish nation and the eao I as I understand it will post those online as I mentioned we have an Adaptive management philosophy with these condition management plans so as feedback comes in related to our mitigation measures if they're ineffective then we will revisit our mitigation measures to identify potential opportunities as it relates to our community services and infrastructure management plan I believe once that's posted we have a structure in place I believe the community table as well as other community engagement that Vanessa spoke to earlier that'll solicit information from the public and we may revisit our plans using that feedback

Chris Pettingill
0:27:45 (0:00:13)

so the feedback that's been received so far there's no plans at this point to update your Community infrastructure management plan and so on at this point based on that feedback

SPEAKER_20
0:27:59 (0:00:07)

correct the feedback that we heard through our engagement in the fall we saw no reason to update that plan at that time

Chris Pettingill
0:28:06 (0:00:12)

but there wasn't public engagement really with in the fall in November again like I said the plan wasn't available at the event so I'm just wondering when the public engagement was that fed into the first draft

SPEAKER_20
0:28:18 (0:00:19)

the plan itself outlines the mitigation measures and we when we went out and did our engagement in the fall we outlined what those mitigation winners were so all the plan itself in its entirety wasn't necessarily available the mitigation measures were identified

Chris Pettingill
0:28:37 (0:00:22)

but the from what you said I think the last public engagement was in the spring and the plan there's no planning there none of that was available then and it wasn't available at the November event so I'm just wondering where the public engagement not a community table that's you know restricted attendance but when the public engagement was

SPEAKER_20
0:28:59 (0:00:16)

I maybe I'm misunderstanding the question but the mitigation measures outlined in the community services and infrastructure management plan as well as the Traffic Control Management plan were outlined within Billboards and information provided to people at our November event

John French
0:29:15 (0:00:09)

thanks councilor pettinghill and I'll just remind everybody participating in this conversation please direct your questions your answers through the chair councilor Greenlaw

Lauren Greenlaw
0:29:25 (0:00:34)

thanks through the chair I appreciate that you're taking measures to mitigate the impacts of this influx of workers on our community however statistically speaking is still highly probable that this influx of workers will result in an increase in sexual violence and there is particular concern around this coming from our first Nations communities and I want to ask do you have procedures to address issues as they arise and who will be held accountable for these workers who are in our town thanks

SPEAKER_02
0:30:00 (0:01:31)

yeah so I'll just maybe touch on some of the conversations that um or the comments from Darren from earlier so we have had feedback from local indigenous Nations as well as a group called protect our indigenous sisters and a couple of organizations within the community service providers sharing the concerns around Community safety and mitigations that we need to have to protect the community so we have Incorporated a lot of this feedback we do have our worker code of conduct which all workers on the project are expected to comply with that does include compliance with all relevant laws in the community we're also intending to undertake education around sexual harassment violence and bullying for our workers that'll be part of our orientation and onboarding for all the folks working on the project another example is cultural awareness training and ongoing cultural sensitivity so we intend to include that as part of our programming for folks working on the project and participating in and staying in the lodge we have a number of other different mitigations and training and ongoing support for workers in the lodge that Darren spoke about we have a no visitor policy and we'll have 24-hour Security on site at the lodge and we will have procedures in place for management of the lodge compliance with Lodge rules and ensuring that folks are meeting all the requirements for our Workforce course code of conduct the ring construction and wall at the lodge

Lauren Greenlaw
0:31:32 (0:00:11)

okay so again what will happen when they don't follow the code of conduct and who will be accountable for them

SPEAKER_20
0:31:44 (0:00:14)

given that these are our contractors by law we're limited in our ability to discipline workers however we have a Str will have a strict Zero Tolerance policy and we do have the ability to remove them from the project altogether which we will so that's the enforcement

Lauren Greenlaw
0:31:59 (0:00:05)

okay and then would forests then be responsible for the employees and their behavior

SPEAKER_20
0:32:04 (0:00:15)

horse BC is responsible for our own employees behavior however in terms of our contractors ultimately our enforcement is limited by law it's around removal rather than discipline

Lauren Greenlaw
0:32:19 (0:00:00)

thank

John French
0:32:20 (0:00:03)

you counselor stoner

Jenna Stoner
0:32:23 (0:00:13)

thank you through the chair just to pick up on your response Ms Connolly everything you said was with relation to a Workforce accommodation Lodge so what happens when these workers are not in a Workforce accommodation Lodge

SPEAKER_02
0:32:36 (0:00:33)

so the workforce code of conduct is required regardless of whether we have the lodge so that's the behavior that we expect out of workers and as Darren said if folks are not in compliance with that there are different mechanisms for you know removal from the project any kind of breaking of the law of course would be with security services or RCMP to manage that directly but the orientation that I spoke about would happen for workers before the start of construction so all of that work is happening anyhow regardless the of lodge

Jenna Stoner
0:33:10 (0:00:12)

thank you and through the chair just one final question what Severance requirements do you have in your with your contractors if there's ongoing issues are you able to just cease that contract and find a new

SPEAKER_20
0:33:22 (0:00:19)

contractor I can't speak to the specifics of the contract given the confidentiality are we going to assure you that we have the ability to remove our contractors person offers from site for whatever reason and we have the ability to terminate contract

John French
0:33:42 (0:00:11)

next up I have counselor Anderson and unless mayor Hereford has anything okay so after councilor Anderson I'd like to move on to the wood fiber LNG presentation

Eric Andersen
0:33:53 (0:00:08)

I wonder if our guests could speak to current plans for the disposition of spoil from the tunnel excavation

SPEAKER_20
0:34:01 (0:00:16)

we continue to work with our contractor Frontier camper Michael's joint venture for local opportunities for that spoil the the ReUse opportunities are fairly Limited at this time

WoodFibre LNG Presentation & Council Discussion
0:34:19 (1:25:56)

At the council meeting, Daria Hasselman provided an update on the Wood Fiber LNG facility, which is owned by Pacific Energy and Enbridge, and is expected to start construction later this year and be completed in 2027. Wood Fiber LNG is the first industrial project in Canada to have a non-treaty indigenous government as full project regulator and has signed an Impact Benefit Agreement with the Squamish Nation. It is committed to providing benefits to the Squamish Nation and local community through training, employment, procurement, and business opportunities. Wood Fiber is developing a Worker Code of Conduct and has given over 600,000 to local community groups since 2016. The two projects are working together to tell a story of combined impacts and have been having successful conversations about joint permitting opportunities and capacity improvements. Wood Fiber apologized for their mistake in managing voices at their open house and are committed to doing better by engaging with specific community and Nation members to develop gender-based and sexual assault prevention programming. The public commented on the need for a central point of contact for the project, the need to address the community's concerns, the need for Wood Fiber and Fortis to work together, and the need for Wood Fiber to provide Fortis with more time and money to address community concerns. The motion is to have the mayor write a letter to the province outlining the district's concerns with the proposed schedule for the Eagle Mountain pipeline.

John French
0:34:18 (0:00:19)

great thank you so at this point I'd like to move on to the wood fiber LNG presentation and I believe our staff will assist in bringing up the presentation for wood fiber LNG Ms Conley will you drive the presentation for very good so I'll turn it over to what fiber Allen G please introduce yourselves

SPEAKER_08
0:34:37 (0:01:36)

thank you my name is Daria hasselman and I am new to the wood fiber team I just joined at the end of November and I would like to First acknowledge that we are on the traditional lands of the Squamish nation and peoples and similar to Vanessa congratulations to the new mayor and counselors for being on the council and we'd like to give a project update today to kind of give you a little bit more information especially for the new counselors so as you know wood fiber LNG is a LNG facility that is being going to be constructed on the former wood fiber pulp and Papal Mill site wood fiber is a canadian-owned company 70 percent owned by Pacific Energy and 30 percent is owned by Enbridge but in a non-bar to a non-operation participating partner LNG wlng has our approvals both from the provincial Federal and the Squamish nation and we'll talk a little bit about the swamish nation environmental assessment a little bit later and as you know most our EF PC which is our engineering our engineering production fabrication and construction contractor is McDermott International and we expect construction to start later this year in Q4 and be completed in 2027. during operations our facility will export approximately 2.1 million tons of per annum of liquid LNG Julia

SPEAKER_10
0:36:14 (0:03:52)

hi there thank you for having us today I'm pleased to be here on Squamish Nation territory my name is Julia diamond and I'm the senior manager of government relations with wood fiber I've been with the company for about a year and enjoyed getting to know some of you as counselors and working with your staff in the district I wanted to send regrets on behalf of our president Christine Kennedy and Selena Bassey both of whom meet regularly with senior staff but couldn't be here today unfortunately I think it's important to recognize that the wood fiber plant will be powered by renewable electricity which is unique in Canada and across the world and will make our plant 14 times less emitting than traditional plants that are powered by natural gas we have a commitment to be a net zero facility and that's why we recently joined the government of Canada's Net Zero challenge as a founding company and you can see our certificate up there this commits us to developing a tangible strategy for how we will be Net Zero and this is in development and of course we're continuing to make improvements to the facility to ensure that it's as efficient as possible and emits as few emissions as possible within a jurisdiction that places strong value on the environment wood fiber LNG has a key role to play in supplying energy to the world Russia's unjust invasion of Ukraine in the interruption of gas supply to Europe has Illustrated the importance of natural gas and LNG for energy security for years to come and we think it's a good thing that Canada has a key role to play in providing Supply above and beyond other countries that may not have the same strong regard for the environment the gas that will be supplied to the facility for processing is some of the lowest carbon intensive in the world and as Daria mentioned comes from our sister company in Northeast BC Pacific Cambrian which has strong sustainability certifications through Equitable origin thanks so many of you know that the wood fiber LNG project is the first industrial project in Canada to have a non-treaty indigenous government in our case Squamish Nation as a full project regulator this means that the nation undertook an independent environmental assessment and issued an environmental certificate for the project and everything that we do must uphold those conditions throughout the course of the project similar to Fortis our project is subject to 13 unique conditions that must be met during construction and operations including no project expansion and environmental monitoring Provisions among others we would be happy to provide more details with Council about the role of the nation as a regulator we have an impact benefit agreement with Squamish nation that was signed in 2019 and it includes obligations to working with the nation on employment training procurement and other opportunities our project has been responsive to what we've heard through consultation with local indigenous groups for example we changed the location of the LNG plant from floating to onland and change the facility's cooling technology from seawater to air cooling which has positive impacts on the environment and reduces emissions and positive impacts on the Marine territory we acknowledge the U.N declarations on the rights of indigenous peoples the truth of Reconciliation Commission calls to action and the national inquiry on missing and murdered indigenous women and girls and recommendations made for industrial projects about these inquiries these are issues that we care about and take very seriously and we will do what we can to protect culture and gender safety of the community and our Workforce for example we are delivering cultural competency training to our Workforce in partnership with Squamish nation and everyone will be required to participate in this training throughout the orientation process for construction

SPEAKER_08
0:40:06 (0:00:56)

and as Julie just mentioned W wood fiber LNG is committed to Bringing benefits to the Squamish Nation as well as to the community Through training employment and procurement and business opportunities we are committed to hiring qualified local residents and businesses as much as possible so that we can share the benefit we expect the workforce to be at Peak at about 800 and approximately 100 jobs during the operations so during construction and through operations would fiber LNG will develop various training and employment initiatives and will offer training through both construction and operations later this year we intend to host a job fair also some other engagements and we expect hiring for the construction to start later this year and last until about 2025.

SPEAKER_10
0:41:03 (0:01:34)

so the flotel is not a new subject to many of you but for those of you who don't know the flotel or floating hotel is a fundamental component of our Workforce accommodation strategy there's a temporary contained vessel to house our construction Workforce and will be situated adjacent to sight away from the community of Squamish as such there will be no living out allowance we chose a flotel in response to community concerns about potential impacts on community infrastructure and services particularly housing and of course are always our goal is always to ensure that we are minimizing adverse impacts on the community while maximizing local opportunities we are currently working with the BC environmental assessment office on an amendment process which includes providing information back to the province on how we are addressing comments and concerns from the public and the technical advisory committee of which the district is a member over the past couple of years we undertook comprehensive studies and modeling regarding noise air quality human health risks and alternatives to the flotel such as a land-based camp the floatel will offer individual rooms and bathrooms to ensure gender inclusion and kitchen facilities dining facilities Recreation and Lounge facilities medical services and 24 7 security more details will be available once the operator is selected in the coming months and workers will have limited interface with the community of Squamish we anticipate to have more information to share soon

SPEAKER_08
0:42:37 (0:00:41)

so safety is a top priority for our employees and for the community and during operations we expect that an LNG vessel will pass through How Sound every 10 to 12 days during construction all materials equipment and workers will be transport transported to and from site by the water Ellen what wlng is required to submit plans to manage mitigate and mitigate potential impacts to the marine environment and we are voluntarily participating in transport Canada's term pool process and we're developing a marine Communications plan to coordinate the use of house sound and tamish harbor with key stakeholders

SPEAKER_10
0:43:19 (0:02:31)

I also just wanted to point out that this is an old rendering and the floating storage tank should be stacked one in front of the other not side by side it's fine thanks so on community engagement since we last visited Council we have done significant public engagement in the form of an open house and Community tables we've also participated in and had Presence at fortis's engagements we acknowledge the importance of ensuring all voices and opinions are heard and that we are being transparent with Squamish about what the project means for the community over 100 people attended our open house in October this did include a group of Advocates speaking about safety and environment these are issues that are important to us and we will continue to improve ways to ensure that those voices are heard we have worked with government Regulators in the district to identify and engage stakeholders and this extends Beyond stakeholders that are referenced in our environmental certificates who we must consult on our environmental and socioeconomic management plans including similar to Fortis or community services and infrastructure management plan our marine Transportation plan our emergency response plan and our Traffic Control Management plan We are continuing to update our plans based on feedback from community members and Indigenous groups and we'll finalize these in the months ahead we also addressed the topics within the management plans at our open houses so we had storyboards created on all of these topics and the public did have an opportunity to engage on those before we finalize our plans we will do furthering Community engagement this quarter and next and we are in regular contact with District staff about these opportunities and would be happy to share more information with Council as needed and of course this is a topic that is monitored and reported through the technical working group that Fordson and wood fiber have established with the district Council will have the opportunity to review our management plans before submittal to the eao and then we can have a discussion with you about the drafts at that time where possible are plans reference Fortis mitigations in effort to give the reader a better understanding of the combined effects such as on traffic and how these will be addressed of course it's a balance of broad engagement and targeted engagement with stakeholders who may have a role to play in implementing some of our mitigations so we acknowledge those comments from Council and of course we have we have Community reps in the community that meet regularly with stakeholders one-on-one and we are always happy to do that

SPEAKER_08
0:45:50 (0:01:17)

we just want to talk a little bit about our what we're giving back to the community since 2016 and by the end of this year wood fiber will have given over 600 000 to local community groups made up of the non-profits and we'll have two intakes this year of Our Community Partnership program the first intake opened on January 9th and closes February 10th and if you we've been encouraging local groups that have participated before to reach out to us and apply for the grants and if there's any organizations that you're aware of please have them go to our website at www woodfibre lng.com and we will happy to look at all the applications and perceive them we've also sponsored a number of events local events over the years certainly the Squamish day loggers Fest we've done stuff with the business Improvement Association the mural walk the holiday parade the Squamish Hospital Foundation golf tournament and a number of Chamber event sponsorships and the holiday event we'll continue to have these kind of events and as Julia mentioned we'll have some job fairs and other engagements and we're hoping to have a open house later this spring

SPEAKER_10
0:47:07 (0:01:44)

so what fiber LNG project has transformed a historical pulpin paper mill site that operated for about 100 years and today we've spent over 12 million in cleanup and Remediation which includes removing pre-assault piles and tires recycling concrete and old rebar and removing a deep sea Wharf in Warehouse we are currently undertaking Works to prepare the site for construction and this includes further remediation work constructing a new passenger Dock and demolition work we recently capped the old landfill on site which reduces the amount the amount of water that needs to be treated and then discharge back into how sound what fiber LNG is undertaking studies and analyzes in the event of a natural disaster or threat we are developing rigorous Environmental Management plans that are required by our environmental certificates for protecting the natural and Marine environments we are working closely with Squamish nation and other nations on all of these and with Squamish Nation on a house and Marine use plan all of these plans require a consultation as I mentioned with indigenous groups and other stakeholders and this is ongoing and include specific mitigations for how these plants will be updated and the mitigations monitored on an ongoing basis and then I think it's just worth noting again that our facility will be Net Zero which means it will not contribute any net new emissions from the liquefaction process and we'd be happy to provide more information to Council on that and the last is just an infographic that illustrates the remediation and cleanup activities it's kind of hard to see there on the screen but that's all that we have for you today so again overall I think there's been lots of progress joint progress with Fortis in the district over the past year thank you for your time and we look forward to working with you to ensure this project is providing benefits to your community

John French
0:48:52 (0:00:06)

thanks to the presentation and first I have counselor Stoner and followed by mayor Herford

Jenna Stoner
0:48:59 (0:00:20)

thank you through the chair thank you for the presentation and for being here today I'm curious what conversations if any have happened about having fortis's Workforce on the floetel and why that wasn't submitted as a joint application for an amendment to the eao

SPEAKER_08
0:49:19 (0:00:24)

so as you are aware we are trying to work closely as much as we can but there are two separate projects with two separate regulatory processes and two different schedules we are responsible for our Workforce and they are responsible for theirs and again we will follow all the regulations and the requirements that we can but we will work together as we can but they are two separate projects

SPEAKER_10
0:49:44 (0:00:16)

I would also mention thank you for the question the portion of fortis's Workforce that will be on the wood fiber site is relatively small and our floatel is situated adjacent to site to keep workers out of the community so there would still need to be a transport of workers to the community

Jenna Stoner
0:50:00 (0:00:52)

thank you but just to follow up and so I appreciate that they are two separate companies but Fortis is an energy delivery company their project would not exist if it were not for your project and so you are setting the timelines and you are setting the capacity availability for this project for what for Fortis to move ahead I heard from you miss Diamond that you take it as a significant responsibility to lessen the impacts of this project in our community and so I'm curious when you'll take responsibility for the cumulative impacts that your decisions are having on our community we do not have a plan for the workers that are coming in 2023 yes they are being hired by contractors of Fortis but by a timeline that you have set out and so what responsibility will you take to make sure that our community is safe based on the timeline that you are pressing

SPEAKER_08
0:50:52 (0:00:23)

so we will work with Fortis to influence and make sure that they are addressing the community impacts but again it's a separate project and we will make sure that our Workforce and that they are taking steps to make sure to minimize their Workforce with them but we cannot have the two of them together because they are two separate projects and two different separate work schedules

Jenna Stoner
0:51:15 (0:00:22)

thank you for the chair one final question so is there opportunity if we are not able to find appropriate Workforce accommodation for Fortis is there opportunity to delay Construction or is that timeline being set by you why does construction need to start in February of 2023 when there's no plan in place

SPEAKER_08
0:51:38 (0:00:16)

the projects will work together to address the community impacts but the schedules are different and we will continue to work with the Squamish and certainly through the technical working group with Squamish District Fortis and with wood fiber to address those concerns

Jenna Stoner
0:51:55 (0:00:04)

sorry my question is which company is setting the timeline

SPEAKER_08
0:51:59 (0:00:08)

we both are working together to establish those timelines to meet the construction schedules

John French
0:52:07 (0:00:04)

error for followed by councilor pettingell

Armand Hurford
0:52:12 (0:00:18)

thank you um I guess for our wing folks we saw some numbers earlier from Fortis is there an update on works or worker numbers if any for this coming season

SPEAKER_10
0:52:30 (0:00:04)

we would be happy to share that with you

Armand Hurford
0:52:35 (0:00:20)

okay is that is that information available now so we can discuss I'm trying to we heard a three was about 325 something like that from Fortis is there is there a number a rough number you could share with us at this point as to what we should be expecting specific to your portion of this project for this summer

SPEAKER_08
0:52:55 (0:00:12)

for the summer so currently we have about 30 between 30 and 40 people working on site during the early construction we expect about 100 to 125 most of those being local

Armand Hurford
0:53:08 (0:00:18)

foreign what are you using to Define that during the construction like is that is that this specific to my question is that this summer I'm trying to build this accumulative piece in my in my mind

SPEAKER_08
0:53:26 (0:00:08)

the ogc the BC oil and gas will determine when construction starts we're currently still in early Works in site

Armand Hurford
0:53:34 (0:00:41)

preparation okay your we heard earlier that there will be a an influx of workers on the Fortis portion of this project prior to having the workforce accommodation in place do we have a commitment from wlng that there will be a plan for the workforce before work commences to avoid this I'd say undesirable outcome where we have workers in the community before we have the capacity to house them in the preferred way

SPEAKER_08
0:54:15 (0:00:19)

so as I said most of our workers right now are I think all of them are local who are on site and we anticipate about 100 to 125 Coming at the start of construction which will happen later this year but most of those if not all of them will be local or from the Lower Mainland

SPEAKER_10
0:54:34 (0:00:13)

and in cases in which they are not we do have units rented at Sirocco in Squamish and we're continuing to look at how that feeds in and how that's a mitigation within our community services and infrastructure management plan

Armand Hurford
0:54:48 (0:01:39)

okay I think it's I think it's crucial to understand where those things or how these things line up as far as the timing and thus usefulness of the floatel to minimize the impacts of the community which is your desired which is the jointly desired outcome and I don't think that we achieve that in a case where we don't have the accommodation there and ready when the workforce arrives and that's um so we're looking at 450 total this summer and I haven't heard that there's a substantive plan around that and that's challenging for me just minimize the statement there I'm curious the on the other side on the on the wood fiber site there's a I believe it's a Fortis responsibility around the compressor station there's some in your present in the wlng presentation we heard about changes to the project to minimize the environmental impacts and my understanding there's still compression compressor station there that is that is going to be powered by natural gas and when there's quite it's been very well it's highlighted in other presentations that there's an abundance of electrical power there so could someone speak to why that particular piece is as it is and how that goes into the overall projects GHC calculations

SPEAKER_20
0:56:28 (0:01:05)

thank you for the question we evaluated the use of electric motor driven compressors at the revised location you know as part as Vanessa mentioned earlier we had Amendment application number one there was four proposed changes one of those changes was to relocate the Squamish compressor station otherwise known as V2 from Mount Mulligan over to the wood fiber cytus and as part of that analysis we reviewed the use of electric motor driven compressors we did a series of analysis both with the eao and Squamish Nation and what we found was that it didn't provide the desired reliability however as part of our commitment we will be constructing the site in such a way as to facilitate the adoption of electric motor driven compressors in the future should it become feasible so we wanted to ensure that we reduced future barriers to adoption

Armand Hurford
0:57:33 (0:00:55)

okay so maybe one more and I'll I will perhaps have more material to going forward but I was curious around the we hear the worker code of conduct I think has been given a lot of weight I've reviewed what I think was an early draft and I found it I found it lacking but I understand that work is ongoing there so I'll I hope that it comes to a better place but can you speak to the alignment between the worker code of conduct for workers on the various portions of the overall project so that specifically would be the any worker code of conduct work on from wlng and from Fortis and how that particular piece would be has been developed and jointly or otherwise

SPEAKER_08
0:58:29 (0:00:52)

yes so I can speak to the worker code of conduct for wood fiber yes it's under development and as our colleagues at wood fiber said there are going to be contractors on both projects and they will have their own HR policies and all Union policies and all those kind of things but the word worker code of conduct will allow wood fiber certainly on our site and we'll probably work together on sort of the Fortis site to remove people from the project so violations of the code of conduct will have consequences up to being permanently banned from site so we're not firing you from your contractor but you will not be allowed to work on the project and all of the code of conduct will be part of our orientation if people choose not to sign it that's okay they just choose not to work on the project

Armand Hurford
0:59:21 (0:00:13)

so my question was specifically around the alignment of the code of conduct the implementation of I understand and we've been we've heard a little bit about that from both sides and I appreciate that the alignment are working from the same code of conduct

SPEAKER_08
0:59:34 (0:00:34)

I don't know if we'll be able to have the same code of conduct but it will have a lot of the same feelings because they are separate projects and they'll be working with their different contractors and will be working with ours so we will certainly through a we're working on a community feedback process where we'll align so there can be a one sort of window approach for the district for the community for anybody the workers the general public to reach out to us and we'll ensure that we are aligned and making sure that any concerns or questions from either pro project are addressed in a timely manner

Armand Hurford
1:00:09 (0:00:04)

so there's no formal process between the two entities to align the worker code of

SPEAKER_08
1:00:14 (0:00:25)

conduct workers separate contractors but we will certainly work together and a lot of the worker code of conducts will be have similar content and similar expectations outlining behaviors attitudes and safety for on and off the project

Armand Hurford
1:00:39 (0:00:03)

sorry I do have one I have one more and then I'll conceive I'm just

John French
1:00:43 (0:00:04)

curious Mr Marshall looked like he might want to add to that you're good okay go ahead

Armand Hurford
1:00:47 (0:00:18)

mayor Hereford thank you on the on the wlng site what is the workers schedule like as far as are they are they working you know five days five days a week in general is it in for the chunks of time and out for chunks of time and has that been established

SPEAKER_08
1:01:06 (0:00:13)

we as we are it has not been established yet but usually it's two weeks on one week off and it's two weeks straight working usually 10 to 10 hour days

Armand Hurford
1:01:20 (0:00:04)

and this differs on the Fortis side is that correct

SPEAKER_20
1:01:25 (0:00:20)

that's that's correct so we'll have two separate contractors on the wood fiber site there's our tunnel contractor which has been established as Frontier camper Michael's joint venture and they'll be working roughly 10 to 12 hour days and then the facilities portion which is the Squamish compressor station which I discussed earlier that'll be more of a traditional 10 hour day

John French
1:01:46 (0:00:02)

thank you councilor pettingell

Chris Pettingill
1:01:48 (0:01:00)

yeah I've got lots so I guess just cut me off when it's time to go to somebody else and then come back to me I'm trying to wrap my head around like I think we understand that from an eao from their regulatory process these are two separate projects but from Community impacts they are not it's one project and um wood fibers the sole beneficiary of the pipeline and from many previous presentations it's been said over and over again that wood fiber is paying a hundred percent of the cost of the pipeline so I'm trying to understand what is preventing wood fiber from taking responsibility for a lot of these aspects of the Fortis project like what is the obstacle there is Fortis refusing to take more money to alleviate some of these things are they refusing to accept an extended timeline or is wood fiber refusing to allow that to address some of these Community concerns

SPEAKER_10
1:02:48 (0:00:47)

I wouldn't say it's a it's about money I would go back to the issue of the projects being completely separated um and needing to report into their environmental assessment office we do work closely together we meet regularly with Fortis at the stop level and the senior management level and very regularly on a monthly basis with the district to try and tell that story of combined impacts and we think those conversations have been going well also providing an outlook on where are the joint permitting opportunities where what is the outlook for permits that are required by both projects and how that may impact capacity at the district and I think it was mentioned that we do have a capacity funding agreement in place with the district it sounds like Fortis is looking at further capacity improvements and um yeah that's what I can say on that

Chris Pettingill
1:03:36 (0:00:57)

sorry but I think you're still on answering the question because I don't understand and I think you will see from our Communications as a district we have not seen that coordination and it's not just an issue of communication we're looking for coordinated planning so an understanding we still after asking for I don't know how many years can't get a graph of here's the combined Workforce of the two projects like what what's stopping you guys from hiring a team that you know a project manager and a few people that coordinate the pieces of the of these two projects like that doesn't stop you from submitting separate applications to the governments it's it seems like there's some for some reason you're unwilling to work together and that's a real problem for our community we're trying to understand these projects collectively because they have a massive cumulative impact and we need to plan around that so like what is the obstacle what do we need to change to move past this

SPEAKER_10
1:04:34 (0:00:30)

foreign we have provided cumulative Workforce numbers and curves through District staff and we would be happy to share that um with Council directly as well I would say the combined impacts of the project are limited in terms of the workforce influx on the community we may see some impacts on traffic and those will be determined through our traffic management plan but as I mentioned we've identified fortis's mitigations and then what other further mitigations do we need to put in place for wood fiber for to address some of those combined

Chris Pettingill
1:05:04 (0:00:49)

impacts okay I think I saw some question that looks from our staff if there if there's actually coordinated planning and documents that speak to the coordinated plans I think we would all love to see those I still though you know in terms of some of the concerns that have been raised about the Fortis project what is the obstacle you know why can't wood fiber say to Fortis yes you can have more time you can have more money to resolve these situations or as far as refusing to accept that extra room to address some of these Community concerns around the you know we've spoken to them many times today already

SPEAKER_08
1:05:54 (0:00:24)

well we'll continue to work together but again we have to stress that there are two regulatory processes and two separate projects so we will collaborate and work together and address this through the technical working group but that is that is the way that it's going to be there's two different schedules and two different projects and two regulatory processes that are also running on different schedules

Chris Pettingill
1:06:18 (0:00:20)

yeah thank you but just because I'm not asking you if these are two separate projects I know they are from the EA process but what is preventing wood fiber from saying to Fortis hey we're hearing there's these concerns about your project we will give you some more time we will give you some more funding to resolve these what is stopping wood fiber from doing those two things

SPEAKER_08
1:06:39 (0:00:14)

we continue to work with wood fiber to we do not have the even though we were paying for it they are separate projects and they are we're relying on their expertise to run their project and they're relying on us to our expertise to run our project

Chris Pettingill
1:06:54 (0:00:18)

okay I'll move on for now I'm wondering are codes of conducts at work camps and some social services and Rec at work camps are those fairly typical these days or is this something unique to what Fortis is proposing

SPEAKER_20
1:07:13 (0:00:25)

I would say many of the many of the aspects that we've Incorporated are fairly standard nowadays and but there are things that we're doing to go above and beyond what's typical and so we've worked with I can't speak to specifics right now because we're in the middle of a regulatory process but some of the commitments that we'll be making as part of our approvals will be in excess of what's typical for industry today

Chris Pettingill
1:07:38 (0:00:27)

okay it would be good to understand that because I think you know just speaking to the concerns about mitigations they haven't seen sufficient to us into the community and you know we haven't seen great outcomes from other work camps and so if you're doing pretty much the same thing why are we expecting a different outcome here and I think we're trying to understand what are the major fundamental differences about what's proposed with this work Camp that's going to result in a different outcome than kind of all the other work camps

SPEAKER_10
1:08:06 (0:00:29)

sorry I just want to add to that we do monitor government committees around looking at the national inquiry on missing and murdered indigenous women and they want to reiterate we take those recommendations very seriously um we are we are working with the district right now we've heard concerns about gender safety topics and we are looking to develop programming to roll out with Community stakeholders like house own Women's Center Sea to Sky community services and others but we take it very seriously

Chris Pettingill
1:08:36 (0:00:58)

okay thanks this one is I guess a bit more for Fords I went to the November engagement and what I understood from the people that I spoke to was that some of your subcontractors had gone ahead and booked hotels but that wasn't what Fortis wanted and that wasn't the expectation and I sort of communicated that I think if we want to sort of set a positive tone it might be worthwhile asking them to back out of those and find a different solution sort of show good faith but now I'm hearing you know it sounds like this is actually the fortis's plan so is fortis's plan to take up our very limited tourism Hotel stock and so on that is the sort of to push this forward you know that is what force is asking at subcontractors and it's employees to do to take up our existing housing stock and tourism stock

SPEAKER_20
1:09:34 (0:00:22)

our contractor Frontier camper Michaels booked the hotel and we were we were aware of that we continue to work with our other contractors to look at Alternatives which may include local hotels and other options so we continue we're in the we're continuing to explore options at this time in the absence of a Workforce Lodge

Chris Pettingill
1:09:56 (0:00:26)

okay and I'm just wondering with Sirocco I understand that there was ingredients in place and some understanding that people might have to move out but I'm just wondering are these people that were having to leave the community anyways or at the end of the day are we still ending up with 40 45 families that are going to be without a home now when this project moves forward

SPEAKER_08
1:10:23 (0:00:15)

I can't speak the details of individual families or residents but I do know that every tenant who has subleased from with fiber it was aware of that it was a short-term lease and it understood that and we're happy with that arrangement

Chris Pettingill
1:10:39 (0:00:53)

okay thanks I want to dig into engagement a little bit again I went to the um the wood fiber engagement and one thing I noticed is some of the boards look like they were very old they they're talking about an upcoming application for the project to the eao not an amendment and an application so and I saw you know marketing campaigns from four years ago and I found it very confusing to figure out what this project was about like are they proposing a new a new project because it was like this you know new application coming up so it seemed like there was a bunch of historical boards and so on it was very confusing to understand where is this project what's happening I'm just wondering if you can speak to what happened there and going forward how you'll make sure that engagement information is actually current and

SPEAKER_10
1:11:32 (0:00:22)

relevant Sports were produced specifically for the open house and the community services and infrastructure Roundtable my understanding is they feature new photos and initiatives that we've undertaken at least since I've been at wood fiber over the past year so noted and thank you

Chris Pettingill
1:11:54 (0:01:39)

okay and this one's a little more difficult I you know you mentioned The Advocate that were at the event and you know In fairness there are a couple of CMS who spoke about the project and introduced it there were some Advocates that raised a sign but there's also a group of Squamish Nation Elders that were quite concerned about the project and what it meant and there was a rather difficult interaction with the RCMP as well which I think left a bad taste in many people's mouths and then also speaking to people coming out of some of the forest engagements or the most recent Forest engagement especially people who have had to deal with sexual assault they are finding interacting with this project providing feedback getting information attending these this engage these engagements very triggering and difficult and the responses don't leave them feeling listened to or heard or that anyone is watching out for their interests so how are your projects addressing these sorts of concerns so that the engagements are really hearing from people and making people feel safe to attend them and that their feedback is relevant and being listened to and they can see plans they can see their feedback reflected in plans like how are we going to address these challenges

SPEAKER_10
1:13:33 (0:00:43)

so I will start by acknowledging on behalf of wood fiber that we made a mistake at our open house in terms of how those voices were managed and the over-reliance that we had on the RCMP so we apologize for that um and we're committed to doing better next time we are doing specific and targeted Outreach as we look to defend develop our gender-based programming and sexual assault prevention programming and we look forward to working with specific community members and Nation members for how they want to be engaged in the development of that programming we will ensure that there's robust plans and adequate internal resources put towards potential protest activity in but the future those are that's not something that we're prepared to discuss today at a public forum

SPEAKER_02
1:14:17 (0:00:40)

I'll just um maybe speak for a moment to say you know we have designed our engagements in a way that are safer folks to participate and also welcome any range of perspectives on the project want people to