Committee of the Whole - 28 Feb 2023


1: Welcome to the Squamish Nation Traditional Territory
2: ADOPTION OF AGENDA
3: DELEGATIONS
3.i: Downtown Squamish Business Improvement Association
3.ii: Squamish Arts Council Annual Update
4: STAFF REPORTS
4.i: Three Summits (38201 Third Avenue) Land Development Agreement Amendment and Initial Development Permit (DP000585) Review
4.ii: Public Works Facility and Indicative Cost Update
4.iii: Lower Mainland Local Government Association: 2023 Request for Resolution Submissions
5: TERMINATION
Welcome, Delegation: Downtown Business Improvement Association
0:00:00 (0:36:20)

At the council meeting, Carrie Neal, the executive director of the Downtown Squamish Business Improvement Association (Bia), presented the Bia's mission of providing value to their members, keeping the downtown area beautiful, and supporting businesses in achieving economic success. The Bia has four key program areas: promotion, street enhancements, safety, and member relations, and has created several community events, such as a Mural Walk, Open Street Day, Pumpkin Patch in the Park, and the Squamish Holiday Parade. The Bia is looking to create a new event, Squamish Celebrates Canada, in collaboration with the Squamish Nation, District of Squamish, and other relevant voices. The board has had discussions about expanding the Bia boundary to the north and is reaching out to current members to gain support for expanding boundaries. The Bia is also looking to partner with the District of Squamish to support all activations and events in downtown Squamish and is looking to collaborate with the RCMP to build broader community safety in the downtown core. Public comments included questions around boundary for bylaw renewal, strategic plan to support and promote safe and crime-free downtown, and staff's openness to Council's direction regarding the renewal of the agreements with the two groups providing grants to the community in 2024.

Chris Pettingill
0:00:02 (0:01:03)

foreign welcome to the Squamish Nation unseated in traditional territory I am councilor Chris Pettingill acting mayor for the month of February I guess it's my last day and I'm chairing today's community of the whole with that I'll ask for a motion for an adoption of the agenda councilor French counselor green law seconds all those in favor an opposed motion carries thank you and moving quickly I'll pass it to Miss Ms Neil from the downtown Dia for well I'll let you tell us what you're talking to us a bit

SPEAKER_14
0:01:06 (0:20:55)

towards me is that good okay thanks everybody for having me my name is Carrie Neal I am the executive director for the downtown School business Improvement Association I have been with the Bia for a couple of years I joined in the summer of 2020. it was a very interesting time to become take over this organization and I am joined today by two of my board members um Adrian Brusha who's our president and Katie UE who is one of our directors so they're here to support me in from behind no heckling I'm grateful um that the Bia gets this opportunity today to talk to you about all the wonderful things that we're doing in the community we'll pay excuse me I'm a bit of a paper lapper too because I came just bear with me if that makes a lot of noise I'll start with the Downtown squamish's Vision and the downtown school which is a thriving business district culturally economically vibrant promoting inclusive and diverse community that is welcoming to all our mission is to provide value to our members to keep our downtown beautiful and to support our businesses and achieving economic success we Advocate on behalf of our businesses and collaborate with others to create a sustainable Equitable and cultural accessible downtown Squamish there are a number of ways we promote our downtown businesses to achieve financial success beautification we engage the community enhance and enhance the beautification of downtown we support and engage our business membership and we Advocate on behalf of our businesses a little bit about us we're establishing 2006 the downtown Scottish Bia is an association that works in partnership with small businesses and property owners in downtown Squamish we are creating a culture and economically vibrant and thriving downtown core and by undertaking a number of programs which include branding marketing social media beautification community events commercial tenant Recruitment and advocacy and our work is to attract football to our catchment area whether that's through events marketing campaigns advocacy or beautification supporting our business and Property Owners is actually our priority we have a great team I am the only staff member of the Bia and I report to nine directors made up of downtown Squamish business owners and at the end of 2022 we were sitting at 214 members the downtown Squamish has four key program and service errors oh it worked yay sorry I wasn't sure and we have different titles to these things I'll explain it a little bit more about what each of those four Key Program areas are we provide and promote initiatives campaigns and events that become known throughout the community ensuring that both local and visiting public are aware of and support the services of the and Retail in the downtown core the second one is Street enhancements so we lead and support Street enhancement projects with our members to maintain a welcome in downtown and bring in more awareness in football and traffic into downtown foot for traffic not more traffic foot traffic sorry into downtown with regards to safety and crime we support and promote a crime-free downtown and providing the resources needed to keep our members informed about matters relating to safety and what is going on in the downtown core in relation to Crime and then advocacy and member relations we advocate for our members on land use planning developments and related businesses issues in downtown by working closely with the district and other members to identify and find Solutions in addition to these program areas our strategic plan is also structured has a structure around operations and governance for the Bia and we have developed key commitments for the board staff and volunteers and the overall marketing of our organization and back to those program areas we have some five-year goals and I'm just going to put them up and not read them out to you if you can if you can look and I just want to speak to I don't know what I don't want to get too far in the weeds of our strategic plan it's a big plan but suffice to say we have these four Key Program areas these are our goals our Five-Year Plan goals and one of the areas we're really focusing right now is our advocacy and member relations and we'll shortly be sending out our annual survey to the members to cover that we are still heading in the right direction on our priorities and then we are looking to host three power lunches over the course of the year to bring our members together to talk collaboration to talk about our priorities and to have invited speakers there it's been a long time since the bi a Bia members have all been a room together and it's time that we start bringing those everybody together in relation to the district of Squamish um we are fortunate to be connected with so many departments at the District of Squamish and more closely our work is with Recreation arts and culture on events and activations downtown and the team Economic Development um you can see we have what we've been involved with regards to Economic Development over the last few years the covid-19 response here for Squamish the patio and Parks program the business census and more recently I reached out to Economic Development to chat about a pilot program for a facade Improvement a program for facade Improvement a program that will help to improve the appearance of commercial buildings downtown obviously enhance the streetscape and make a more aesthetically pleasing downtown and last year we work with the climate change assistant sustainability department and our Squamish placemaking Society to bring the first open Street day to downtown I just wanted to like show the bia's alignment with the overall ocp goals and the overall and very common goal here is making downtown Squamish desirable and a welcoming place to live work and play in relation to the larger ocp goals I can confirm that the Bia are already focusing on a number of these which I've highlighted in this slide with regards to downtown Squamish we are focusing on downtown land uses in the public realm with regards to climate change mitigation and adaptation we have a focus on active transportation and Community communicating that through open Street days with regards to transportation and Mobility we have a focus on Regional Transportation downtown Transit and active Transportation infrastructure with regards to Public Safety and we have a focus on community safety and emergency preparedness communication that's something I've been speaking with communication here at the district recently following the recent floods and snow and all those things how we can share the information quickly or assist in getting that out to the community with regards to Economic Development we have a focus on employment training business growth and supporting the economic development of downtown sorry take a breath okay Community Health and Wellness we have a focus on inclusion accessibility and our stretched Health System it affects our downtown business Community as well as it does everybody else across the town with regards to Arts culture and Heritage we have we have a focus to develop downtown school mission as a major destination and hosting events to promote Local Economic Development we just want to create downtown to be the Hub of and vibrant and improve access and promote the benefits of access to arts and public health and more recently public art sorry and more recently preserving art and culture that we're creating I want to just touch on the fact we have many Community Partners in Squamish now a huge priority for me when I came into this role was to create Community Partnerships the first thing I noticed when I started with the Bia is we were a bit of a lone wolf we didn't really have that many Partnerships within the community we seem to be by ourselves and I thought that's neither efficient use of our time or helpful in meeting the goals so first Port of Call for me was to reach out to other groups in the community and as you can see here over the last couple of years we've made some big leaps we've worked with article which place making society and creating downtown Planters open Street day the cover bike parking and we're now supporting the Second Avenue parkler that they are putting forward tourism commission Chamber of Commerce we work with them on light up Squamish support local videos and we sit on an advocacy committee together um squamous Arts working with them for Squamish mural walk and Squamish artwork which I'll speak to a little bit later and then the Rotary Club of Squamish the pumpkin patch and the men shed Society who I think some of you know because you might have got a preview of our Sledge of our sled for the 2020 Santa sleigh project and yeah they create this amazing slay and Liesel Peterson come and did it for us so yeah we just everybody was helping and we're exploring possible collaborations with a number of other groups within our community and pride squamous youth Council Community Futures Squamish Nation how many times can you say Squamish in a presentation and squirmish mobility and accessibility committee I pulled this from the official community plan I won't read it to you because I'm sure you know but when we I just wanted to let you know that when we review current initiatives and events or are looking to organize new ones as the Bia we are constantly reviewing district and Community goals to make sure we are aligned and at the end of the day we feel that Although our mandates might vary we're all singing from the same song sheet um and it's our priority everybody's priority is the commitment to health of Squamish and then that just leads me on to talk to you about our events and activations and I will go through these pretty quickly looking at my time sorry one of our goals is to activate downtown Squamish through inclusive and sustainable events we want to attract local community and tourism and we want to bring footfall to downtown and in the doors of our downtown businesses um I just wanted to give you a Roundup of our current community events the mural walk open Street day pumpkin patch in the park and the Squamish holiday parade and in 2023 if we receive funding from celebrate Canada which we should hear any day now we're looking to add this an event called Squamish celebrates Canada a journey to reconciliation and I will speak to that a little bit on that slide as well as a possible Earth Day Festival sorry hey and just to touch on the Squamish mural walk it was born in 2021 a pivotal moment for the Bia as we created our Five-Year Plan I was inspired by Alex folks is welcome to Squamish mural and soon realized that Alex and I shared a similar vision for showcasing the murals downtown and we were both very keen to add more so um the Squamish mural walk was born I also have to give kudos to Kat Kinsey who is coming up after me but she was pivotal in the programming and supporting this even before she was executive director of squirmish arts and she's been an amazing Ally and advisor on this project for 2023 we're actually looking to identify a greater percentage of artists from underrepresented groups and communities um you can see here in 2000 in 2021 where we were at seven artists an art and culture Grant we raised 41 000 in additional funding by leveraging the arts and culture Grant and we it was over 120 in volunteer hours and in 2022 we had 11 artists again we got the arts and culture Grant but we also raised an initial 52 or 53 000 in funding and incline support so it just shows you that with the support of the grants how we can leverage that to bring funding from other parts of the community and that offered 200 volunteer hours an open Street day and we are looking for 2023 to actually join forces with the Squamish art walk and so we can offer more programming and live music performance pulling those resources together as I mentioned before you know singing from the same song sheet and we're also applying for the mural walk for a grant from the fairs festival and events fund okay open Street day we were honored to ask to co-organize the open Street day with our Squamish placemaking society and the District of Squamish and we ran that alongside the mural walk last year our hope is to work with our squirmish in the district to make this an annual biannual event yeah I mean basically it celebrates the vibrancy of downtown it has a focus on active transportation the pumpkin patch in the park is a partnership with the Rotary Club of Squamish and we make it as accessible and affordable as possible using sponsorship and volunteers to reduce the overall budget and then donating all the proceeds to a chosen charity or non-for-profit in the society in the community um in 2022 we raised over four thousand dollars and we were able to donate that to Sea to Sky allies for anyone that doesn't know who they are they're an organization that provides education support and resources for parents and caregivers of 2s lgbtq plus Children and Youth in our community and some of the funds have gone towards them creating a sustainable brand and logo and promotional material merchandising and to ensure that they have monthly meetups that are safe and build community around that educa their education and they yeah and provide educational resources each year we donate to a different non-profit so Squamish search and rescue Under One Roof the Women's Center they've all been recipients of this and the kind of feedback we get is that donations like this allows Community groups to do their work or to help them do their work okay the Squamish holiday parade kind of speaks for itself the event was attended by over 4 000 people it had a Hiatus of two years because you know there was a pandemic but it didn't stop people coming out in December the as I mentioned the men should build the sleigh and the current funding comes from the Bia and sponsorship and incline support there was a couple other issues with the holiday parade that we do need to address for this year I think the biggest one was the route the parking the transit and the chaos to get out of downtown after the event so that's something that we we're addressing Squamish celebrates Canada I spoke to that before this event is something that we're putting on putting forward and the feedback that we've got from the community is that people do want to celebrate Canada and everything it is to this growing town and so our thought was to have Squamish celebrates Canada a journey forward to reconciliation and really work it around what Squamish is and what it wants to become and we are very hopeful the Squamish Nation will be playing a vital role in the planning education execution of this alongside the Squamish Nation the District of Squamish tourism Scottish Arts chamber and pride and other relevant voices the it will be a full day of thoughtful programming and it'll give all the attendees an opportunity to appreciate the diversity of the community and we also look to incorporate an open Street day and fingers crossed the funding comes from celebrate Canada and some sponsorship and maybe even the partner organizations if we're fortunate enough and I'm just going to quickly touch on this so I know I don't have a huge amount of time but Earth Day it's proposed for 2020 um it would be an Earth Day Festival and focus on the different ways we care about the Earth and how we want to decrease our human impact on our own community and we would like to look at the issues that are addressed within the community climate action plan and a line that and invite other partners in to help us successfully execute that okay you'll be pleased to know this is my last slide this is my little summary okay we will continue to promote and support our membership and successfully advocate for their interests while continuing to create this vibrant inclusive downtown with accessible initiatives and campaigns and events um we have a desire to collaborate with the district to support the implementation of the bih Strategic plan and the ocp by finding alignments in our shared goals we have already been working with Recreation arts and culture and to deliver activation and activations and events um and we are in communication with economic development team to find a line service and program initiatives but I'm sure there's many more avenues that we can explore together on that note I want to acknowledge the value of an integrated process and that working together is much more effective than working alone and we would like the opportunity to explore the possibility of a partnership with the District of Squamish that which would be in line with our current bylaw and specifically to support our strategic plan priorities to implement the sustainable events and the Bia also recognizes that the District of squamous has an annual planning process or it considers The Five-Year financial plan and we understand there's limited funding so for now we're very keen to just explore further collaborations with the district to leverage grants and funding outside of the municipality okay I can't thank you enough for the opportunity to speak on behalf of the downtown Scottish businesses and the Bia today I think it's a while since we've had our time in council chambers a really long time since we've updated you on what we're doing um and if it didn't come across we are very passionate and very committed to making downtown accessible beautiful activated for everybody for our community and for our tourists our tourists thanks

Chris Pettingill
0:22:01 (0:00:18)

oh thank you I think anyone who's been downtown in the last couple years has seen the just massive increase in vibrancy especially on weekends it's fantastic and it's clear the Bia is at a major role in that so thank you Council any questions councilor French

John French
0:22:20 (0:00:47)

thanks chair and thanks for that presentation that was action-packed you covered a lot of ground very quickly I'm curious about any thoughts on the current Bia boundary so to the north it it's at Pemberton Avenue so that excludes Squamish station jumar and McDonald's 7-Eleven petrocan so my first question is the future of possible expansion to the North and then I'm going to come back with the second question that will focus on the self but maybe you could just share any thoughts you might have and whether the board has had any discussions about Northern expansion of the boundary

SPEAKER_14
0:23:07 (0:01:43)

thanks for the question counselor French we it's definitely something that comes up in our conversations we have had businesses reach out to us from the north side specifically um the a business in the Vantage building because they actually fall outside of our catchment our catchment is the um the south side of the road what we actually did last year was activate an associate membership so if your business was adjacent to our to our boundaries that you could apply for associate membership and the board decided that there would be five of those granted for 2022 2023 but it's definitely something that comes up in our conversation especially as our town grows I think there was creamy before me so I'm speaking hopefully correctly that there was conversations with the strip more so where nesters is and where Save On Foods but I don't think there was a huge support to become part of the Bia and I am assuming that might be related to the fact that the special Levy that's put on is related it comes down to what's the BC assessment of your property so I would think probably the bigger organizer bigger businesses like Save On Foods and nesters probably aren't support weren't supportive but I can definitely look into that a little bit more and give you some more information

John French
0:24:51 (0:00:19)

yeah perfect and you're reminding like left out Chieftain Center Mall that area is also currently excluded so and now to the South is a little bit different because there are no established businesses yet at the oceanfront but we all know there will be so do you have any unique and different thoughts about potential expansion to the

SPEAKER_14
0:25:11 (0:01:09)

South I think it's definitely something we will explore and we are in the third year of our in 2026 we will be looking at a renewal of our bylaws and I think what we have to do as an organization over the next couple of years is actually reach out to our current members and put value on what we're doing to make sure that they're in support of us expanding our boundaries because I think that's an really important that our current membership are on board I would like to think that we will expand the Bia and that we will go into these other areas and to speak to the development that we have on Third Avenue because as of now our um to the east and west it's loggers Lane to Second Avenue and we have a small little cut out area on third so there are businesses on Third Avenue that also on um part of the Bia um so yes I think as we move towards our bylaw reneur in 2026 we this is something that we need to address

John French
0:26:20 (0:00:05)

hey thanks for pointing out that Third Avenue angle because like I overlooked that as well thanks chair that's great

Chris Pettingill
0:26:26 (0:00:03)

mayor Hereford

Armand Hurford
0:26:29 (0:00:42)

thank you for the presentation it was action-packed as counselor French pointed out and such a list of accomplishments it's really remarkable and thank you so much for all that work I was happy to see that open Street day was success was successful and viewed as such by you and your membership and this Earth Day piece as a as pending I'm just curious when we may know more about that because that's really exciting and it's sort of the first one chronologically on your on your list of events so can you speak more to when we could potentially know more about that or

SPEAKER_14
0:27:12 (0:01:07)

if it yeah when my board approves it and I put it to them um no it's it's really just something that's kind of come up recently and I think what we're trying to do is we're gonna we're trying to look for to activate downtown in like shoulder Seasons so we have a lot of events that come through in the summer so if we can look at something like to happen in the springtime we already have the pumpkin patch in the fall so it and I'm very passionate about the Earth and sustainability and I believe so is our community obviously our district is as well so I think it would be something that we'll bring today but really all depends on funding and what funding that we get this year through the grants that we're applying for but I hope that it will be something definitely over the next couple of months that we will be able to share more information on and I haven't yet reached out to the potential partners that I'm pla that I'm planning to chat with this chat this through with so yeah but I thought you guys would like to hear about it

Armand Hurford
0:28:19 (0:01:43)

you thought right for from my perspective so thank you for that and I really am I really like seeing that open Street day concept is something that the down downtown biac's opportunity with and incorporating into future that sort of ability to have an open Street day as viewed as an opera as an opportunity to incorporate that into your into your events and I think that was sort of had been the been the hope that was would be the outcome and having gone through sort of that experiment phase can further refine that so it is the um it can be a an ongoing benefit I think that's great I had some questions around last we discussed the um sort of the bylaw renewal here there were questions around the boundary so I'm happy to hear some discussion around that point and I look forward to you know that date that is a little over the horizon but these things seem to sneak up on us I'd love to have to it's great to hear that will be sort of flushed out by the time we get we get there and that won't be a New Concept because I think I do think it's an important one and to sort of understand why we're drawing the lines where we where we are whatever that is I think is going to be important to support that discussion but we're getting into very Futures so we'll leave that we'll leave that there I was curious around the in your strategic plan the support and promote safe and crime-free downtown I just wonder if you could speak to any specific actions or planning around that piece in particular because it kind of jumped out at me and I and I I'd love to know more about that particular piece

SPEAKER_14
0:30:03 (0:00:56)

yeah thanks for thanks for that my herpid yeah so I think it's really important and something that we're really looking at right now is actually having Communications with the RCMP since the RCMP moved out of downtown we didn't we didn't haven't had much communication but what we're really looking at is actually opening those doors so we can find out more about what's actually happening downtown so we can keep our membership informed we also spearheaded last year one of our at board directors who's here with us today Katie a Second Avenue task force we talk about lighting on those streets safety for the businesses that are open a little bit later at night so they're the kind of discussions that we're having first of all highlighting the issues that we see and then looking to find those Solutions

Armand Hurford
0:31:00 (0:00:35)

great thank you just one more comment I was happy to hear the about the power lunches is that what you call them sorry yeah that was it yeah no I think it's I think it's great to get everyone you know everyone together when you don't have business necessary to move to move forward like you do in a meeting and I would express my interest in attending one of these if that if you thought that was appropriate or helpful but I think it's a great opportunity and to just get everyone together in general and I'll try to invite myself there along the way as I make that comment yourself you're very

SPEAKER_14
0:31:35 (0:00:02)

welcome

Chris Pettingill
0:31:37 (0:00:03)

I'll go to counselor Stoner and then I think we'll wrap it up for this one thank you

Jenna Stoner
0:31:41 (0:00:27)

thank you through the chair a few questions thanks for the presentation the passion comes through strong the first question you mentioned about some interest in the partnership agreement and I know a few years ago we changed the way that we provide Community enhancement grants and I'm wondering if you can just reflect a little bit on what's working and what's not for you as the downtown Bia in this new scenario sure

SPEAKER_14
0:32:09 (0:01:12)

yeah thanks for the question cancer Sona so yes like a few years ago it was changed and now for us to get any funding for any of our events through indirectly through the municipality we apply to Squamish Arts and which is fabulous and fantastic and we obviously put together a good application that we do get funding but the way I see it is that there's also lots of other amazing projects like Grassroots things that need to also happen and while we take a big amount of funding from Squamish Arts these other arts and culture things might not necessarily get off the ground and while we appreciate the support and obviously you know we do the work I personally would or our organization would rather come and have a partnership with the District of Squamish and have a thing in place where it supports all of our activations and events in downtown Squamish

Jenna Stoner
0:33:22 (0:00:12)

okay that's helpful and just for clarification so part of the enhancement grants got moved to Spanish arts and then part to the Squamish Community Foundation so have you gotten any grants through this quamash Community Foundation or is that not applicable

SPEAKER_14
0:33:34 (0:00:11)

no we're not able we're not allowed to apply to both organizations so we can only apply for one and so what was in the thing that needed the funding the most was the Squamish mural walk

Jenna Stoner
0:33:45 (0:00:24)

okay thank you and then maybe just a question to staff in terms of when our next review of that policy comes up and when we might want to start thinking about reflecting on that and how that might change and the request for a partnership agreement which I'm hearing more from A diversity of Community Partners and so I'm just curious if we've given that any thought from a staff perspective

SPEAKER_16
0:34:10 (0:00:38)

thank you through the chair if I may and that's great question counselor Stoner the agreements with the two groups that are providing the grants to the community are up for renewal in 2024 so that means that we will have grants to go out in 2024 and then those agreements can be looked at again open staff are open to council's Direction in terms of where you want us to go if you want a refresh of the program if there are other partners that you're looking at including or that you want to consider as part of the renewal of the agreements

Jenna Stoner
0:34:49 (0:00:51)

fantastic thank you it's helpful to have that time frame and thank you for coming forward with the context of what would what is and what isn't working my other question just briefly building on mayor's hereford's question is the piece around member and customer safety jumped out at me as well in terms of your strategic plan and appreciate that might be a growing concern downtown I'm just curious the RCMP is one Avenue for collaboration I am hoping that maybe you've also reached out to Helping Hands and in particular their community outreach team and just how we think about building broader Community safety in the downtown core and that partnership between the business Community are folks who are harder to house and the residents of the downtown core

SPEAKER_14
0:35:40 (0:00:17)

we haven't reached out to Under One Roof so I appreciate that comment um so that yeah that's definitely an ex an Avenue we can explore um they are the feet on the ground down there yeah so I think it would be important thanks thank you

Chris Pettingill
0:35:58 (0:00:41)

okay well thank you very much again lots of exciting stuff anyone who's gone downtown can see that so thank you once again to everyone who's contributing to that and I will invite Squamish Arts to come up next and is it Ms Coons or kunzi okay I made that mistake before so I'm glad I have so are we

Delegation: Squamish Arts Council Update
0:36:20 (0:50:34)

At the council meeting, three agreements between Squamish Arts and the District were discussed: Community Partnership Agreement, Public Art Agreement, and Community Arts and Culture Grants. Kat Kunzi, the Executive Director of Squamish Arts, shared their mission and updated branding, strategic plan, and programs, including Youth Programs, Squamish Arts Festival, Art Walk, Grateful Shred, Community Galleries, Art School, and an Online Governance Training program. There was also discussion of the Public Art Program, Foundation Building initiative, GIS databases, public art maintenance, and the use of Squamish Arts' activity spaces, as well as the Scottish Arts Council's Community Partnership Agreement and return on investment. Public comments included questions about the governance piece, the next steps in the process, ongoing maintenance for public art, cultural space uses and potential, tendering practices for larger projects, Community Theater, and suspending the agenda order.

SPEAKER_16
0:36:39 (0:00:08)

if I may share I just have a an overview that I would like to give to council before Catherine presents that's okay

Chris Pettingill
0:36:48 (0:00:04)

sure yeah so I will turn it over to you Ms Morris and yeah take us

SPEAKER_16
0:36:52 (0:04:07)

away um good afternoon Council my name is Sarah Morris and I am the manager of arts and culture for the District of Squamish my pronouns are she her so feel free to address me in that manner I'm joined today by Catherine coonsie from the Squamish Arts Council and before um sorry I'm going to rephrase Squamish Arts they've dropped the council It's A Hard Habit to kick but that's a new name so here we are and I'm going to just give Council a quick overview of the three agreements that we have in place with this organization because it is a little bit confusing if you don't deal with it on a day-to-day basis so um we have three agreements in place the first one being the community partnership agreement um and that is related to the Community Partnership policy the funding is forty five thousand dollars and that sits in the arts and culture operational annual budget and that agreement is up for Renewal this year so highlighted in red there and the second agreement is the public art agreement and that is funded through the public art policy one percent of capital funding per year goes to public art in the community 50 000 of which is included in an agreement with Squamish Arts who run a public art program and that agreement is also up for Renewal this year and then the third agreement is the community grants agreement which is valued at 54 000 and that will be up for renewal in 2024. thank you um so the purpose of the community partnership agreement is to provide funding stability for Squamish Arts this enables them to have a platform in which to operate every year to employ a staff member and give them the ability to leverage additional funding through grants from the provincial and federal government the agreement requires the Squamish art Squamish Arts group to provide an annual work plan which is presented to the director of recreation and the initiatives in that plan need to align with the Arts culture and Heritage strategy and also with the ocp it encourages collaboration to enhance the Arts sector in Squamish and requires an annual presentation to council and the public art agreement so related to the public art policy the public art advisor is a partner of the district who run the public art program on behalf of the District of Squamish and the program is presented to the director of recreation in an annual work plan and the Squamish Arts group are responsible for initiating public art competitions advising on inventory management and as part of that agreement they need to present to Council on the program every year and finally the community arts and culture grants as we just referenced in the previous presentation the Squamish Arts group are one of our grant Partners they distribute a certain amount of money through grants every year to the community on behalf of the district and as part of that agreement the Squamish Arts group writer reports this year AO who approves the grants and then they distribute the funding annually and present to council so that's the three agreements that Catherine is going to be presenting on today and I can hand it over to her foreign

SPEAKER_18
0:40:59 (0:23:18)

thank you Sarah since I'm new to some of you on Council I'll do a quick introduction of myself I'm Kat kunzi I go by she her I've done work as the executive director at Squamish Arts since September of 2021 however I was before that involved with the board since October of 2019 so I'm very familiar with the organization before moving to Squamish around seven years ago I received my MBA and also a master's in arts Management in a program that was created to create Arts leadership I also worked in museums and in music festivals and the reason that I bring that up is because that's some of the core competencies for the role and as a leader of Squamish arts and I'm happy to bring that experience to bring more arts and culture to swamish so starting with what we'll look at today I'll do a brief introduction of the organization then we'll look at the three agreements that Sarah introduced to us and then looking at what comes next for the future of our organization so the Squamish Arts mission is to raise awareness of and improve access to arts and culture and Squamish welp of supporting local artists our vision is where arts and culture are embedded into the fabric of squamishes community and considered a vital component of its identity and hopefully you'll see that through the programming that I'll talk about soon so really exciting we did a branding update that was launched in 2022 as Sarah talked about we did drop the word counsel from our name this was to align a bit better with our neighbors like Arts Whistler and North Van Arts but also because the word council was confusing towards people who didn't necessarily understand like Council here versus us as a council additionally we found that this was a great opportunity to really look at our organization as a community-based Arts organization instead of a council and so it gave us an opportunity to both Rebrand a Squamish Arts but also to Rebrand all of our sub Brands and programs so you'll see that now there's one cohesive brand identity tying not only us as our organization but all of our main programs together we also changed the name of Squamish wind festival for the Arts which was again confusing to people who didn't understand the difference between buen Fest and kite Clash which were at one point more similar I think at one point they were together and then after separating many years ago that became very confusing to people so we now have Squamish Arts Festival no confusion and so happy to show that to you today we also launched a new strategic plan in 2022 this three-year strategic plan was built on a lot of community consultation and also the board's Direction and we were able to bring an outside consultant to help pull that information together the four strategic priorities are listed here so they really look at capacity building Equity diversity inclusion accessibility and decolonization programming and awareness programming and awareness and also deepening our community collaborations and that is on our website so I invite anyone that's interested in more information to go check that out so the first agreement I'll start with is our partnership agreement I've broken this into two different categories being Youth and public programs the first looking at youth programs would be amped in the park this was a program that was started in 2017. this year it has grown and become something really beautiful not that it wasn't always but it just keeps growing um so we had seven nights seven nights this year with 28 different performances over a thousand audience members and 28 volunteer hours this is primarily a volunteer run program and we're very lucky to have extremely passionate volunteers for this program something that's unique about this program is it allows us to give emerging artists the opportunity to perform sometimes for the first time in their lives and so it does work with mostly youth although we do have some older performance performers additionally it gives us the opportunity to help train youth in Sound Engineering so we have specifically one youth that we worked with last year who Brian one of our Engineers was telling me like he has such a good ear this is amazing and so not only is it for the performer but for people learning how to work in sound design and then something that was enabled through amp that I just wanted to comment on was that in 2017 the district allowed us to provided the funding to purchase a PA system that could also be used as a Community Asset and so um we let other non-profit groups use this PA system with our trusted sound techs for asking them to just pay an honorarium to the text to work it sometimes are very passionate sound techs offer to work it for free for events that they find they would like to support so for instance Truth and Reconciliation day was completely for use of the PA system and all because of I am and for the districts offering us this PA system however this year we were able to add an additional eight thousand dollars of equipment to it so we're really growing on what was provided originally to be able to provide more to the community moving on we have youth mentorship so every summer we bring on summer student jobs this year we had two students working 1600 hours and around twenty two thousand dollars of funding that we put out and as part of this program although we only brought in eight thousand dollars through the granting program so we provided much more than we were given in to be able to provide these opportunities to students additionally this year we received our first Canada Heritage funding for the art walk program so we were able to bring on our first ever and Art Walk coordinators to have additional Art Space vocational training in that regard as well as an art walk curator which provided a lot of support to the artist so that they weren't involved they weren't responsible for fully hanging all of their art as part of that program um moving on to Squamish Arts Festival this is our largest annual program and I'll start with some statistics so we raised over a hundred and seventy thousand dollars in cash to put this program on in addition that we erase another forty three thousand dollars of in-kind contributions so the total programmatic spend is putting two hundred thousand dollars back into the local economy we were able to bring 134 artists artisan and Heritage performers 13 local Partners 43 volunteers and 317 volunteer hours um we did this through a variety of events so starting with the live music and dance we had five separate live music performances two of which were full Festival days one that put that took place at Junction Park that had 12 hours of stage programming and so we went from 10 to 10 and we had live performances circus roaming performances live art an artist Marketplace and also our first ever indigenous headliner we also had so that was a little over four thousand participants we also had a full day at the swamish oceanfront which was food trucks stage performances and that was made possible through partnership with Matthews West we also had two nights at the brackendoll art gallery on Fridays so this was two full weeks of programming which then also included workshops so we had eight days of workshops 12 different in those times this included watercolor traditional drum making traditional weaving Ceramics just kind of a big variety also through a partnership with little Bookshop we were able to offer creative writing this year so we're looking at all of the different arts and how we can include all the other all the Arts we also provided many Arts opportunities for artists so that would include seven live painters and then 10 artists doing random acts of art which we put art kind of into the environment so as people walk downtown they can have live poetry or if they're at the seat of the Sky Gondola they can see live painting So this one gives opportunities for artists to be seen in the community as well as for us to advertise for our bigger events moving on to Art Walk as I said before this was our first year to receive Canada Heritage festivals funding which allowed us to grow this event quite significantly from having art and venues to doing programming and live music and Studio tours to also help support the event this is something that we're looking to continue to grow and as you heard from Carrie earlier we will be looking to have mural walk and art walk on the same weekend so that we can have Studio tours all across town as well as more live music and then also partner to have different hubs across the town with the mural walk Hub being the downtown hub another thing that we started this year is the Grateful shred so this came through a partnership with the Grateful gift shop looking to connect more with youth in a different type of programming that we would normally be able to offer um so we were able to raise almost eighteen thousand dollars in private dollars towards this program an additional 5 500 donated in kind and then we brought in the Squamish art Side by having live painters and a community group an artist Marketplace so it was not only a skate competition but an arts and Community event so we could bring it all together um and for you know most of our programs is us spending a lot of money but we actually ended up with a like a donation but ended up with 750 for the event for you know to pay for my time and then 750 donated to the indigenous life Sports Academy and so all of the profit from this event was donated to non-profits because we did work with a for-profit business in Partnership we also annually maintain Community galleries so we have really happy artist presenting her work here and so these are the four different Community galleries we have across town this is also run by volunteers who donate their time to help give exposure to our local artists art school is another new program that we began late last year so this was funded through a BC Art Council Grant as a pilot program and so last year we were able to host in December 11 different classes with over 40 students it's grown to this last month we offered 17 classes with over 70 students and then we will have classes running all through this year I won't get too much into that because that'll be for next year's presentation but we have 24 different types of classes 10 instructors and then just a wide variety of things to do and we have been hosting these at the 55 Center and been working closely with rack to kind of move this programming forward so that we can have arts classes open to the public in Squamish another thing we did this year was we created an online government sorry it's just an online governance training and partnership with Arts BC and the BC museums Association so I think governance for non-profits is a is something that we really struggle with and we wanted to get together to make something that is both affordable and easy to access so if you can get your board together you can pay 4.99 for four members to take this program and it whereas it's 49.99 for individuals so we really wanted to make sure that we were getting as many people as possible to take this it'll be part of my board onboarding when we do that in May of this year after our AGM and so it'll really help to create more knowledgeable board members which I think can only help the sector so unit one covers legal responsibilities for board members unit 2 talks about how board members can contribute to the success of an organization and unit three goes over kind of the edia efforts and how to include that more into your organization so moving on to the public art agreement the second agreement that we'll be discussing today actually I'll go back for a second we administer this funding however the decisions for where the projects are awarded goes is through a public art committee which is composed of a bunch of different community members that have either an interest or expertise in public art so one of the pieces that we installed this year was locked guns Orange shirts on Truth and Reconciliation day there was the big celebration downtown and then we went over to Brennan Park and there was kind of a small gathering to bless and open this public art piece this was part of the 2022 public art program and the idea is to have these in a public place to remind everyone of reconciliation throughout the year and that it's not just a day in September um another piece that we installed this year was part of the 2021 cycle so this is a piece by an artist named Lara sermon it is a cedar pine cone that is in Rose Park it collects water from rain which we have no lack of and once it collects the water it comes through and it plays Chimes so that you as you're passing it you can kind of interact with that piece of art we have two more pieces awarded for 2022 which are in process as public art does take time so um Joe is an artist who is creating a scavenger bear sculpture it is all reclaimed and upcycled materials that will create a bear sculpture to remind everyone about sustainability and promoting sustainable practices for industry that will be installed this year as well as a mural at brackendale elementary by Siobhan Joseph that will act as a means of welcoming indigenous families and students at brackendell elementary um the last piece of the public art agreement is a public art camp where we brought together students to learn from two separate artists who have very different Artistic Styles so this was a two-day intensive Workshop camp where we painted our office in the 55 Center to make it a more welcoming place and also to have art when we're offering the art classes in this space and this year we chose to work with older students so we worked with high school students because they're a bit further into their artistic practice and have a better idea that they might want to do art professionally and so it's as an example we actually have a student who has been hired to do a mural at the high school so he kind of learned from a professional artist who's working on our community and now will be creating his own piece at the highest School finally we have the community arts and culture enhancement grants that were talked about earlier so we distribute these for the district and then of course this community Squamish Community Foundation distributes the other half for the more Civic side so in 2022 we had 10 Grants awarded for almost fifty thousand dollars I've listed all of these here which you can read I won't read them out but it's so that you can see that there's a wide variety of programs and of the different types of organizations that we do fund I will however highlight two separate impact examples so you heard from Carrie earlier I won't go into too much detail because you heard a lot from her there but something that is part of our Matrix of decision and this is also a committee decision is looking at how our funding or the district funding can go to then create a larger impact and so this is a great example of even though they received almost eight thousand dollar Grant they were able to reduce an additional forty three thousand dollars in cash and so it's really taking kind of that starter funding and increasing it to be able to offer more and another thing that we look at in our Matrix is the either reconciliation or vulnerable populations and so we know that the Bia always brings on indigenous artists as well and so that helps to match some of those pieces of our Matrix and then just some more photos from that and then another one that we funded last year that I thought was really interesting is the Ceta sky dance Collective which offered a performance called wild there will be offering it additionally this year and they receive funding again this year so they had 19 different performers it was at the Eagle Eye theater they had over 500 audience members over four performances similarly they were able to turn less than five thousand dollars into twenty thousand dollars more in cash and another 12 000 in kind um and so it's great to see that we're able to fund Performing Arts Visual Arts downtown festivals and a lot of other um options which you could see from before so this year I really wanted to look at the total impact of that program and it does come up a bit small on the screen but we have had final reports submitted for eight of the 10 programs two of which have been pushed to this year because of kind of covert complications or different things but we're following up on that we also had one project in 2021 that was canceled with funding returned just so that you know that we do follow up on all programs and if a program doesn't happen we then push that funding into the next year and so I looked at the fall the following statistics which are from the programs that we've received final reports on so far so we we've received we've received around 35 000 of the forty seven thousand and final reports so it just shows you that like with the two outstanding reports are still a little bit to be found um but of that 35 000 there's an additional seventy five thousand dollars in cash raised so almost double a little more than double of what was given was then kind of brought into the community through this base level of funding with an additional twenty five thousand dollars of in-kind support so that's a 284 percent return on investment which I think is a pretty glowing look at the program it resulted in over 1200 participants that were actively participating but over 11 000 audience members with a physical reach of over twelve thousand almost thirteen thousand so as we look to what's next for Squamish Arts we look to continue establishing programming while strategically expanding programs and services to meet current needs following our strategic plan and then something that is new and kind of in progress right now is the Arts infrastructure assessment which many of you are familiar with and attended the workshop that we hosted last month and that is looking at kind of the different Arts infrastructure that we will need in Squamish for arts in a short mid and long term range additionally we are taking the public art program internal this year instead of awarding progress programs to create the foundation because when we were given the program there is no comprehensive list of all the public art that exists in Squamish we've already started and there's over a hundred pieces that we've found that exist us there's no maintenance plan there's no kind of look at where the funding will go over the next couple years and how we continue to serve as the public art that already exists while continuing to add new pieces so we're really creating a base funding or base level of foundation of how to really support that program for the future and there's also a big pot of funding that could go towards a larger piece but until we know where the pieces are and how we're going to maintain them it doesn't it doesn't really make sense for us to push that forward and so that's what we're working on this year and that is it for me so I will give it back to you

Chris Pettingill
1:04:18 (0:00:15)

okay thank you very much some really exciting projects contributing to the downtown again but broader Squamish as well and some very close to my heart so very much appreciate the work that's been done put it to council for questions mayor Hereford and then councilor Anderson

Armand Hurford
1:04:34 (0:00:46)

thank you so much for the presentation it's truly a remarkable amount of work that happens there and as much as I was aware of many of those pieces to see them all grouped together like that is remarkable and to see the and to see that impact that overall number I think you summed up at the end to that 284 percent Roi so far without having the with some missing pieces I think is truly remarkable so I was excited to see the governance piece in there and sorry could you just recap is that something that your board's been through or is that something that is now part of the onboarding process for new board members or maybe both just where did that piece leave I was taking it all in and I missed that detail

SPEAKER_18
1:05:20 (0:00:59)

sure thank you for the question this is something that we launched this year and it actually has just come out of its kind of like beta and testing and all of that and so this is open to the public it's open to anyone and so we will part we will have it as part of our onboarding process for we will have it as part of our onboarding process okay for our board but since we since it kind of just came out and we have new board members coming on in a couple months I want everyone to be able to take it at the same time so our plan is to have one unit covered pork board meeting so we'll go over it over like a three month period but I would encourage any other boards to sign up it's not just for the Arts it's for overall non-profit governance

Armand Hurford
1:06:19 (0:01:00)

thank you and thanks for clarifying that because that's what I took for the first time I was like really this is a great a great asset and I think maybe should be rolled into your percentage return on investment here I think that's incredibly valuable to everyone working on in a non-profit space that has a board to work with and you know as you know these boards are recruited from the community of people that are excited but um this this piece is just so important I hope that's successful and I think that's a really important piece of work and maybe in art until itself it might be a stretch but thank you so much for that and I'm I really enjoyed participating in the infrastructure needs assessment and looking forward to the outcome of that work what is the next step in that in that process and where do you see that um when should we expect the output even if it's optimistically or otherwise just a rough idea of what happens there next in the needs

SPEAKER_18
1:07:20 (0:00:46)

sure thank you and thank you for everyone that attended that um it was great to see so many members of the community come out for that and from the Arts community and to get all of the diverse needs in the same room so our Consultants are sitting with that information and they are coming up they they've already drawn up a couple of ideas of the different needs and which way it could go so the next step is to take that into a community survey and to try to get a larger swath of the population involved and then hopefully we'll have this finished by the end of March or April but we want to make sure to have some more Community consultation before the final plan is drawn up

Armand Hurford
1:08:06 (0:01:04)

thank you for that I look forward to that those next steps and seeing the output of that work I think it's um it was truly remarkable to see the sort of just like the community the folks that came out to participate in that and gives me faith that process is gonna really represent the community as a whole and last bit is just to comment on the public art sort of that step back and I think that's a very important and courageous step to take honestly because um it's important that we that we unders that that's understood and that ongoing maintenance is considered and decided in a conscious way and some pieces Maybe they're being reclaimed by you know By Nature as part of is part of the overall and others you know potentially deserve some ongoing maintenance or maybe relocation and through development or whatever those things are so I'm really supportive of that direction and I was happy to hear that so thank you so much for everything that you do

SPEAKER_18
1:09:10 (0:00:02)

great thank you

Chris Pettingill
1:09:12 (0:00:08)

hey I have counselor Hamilton or sorry and Anderson French and stone I wrote the names down wrong Catherine Anderson

Eric Andersen
1:09:21 (0:01:04)

thank you chair just a brief comment I'm going to have to get over the habit of calling you sack but after all after all these Squamish Adventure centers now increasingly being using that acronym so maybe it's time to move on and be and with a new distinction my first question concerns our Garibaldi Estates neighborhood plan that is underway where the current phase is stage three and although it is focused in the literature that we've released to the public on floor area ratios and lot coverage of course one of the goals of the plan is to address opportunity and needs for cultural spaces and I'm wondering whether you have given some consideration or whether you have been solicited to offer input on cultural space uses and potential for that neighborhood plan after all you have mentioned in your presentation the Black Tusk Realty gallery and we have two or three facilities that are in active use by Performing Arts all the time in that neighborhood

SPEAKER_18
1:10:25 (0:00:33)

I thank you for the comment and question um I have not been directly solicited to be involved in that process um I've had individual conversations on the side with people about opportunities for space coming up in that process but I would be happy to be involved more in that process especially with the upcoming Arts infrastructure needs survey coming out

Eric Andersen
1:10:59 (0:00:03)

thank you have highlighted the public

Chris Pettingill
1:11:03 (0:00:04)

Professor Henderson Ms Morris wanted to add a comment there

SPEAKER_16
1:11:07 (0:00:37)

thank you chair and thank you councilor Anderson for bringing that up um Just for council's information planning staff have consulted with the arts and culture Department about the Garibaldi Estates neighborhood plan and planning our being kept in the loop on the progress of the Squamish Arts infrastructure needs assessment that's underway and they are anticipating building in to their policies in the future feeding into them from the outcomes of the needs assessment Just for council's information there is some connection there

Eric Andersen
1:11:44 (0:00:55)

thank you my second question was concerning the public art program Foundation Building initiative and um I'm I'm not and quite not quite remembering perhaps councilor French more familiar as a former public art committee chair but we when we put together the current public art policy we gave it a three-year timeline before we might review it and that might be coming up my question to you is in that initiative might you be addressing both the public realm and private developer public art projects and Investments both of them together you do have a public art advisor role for private developers and related to that whether you might be considering looking at tendering practices whether we go outside of town for example on larger projects that sort of thing the scope of that initiative if you like

SPEAKER_18
1:12:40 (0:02:20)

sure thank you I the public art program is the way that we're looking at this Foundation Building is really into pieces so the piece that is funded by the district is what we're really looking more as kind of everything that the district owns and the developer piece as well I've also high or I've also applied for bciac funding that I'm hoping to receive which would allow us to make it into an even larger program in which case we would create squamishpublicart.com which could then operate as a foundation to use for tourism and also to keep an updated list of all of the public art in kind of like the private realm because obviously with the creation of Squamish mural walk we have a lot more private public art if that makes sense but I think one of one of the things that I'm really working on personally this year is the developer side and Sarah and I have been working on looking at the policies for developers and kind of what the maintenance plan for those will be and what their process is for selecting artists so as the public art representative on the ADP I do interface with all the developers that are moving through the process that the need to include public art and so I'm not only meeting with them at the ADP but I'm meeting with them outside of the ADP to give them information on how they could run public art competitions so that they're not directly soliciting one specific artist and part of that goes into knowing everything that's in the pipeline for public art as well as what exists for public art which goes back down to that foundation so right now I can give them the foundation of what we have existing but I'm also looking at the pipeline of what's coming for each of these pieces so that we don't end up using the exact same artist for every new piece and so and part of that is instructing them on how they could do more of a public call

Chris Pettingill
1:15:01 (0:00:02)

counselor French and then counselor stunner

John French
1:15:04 (0:01:21)

thanks chair and number two action-packed presentation of the day so thank you there was a lot of information in there all of it valuable and all of it useful so I'll pick up on counselor Anderson's public art questions in my experience of having been the chair of the previous public art group one of the things that I found really exciting was the gis database that okay you're nodding your head so you're aware of it you're familiar with it okay because that kind of ties into the whole thought of having a good handle on what public art we have and where it is and then one of the things that was definitely identified in my era what public art was that maintenance component because that has been lacking so I'm very happy to hear that that's on your radar so a question the use of the 55 activity spaces something I'm wondering about there's a perception in our community that the space that squamsharts have is rarely used so will you talk a little bit about the amount of time that space is being used how it's being used

SPEAKER_18
1:16:25 (0:00:55)

sure thank you um the 55 Activity Center is something that we are starting to use increasingly more so during covid I believe it was only this year that it reopened full time and so as part of that arts school programming that we're offering we are using the 55 to offer public classes for people to use we also use it full-time a storage for the art supplies for that program and then um as we are a small non-profit with limited administrative budgets we are looking to fill the space with more kind of like office equipment and meetings so that we can increasingly use that for meetings and but there's not a ton of capacity to bring people in there now but we are looking to increasingly use that space yes

John French
1:17:21 (0:00:00)

great thanks

Chris Pettingill
1:17:21 (0:00:05)

chair okay thank you I'll go to counselor Stoner and then counselor Hamilton

Jenna Stoner
1:17:27 (0:00:49)

thank you like the previous presentation I was tired just listening to all the things that but also we did this and also we did that so thanks for the high level overview um I do want to touch just on the return on investment piece and I think that's a big piece of this reporting out and I can't speak to how helpful it is to have the level of detail that it is that you're collecting I know that's no small feat it's a lot of work when you administer these types of programs to be able to collect that information both through a systemic process for you and then also for the grant in the grantees and so um I think my first question is like how burdensome is that process and do you think it we're at a reasonable place in terms of reporting out versus the amount of energy that's going into the process

SPEAKER_18
1:18:17 (0:00:59)

itself thank you I believe that it would it's hard to speak for the awardees and kind of how difficult it is or isn't or how burdensome it is for them we do try to make the final report as easy as possible however I believe that certain statistics are incredibly important for us to know and the kind of fiduciary responsibility for them to know how they spent their budget is something that I don't think we should ever reduce the burden on as far as the burden for us I love numbers and so I don't find it terribly difficult to pull that together like but another spreadsheet and like the burden of that is not necessarily put on me by the district but of me wanting to be a better administrator of those funds and so I'm happy to do it I can't necessarily say for the grantees

Jenna Stoner
1:19:16 (0:01:06)

I appreciate the feedback and it's rare that I find somebody else who likes to sell as much as I do and so just to that I also think it's really important to note so like the 280 Roi is for one of the three programs the community partnership agreement where we give the Scottish Arts Council 45 000 I think delivers more than five and a half times that by just by the numbers that I was calculating off your slides you've generated over 250 000 in additional granting through that forty five thousand dollars and I think I've missed some of the pieces there so I just want to note that and also that the return on investment in dollars is one component the volunteer hours that have been created through the and the community engagement through this work is astronomical so I just really want to point that out that it's not just the Dollar on the return on investment but really the community billing that's being created through the work that you're doing and so my other question for you is what do you see as the biggest challenges for the next one year and five years so I'm looking out like what is it that you think are going to be the big hurdles for you and your organization

SPEAKER_18
1:20:23 (0:02:34)

okay that's gonna take me a second but I will say that our annual budget this past year was around 450 000. so the partnership agreement was around 10 of what we were able to then raise outside of outside of that I think looking into the next year is the partnership agreement is the base level funding that allows without that everything falls apart honestly because it is that provides the administrative