Committee of the Whole - 14 Mar 2023


1: Welcome to the Squamish Nation Traditional Territory
2: ADOPTION OF AGENDA
3: STAFF REPORTS
3.i: Quarterly Variance Report Year End 2022
3.ii: Solid Waste Management Overview and Update
iii: Zero Waste and Circular Economy Update
4: DELEGATIONS
4.i: OurSquamish Placemaking Society
5: STAFF REPORTS
5.i: Transit Expansions, Electronic Fares, Free Summer Weekends and Transit Support for Foundry Sea to Sky Programs and Services
ii: Delegation Authorities for Minor Development Variance Permits and Removing Default Requirements for Public Hearings for Zoning Bylaw Amendments
6: TERMINATION
- Welcome, Staff Reports: Quarterly Variance Report Year End 2022
0:00:00 (0:56:37)

[3588] The council meeting began with a welcome before moving on to discuss the year-end 2022 quarterly financial report. [3589] Among the key points highlighted were the administrative carry forward report, $3. 76 million grant funding for COVID-19 cost impacts, investment in climate change mitigation/adaptation projects, and various special operating and capital costs. Revenues were projected to exceed budget for utilities due to customer numbers, and some cost savings occurred in the Solid Waste contract. [3590] Additionally, there were delays in some special operating projects due to external factors and third-party involvement, completion of 33 capital projects, and efforts to ramp up active transportation projects. [3595] The meeting also discussed concerns about the capacity of the organization to facilitate certain projects involving third parties, while the UBCM's Strengthening Community Funding program had been delayed. [3596] There were also issues with the streetscape and scope creep within the sweep escapes project that led to delays. [3597] During the meeting, there were discussions about funding or staffing for various projects, budget amendments, and the priority of the downtown multi-modal Hub feasibility study in relation to the focus on active and public transit amidst other projects. [3599] The transportation planner explained that the downtown entrance study was the priority for next year, while the Recycled Depot budget item had been canceled due to a change in situation. [3614] One speaker asked for updates on project completion dates and potential delays, prompting discussion about the recalibration of models and budgets due to new risks and cost escalations. [3616] Capacity challenges with delayed projects and the need to address them in the Q1 update were concerns raised by another speaker. [3618] Furthermore, the focus of the 2023-2027 financial plan was on capacity, while the speaker discussed significant revenue increases in utilities, highlighting the increase in services and customers. [3634] Completion of projects within budget provided good value for money, while the District of Squamish was proceeding with an RFP to explore alternative options for lowering speed limits. [3642] The council concluded the meeting with a discussion about the Estuary Environmental Coordination Plan and received the year-end 2022 quarterly financial report for information.

Eric Andersen
0:00:04 (0:01:01)

good morning everyone excuse me testing good morning everyone and welcome to the committee the whole meeting of Tuesday March 14th and welcome also to the Squamish station traditional territory in which we are convened councilor Anderson in the chair counselor Andrew Hamilton has sent regrets he will not be able to join us this morning but we'll be joining us later on after noon could I have a motion please to adopt the agenda as we have a forest counselor French moves and councilor pettingell seconds any opposed thank you that's carried and first up we have a year-end 2022 quarterly financial report to be presented by our finance department Representatives Mrs box root and Mr Russell please take it away

SPEAKER_22
0:01:06 (0:03:59)

great thank you so good morning mayor council and members of the community who have joined us today my name is Heather boxrude general manager of financial services and my pronouns are she her and I may be addressed accordingly I'm joined here today by Roland Russell our senior financial analyst who will walk you through some of the key highlights of the 2022 fiscal as well we have several budget managers online and in the room today to answer any specific questions you may have on the projects so in terms of process a little different this year in that we've split the Q4 financial report and the carry forward reports over two weeks so today's reports really highlight the project status at year end and provides the opportunity for Council to really dig into the projects and ask for any clarific clarifying questions next week the carry forward report is before Council we have limited time in the regular business meeting so it is more of an administrative in nature and simply establishes the carry forward budgets in the financial plan amendment that is required to continue the inflate projects as well in April staff will be bringing forward a financial plan amendment that will address the inflationary pressures of in 2023 and the recommended use of the growing communities fund for council's deliberation so in terms of a 2022 overview overall the district work plan progressed well despite the pandemic pressures Recreation services began to recover with an increase in programming in an effort to return to the pre-pandemic levels in 2020 the district received 3.76 million dollars in grant funding to assist with the cost impacts of coven 19. 2.8 million of that was spent in 2020 and 2021 and 950 in 2022 leaving approximately a hundred thousand dollars to be spent on Mental Health programming in the 2023 fiscal as well the district invested over four million dollars in climate change mitigation and adaptation projects include including the Judd SLU re-watering the community energy and Emissions plan and the integrated storm water management plan so in terms with Rising interest rates the district also received significant amount of Interest revenue on cash and investments in the 2022 fiscal finally volume of development activity saw higher than budget CAC contributions and building permit Revenue so in terms of projects similar to the last couple years 2022 was again a challenging year for projects with significant supply chain disruptions increased inflationary cost and external party delays however the district remained committed to progressing projects where possible overall Capital incurred a cost at approximately 48 percent of the budget and with 21 savings on projects that were completed in 2022 similarly special operating costs incurred about 65 percent of budget and same as to the capital at 21 lower spending on completed projects several high-profile projects commenced for continued including the completion of construction of the fire hall number one in Valley cliff and significant process progressory on the planning scoping and cost assessment phases of the Tantalus Hall fire hall and Public Works facility and with that I'll hand it over to Mr Russell to review the results in more

SPEAKER_12
0:05:05 (0:16:25)

detail thank you very much Ms Boxford through the chair I'm going to continue on with this presentation so in today's agenda we're going to look at the fourth quarter financial report we will be discussing special operating in capital projects and we will also touch on sorry we will wrap that up with a discussion and questions from Council to both ourselves and budget managers as required so with respect to the overall results in the year some of the highlights additional Community amenity contributions approximately just over two million dollars increased building permit revenues but 1.4 increased utility revenues approximately 800 and increased investment income of about 2.2 million so all told that comes to a value of just under six million dollars in additional Revenue so from that perspective successful year let's say and thankfully our expenses didn't go up accordingly but on the expense side a couple of highlights that we'd like to mention is that with respect to the covid restart or covid-19 I should say restart safe restart Grant from The Province we have about a hundred thousand dollars left as mentioned by Ms box root and that will be directed toward mental health initiatives which will be organized and managed out of the recreation department we have some Savings in our completed special operating projects approximately a hundred thousand dollars and for the most part those savings would result in lower Reserve transfers so we basically would leave the money in the bank and it should be noted that due to the fire contract settlement in 2022 the fire department did have higher expenses than budgeted other notes other items of note I should say we have some Provisions where we transfer additional cost savings so for the RCMP if there are cost Savings in your CMP contract they go to the protective services provision last year we created a library provision such that Savings in the libraries operating costs based on the proportion that's supported by the district would go into a provision for future Library expenditures and we've done the same thing this year in 2022 for Transit and in 2022 it should be noted that there was a Transit strike as a result of the transit strike both the costs and the revenues were lower than the established budget the overall Savings in the transit program was approximately two hundred thousand dollars and we've used that to start a Transit provision and the idea there is that as we move into the future and we have Transit expansions they can be fairly expensive and so if we have a provision built up of savings from prior years Transit costs then we will be able to smooth the cost of future Transit expansions and allow us to continue on that progress which allows us to move towards our climate goals and also to enhance active transportation in other modes of transportation we had a delay in the ubcm community strengthening Grant that's a flow through grant that goes to Helping Hands and is being used to support vulnerable communities we gave them half the money that we received we received 450 000 we gave them half the money in 2021 and we had anticipated that we would give them the other half in 2022 they've had some delays in investing this money and getting their programming up and running at full speed so they've delayed the second trash until 2023 but they have provided us with a full outline of their spending plans and patterns and we anticipate that they will be able to complete this portion of the project in 2023 so we're pretty happy about that because it's an opportunity to use support from other levels of government to provide necessary services for vulnerable communities and lastly because of a number of different issues and items some related to supply chains some related to capacity both internally and excuse me and with our with external Consultants we've had some delays in actioning our special operating projects and so over the total program special operating projects in 2022 the unspent portion was approximately eight 175 thousand dollars and you'll note that we've outlined the larger areas that had a significant project delays certainly you'll be able to see that in the detailed reports and also ask questions of the managers if you would like to get additional information so with respect to the report that you have in front of you and how this is delineated we're now going to switch over from the overall Financial results to speaking about a special and capital operating project specifically at year end we provide a report which is summarized using a different project categorization during the year we categorize the projects based on what is the driving plan or program behind the project so strategic plan master plan organizational items Etc and that's really good from a project classification perspective during the year to see how the organization is progressing with the different types of projects but at a year end I think it's more sometimes more beneficial to be able to view the projects with respect to what type of projects they are and therefore be able to assess the organization's efficiency in delivering the product the efficiency and Effectiveness I guess I should say and so with that in mind we've changed it up for year end and we're providing it using this framework with single projects annual projects multi-phase projects which are basically projects that are going to continue over a number of years and externally funded projects which often relate to projects that are dependent on grants or external financing from third parties where we do not have Direct Control either of the funding source or of the actual spending program because it is being driven by a developer for example so the last two items multi-phase projects and externally funded projects are not included in our overall metric of project completion so when you saw the earlier numbers for project completion of about 50 for Capital that relates to the first two annual projects and single projects it does not relate to the second two because we anticipate that those are going to be multi-year projects where the timing will shift so on an overall basis you get to see this wonderful slide I'm not going to try to read all the numbers because you can read faster than I can talk and this is the same picture that you saw earlier in your reports but it does it does show good progress with 33 projects in progress and 24 projects complete so we're fairly happy with those results obviously um you know you'd like to get the knot started and delays down but sometimes that's beyond our control with respect to special operating projects some of the ones that are being highlighted annual project completion integrated storm water management Dyke vegetation of the ones being completed in multi-phase projects we've completed one phase of the community energy and Emissions plan externally of the major externally funded projects to know it should be noted that we've made really good progress on completing our spending of the covid-19 restart Grant and less good progress let's say on completing our progress on the ubcm strengthening communities but keeping in mind that the ubcm funding is going to a third party and that's really regulated by their ability to manage that program within the special operating projects we've had a single year completion rate of sorry a completion rate for single projects single year projects repeat that of 80 which we're quite happy with that's a significant improvement over the numbers that we've had in the last couple years and I think that that's partly a result of being able to get more work done as we move out of a more pandemic influenced atmosphere and so last to note on special operating projects are some of the larger single projects that are carrying forward or more notable ones government Road conceptual design speed limit reduction pilot and public space design standards and in most of those instances the delays are related to our ability to work with third parties in a timely manner to push these projects forward so please feel free to ask our managers more questions if you desire with respect to the capital ones we have an interesting contrast here which makes those numbers a little more difficult to read at least for me but it looks good you know we've half the projects are in progress at 45 of 90 and one-third are complete so you know that that's a good metric I think but obviously you know you would like to see the canceled and delayed projects as a lower percentage of total but again we're coming off a period where a lot of external factors are coming into play and so we hope to be able to improve this over time as we move forward I will highlight some of the specific capital projects and you know I think we should all be very happy that Valley Cliff fire hall number one is complete let's see the first really major project that the district has taken on under the real estate and Facilities master plan and we're happy to say it was completed on time and under budget so we're pretty proud of our infrastructure and construction team and the support that the overall District was able to provide to them with respect to this project I think it's a real good news story for the district Road sewer upgrade we have completed the second phase of this project this project has become more complex as time has gone on and so we will be looking at a phase three in this project to finish off some of the other pieces that had to be further delayed but that will probably go out a year or two before we come back to that we've had on the judge slew re-watering project this is a significant project in our diking programs with approximately two million dollars in this grant funded and the major completion has been sorry the major construction has been completed we're waiting for changes in river flows which will occur in summer to do the final bits and pieces around that the last two items I'd like to note are that with respect to the technology transition project each year we're taking on different pieces of our of our financial system and our Erp support structures and we're updating those and adding more and better tools for both the district and our residents to use so this year we were able to complete the tax and Utility Billing software implementation and we commenced on the budgeting software which is pretty much underway in 2022 and will be I should say was used to create the 2023 plan and will be rolled out to more fully District staff in 2023 for use in the future so that's two big wins we think for the district and for financial services specifically so kudos to um is box root and the finance team for getting all those things in place and I'd like to also throw a shout out to the IT team which obviously is a key driver of that project lastly we wanted to comment on the annual Rehabilitation projects most of them have been complete the Signet one significant project that did require additional caring for it is the act of transportation area and in that specific project that project is being funded by Community Works fund and so we were putting a lot of pressure on ourselves to ramp that up because Community Works funding at this stage is going to expire at the end of 2023 we anticipate that there may be some news forthcoming hopefully that there will be an extension or some Redevelopment of Grant programming between the province and the federal government to allow ongoing use by municipalities of gas tax revenue which is what was supporting that program so that's in short or maybe long highlights of the past year and with that I would like turn it back to the committee for questions and discussion thank

Eric Andersen
0:21:30 (0:00:15)

you thank you Mr Russell Miss Council any questions including on the appendix 2 detailed presentation of the projects that Mr Russell has highlighted counselor pettingle

Chris Pettingill
0:21:45 (0:00:24)

yeah thanks a few questions just one in the charts that compare 21 20 21 to 2022 revenues versus expenses we're at 100 Revenue expenses in 2021 and 2022 they're not is that just because we haven't calculated in the reserves for 2022 yet is that why they're not aligning at 100 percent

SPEAKER_12
0:22:09 (0:00:42)

through the chair I'm not sure if you're referring to a specific segment um but in general no the answer would be no reserves are not included in that Revenue number that you see there the revenue budget would be trying to find the best way to put this external Revenue so tax revenue utility revenue fees and charges at Recreation for example rather than rather than transfers from resource so if it is lower it is probably because we received less Revenue than we anticipated

Chris Pettingill
0:22:52 (0:00:32)

okay I'm just yeah and most of the charts like economic and Community Development oh maybe it's not actually most but there's a number of solid waste management the 2021 Revenue and expense are aligned at a hundred percent but the 2022 expense is often lower than 100 percent whereas the 2022 revenues often at 100 I'm just sort of trying to understand why that is

SPEAKER_12
0:23:25 (0:01:09)

for the utilities what you're going to see normally is your revenues are going to exceed budget that's because we're projecting out the number of customers primarily these revenues for the utilities are based on flat fees so we're projecting out the number of customers if we are low on our projection of number of customers then Revenue will exceed actuals will exceed budget that's part one and in the with respect to Solid Waste in particular in 2022 there were some savings on our Solid Waste contract so our Revenue so our expenses were lower than we had anticipated within the year I hope that addresses your question with respect to that if you have more questions on the expense side I'll deflect those two to our integrated Solid Waste specialist if you have more questions on the revenue side I'd be happy to answer those on their behalf

Chris Pettingill
0:24:34 (0:00:53)

okay I guess I'll leave that there for now thank you and just one there's a couple comments about our partner with the ubcm strengthening Community funding not being able to get as far as they would have liked and then a comment that we were effectively the sort barrier of the on some of the other projects involving third parties where we didn't it sounded like we didn't have the capacity necessarily to for some of those special projects to move forward and I'm just wondering if there's something that we need to be doing on our side to facilitate some of these things or did I misunderstand that it was a comment on toward the end of the presentation that some of the projects involving I think with the street escapes was it and then a few things where it's involving third parties whereas it sounded like it was our capacity to give them some of what they

SPEAKER_12
0:25:28 (0:00:50)

needed with respect to those specific projects my memory serves me correctly I'm going to suggest that on and just looking at the speed limit reduction there was a delay because we're working we're working with Ministry of Transit Emma sorry not Transit Transportation my apologies so we're waiting on an moti to do a pilot which we were going to tag on to so that was an external delay on their behalf and with respect to streetscape Carrie Hamilton gave me a wonderful explanation of all this but I think I'm going to defer and ask you to ask her okay

Eric Andersen
0:26:18 (0:00:05)

thank you planning director Mr velenisis is joining us perhaps you may be able to help us on this one

SPEAKER_18
0:26:24 (0:01:28)

thank you so in with respect to the sweep escapes project there's a number of things happening there was a little bit of scope creep we've this project was on the books for the last two years and it evolved during that time we got additional funding from VCH to include an accessibility focus on it and so that's something that we haven't planned to do initially so it's coming up it's just not wasn't in our work plan for this year so we had to extend the project in that respect the other the other issue we found is that the amount of budget we had when we went to looking for proposals to complete the viewscape analysis very few if any Architects were interested in doing that work so we struggled to secure a contract which we finally did just a few weeks ago but that's been the issue and then the third issue has been the ability of a contractor that we already had secured to do some of the landscape design work to kind of proceed on time they're just like everybody else were really busy so a number of things and with this particular project you know have caused the delay

Chris Pettingill
0:27:53 (0:01:01)

okay thank you and yeah basically at a high level I want to make sure that I guess is there something going on here where we need some more funding or Staffing or something to get some of this done or we just bit off too much and just sort of understanding but I presume staff will maybe bring that to us in a budget amendment if that is the case and so I just want to check on that thank you two other specific things if I might the downtown multi-modal Hub feasibility study it talks about postponing this until we've done more on the downtown entrance and I just wanted to check though that the downtown entrance will not be discounting in anywhere or we'll have still a focus on active Transit and public transit and it won't be sort of like first we'll get the car first designed for the downtown ready and then we'll come back to the active translation afterthoughts I just sort of want to make sure I understand the relationship between these projects

SPEAKER_12
0:28:54 (0:00:05)

I am quite sure that there are people in the room or online that can answer that way better than me

Eric Andersen
0:29:00 (0:00:14)

thank you Mr Russell would there be a represent from the engineering department that could just clarify the broad scope of the downtown entrance study with respect to active Transportation consideration

Chris Pettingill
0:29:14 (0:00:04)

or I can ask another question and come back to that after if that's better for

SPEAKER_14
0:29:19 (0:00:11)

staff through the chair Mr Moore would just sorry thank you Jesse morwood capital projects manager um sorry can you repeat the question please

Chris Pettingill
0:29:30 (0:00:35)

yeah it just in the report it looks like the multi-modal Hub feasibility studies being postponed because we're still doing work on the downtown entrance and I just want to make sure that doesn't mean or that we're still paying attention to active Transit and public transit and it's not sort of we'll take care of the car first stuff first and then come back to active public transit later that you know in this postponing and we're not losing sight of our active transit public transit Focus

SPEAKER_14
0:30:06 (0:00:47)

great thank you for the question um Miss Gunn our transportation planner I think is the best person to answer the question in detail um what I can say is as far as the downtown entrance study we're really digging into it um next year um and certainly there's a massive at component just in the downtown study itself it's not just unique uniquely focused on vehicles but again there is so many impacts of that downtown entrance study it's really crucial that we do that first and I know that active transportation is a priority for Miss Gunn and the district as a whole so to I think to alleviate your or answer your question it's certainly a focus we're certainly not forgetting about it but we do have to do the downtown address study first component to understand that better thank you

Chris Pettingill
0:30:53 (0:00:38)

okay thank you and then one last one if I might share it the report talks about the completion of the water meter installation which is fantastic I think that refers to the industrial commercial institutional piece of and I can't remember where we were on water meters for residential if that's something we are still planning on I have a vague recollection where it was some dependent on TTP project being further along just wondering if you can comment on when or if or how we move to Residential Water metering

SPEAKER_14
0:31:32 (0:00:32)

through the chair to clarify we're not finished with industrial commercial yet um we have one to two more years left and that is in next in this year's budget and in next year's budget so there still is some of that those major um buildings that we're trying to focus on that is our immediate priority I don't believe we have made that step next to the presidential so again we're really trying to focus on the commercial industrial multi-family homes in the next two years

Chris Pettingill
0:32:05 (0:00:05)

okay thank you and so then the completed project was and what that was

SPEAKER_14
0:32:10 (0:00:13)

completed it's a multi-year project it's multi multi-year phase project so the 2022 phase of the project is complete

Eric Andersen
0:32:24 (0:00:03)

very good mayor Hereford

Armand Hurford
0:32:27 (0:00:44)

thank you I was curious around a few things here there was on page 18 in our Jennifer once wants to follow along there's a few projects that have been delayed and a few marked as canceled but I've got one particularly the recycling Depot pre-designed for solid waste the comment is decision made to postpone the project but it has an X as a cancel so I just wondered if that where that sits if it's being reclassified in future budgets or what the status of that project

SPEAKER_08
0:33:11 (0:00:57)

was thank you through the tear my name is Shannon White I'm the integrated Solid Waste specialist with the District of Squamish and so the budget item for the Recycled Depot has been canceled it was largely put into the budget because there was concerns that The Queensway Recycle Depot might close a few years ago and that was kind of due to some ongoing discussions at the time and so we put money in the budget with anticipation of building our own Depot the situation has changed and we're no longer under the same concern I guess I could say and so we've removed it from the budget at this point in time that being said we potentially could come back in five years or so

Armand Hurford
0:34:09 (0:01:05)

okay so that can a delay of that length is a cancel okay that makes sense to me thank you for that my next question is around the CAC and in the it's showing us at risk versus delayed and I'm just trying to understand these categorization here and sort of construction cost escalation is one of the one of the challenges just so we could do some work the math there although I don't know where that stops the ground seems to always be moving underneath us so we're looking at a complete looking at I think it was Q2 2023 for that completion I just wondered how if I get a little bit more detail there because I think it's more complex than this the space allowed so can you give us a quick update on where that stands and how you're addressing that cost escalation in the construction costs

SPEAKER_18
0:35:14 (0:01:09)

um thank you for the for the chair so I think it is more on delayed side than at risk there are new risks that have circus which has have caused the delay to this project so the project is still going to be completed we were hoping to do um sort of a quick update on the policy not to rehash the policy but there are a number of new factors that are at play now one of them is a new Housing Society so we want to make sure we we're engaging with the Housing Society that was not the case when we started the pro the project or when we budgeted for it and then there has been significant cost escalations which meant that we had to rerun the performa and recalibrate the model that we're using to kind of model what the impact of the CSC policy would be on development so we can arrive at the appropriate rates so yes it is more of a delay than at risk due to a number of issues

Armand Hurford
0:36:24 (0:01:08)

okay thank you for that and then I guess I started off specific I'm going to go more broadly now with the amount of delayed projects and I appreciate this updating the timing of it but we've already been through a budget cycle so I'm just wondering how capacity sits sort of in the general sense I was trying to pull that out of the various the various categories and charts where if all the delayed projects you know get you know come back alive or get their prioritization although when I see a de-prioritization it means sort of capacity is what I is challenges is what I read into that so can you speak to the sort of how that's factored into your but the budgeting process and I think counselor Pettingill touched on this a little bit with are we going to need to see something in our q1 update to take some things out due to due to capacity or is this that sort of a normal level that Ebbs and flows over the years

SPEAKER_12
0:37:32 (0:01:39)

I'd like to say it's a normal level but I think that the district has been operating at a fairly high capacity level for quite a while and we like many other organizations have been struggling with ensuring appropriate resourcing through the past couple of pandemic strained years so to be fair I think we're a little I think we're a lot like a lot of other organizations we're probably a little behind in where we would like to be given the past two years so there clearly has been pressure on our capacity and that has delayed a number of projects I don't think that anyone would deny that being said within the financial planning and budgeting cycle the appropriate time for making adjustments of this nature to reflect capacity and capacity requirements would be through a budget Amendment and I think that you will see in the 2023 spring budget amendment that there may be some attempts by the district to adjust their longer term plans to accommodate both cost escalations and other pressures that we're that we are being felt that are sorry that are being felt by the district and those pressures could potentially include capacity issues if our managers deem that appropriate

SPEAKER_22
0:39:12 (0:00:47)

sponsored thank you through the chair and thank you for that question just to further point to Mr Russell's discussion there is that a primary focus of the financial plan for the 2023-2027 financial plan When developing the plan was to have a really good look at capacity so that has been part of that process now certainly there isn't a full Outlook into what the carry forwards will be at that time or what the inflate projects will be at year end so absolutely as Mr Russell said the amendment is another opportunity to address that but I think it's important for Council and the public to understand that was a focus of the 2023 financial plan

Armand Hurford
0:39:59 (0:00:24)

go ahead yeah thank you for that I think the I find it challenging sometimes the length of time and the lag between well we're developing budgets and figuring out what's what is happening on the ground so maybe I'm just foreshadowing for the or really looking forward to that q1 update so yeah thank you thank you I appreciate both those answers that's good for

Eric Andersen
0:40:23 (0:00:03)

me

Lauren Greenlaw
0:40:26 (0:00:15)

thanks I was just wondering if we could go back to some of the revenue surpluses and I was wondering if staff could speak to why to what resulted in an underestimate of the anticipated customer counts for the vis-a-vis the

SPEAKER_12
0:40:42 (0:01:56)

utilities yeah I'd be happy to if we were to go back a few years to be fair in 2022 we saw a significant jump in our revenue streams for the utilities and that was based on customer accounts and I don't have these numbers in front of me but I think that we're looking at roughly in 2022 we were about 110 percent Revenue versus budget and in 2023 I think we're probably closer to 103. 103 like a three percent increase in Revenue that that's reasonable and potentially random the reason being is that is that in 22 we had we were we had a Year's lag so we were we were actually we were behind a year in updating our figure so we had a significant jump in 22 so on a comparison basis you're going to see lower numbers in 22 versus 21. part one part two we are projecting next year's customer account based on last year's customer account we're doing this in June before we actually you know so we're getting the final numbers for the current year and we're using the final numbers for the current year to try to project what the trend is for the future years and so you know it's a rough science let's just say it's not an exact sign so we do our best but you know we were a little under this year and to be fair I would rather that we were under than over

Lauren Greenlaw
0:42:39 (0:00:07)

so it's oh sorry

SPEAKER_22
0:42:46 (0:00:20)

thank you through the chair I'll just further add to that just any increases in the um Solid Waste or the any of the utilities for that matter just go into the reserve so as much as we try to be as accurate as possible on the revenues it is a matter of just moving into the reserve so it's a fluctuation at that and within that fund okay and

Lauren Greenlaw
0:43:06 (0:00:06)

then the basically it's because new addresses like unanticipated new addresses have come online right

SPEAKER_12
0:43:13 (0:00:55)

that's correct we've gone through a pretty you know an ongoing phase of fairly steady and Rapid development and customer growth in both taxes both new residences both single residential and multi-residential so that's put a lot of you know increased the number of services that we're providing and therefore increase the number of customers when you're looking at four and five percent growth counts year over year small changes in that percentage work out to hundreds of customers and so you know you can get you can get small changes in the total number of customers but it comes out to be a fairly large number of dollars at the end of the day

SPEAKER_20
0:44:09 (0:00:02)

thanks

Eric Andersen
0:44:11 (0:00:00)

counselor

John French
0:44:12 (0:00:53)

French thanks chair and I saw what I'm going to describe as a rogue District vehicle the other day got me thinking about how our vehicle capital is worked it was a Dodge pickup truck and I only remember seeing Ford and GM products in all of our vehicle listings so I'm just curious to know what happened is it just a case of Ford didn't have the particular truck that we need so we shipped it over to a different supplier can anybody shed some light on what's going on there

SPEAKER_14
0:45:06 (0:00:33)

thank you for the question again I'm maybe not the perfect person to answer the question there was a this is more of a I think a public works and vehicle utility answer but there was a immediate need for one of our vehicles and so it went to public works and then in lieu we needed a vehicle and I think there was delays on getting a long-term vehicle so it's the vehicle you're seeing is a short-term lease to fill an immediate Gap that we have to answer

John French
0:45:39 (0:00:08)

I appreciate that thank you I figured that was probably the situation and glad to hear that's what's happened thanks chair

Eric Andersen
0:45:48 (0:00:06)

counselor Stoner is joining us electronically constantly do you have questions for staff at this time please go ahead

Jenna Stoner
0:45:54 (0:00:30)

yeah I do thank you very much through the chair staff mentioned that we're seeing especially on our special operating projects 21 lower spending rate on completed projects but there are a number of projects that have not been completed due to the inflationary environment so I'm just wondering if you can speak to that a little bit it seems a little bit counter-intuitive that the projects that are going ahead are coming in under budget but we're having a hard time getting some projects

SPEAKER_12
0:46:25 (0:02:17)

done I'll try to address that because I believe the questions at a more Global level counselor Stoner rather than an individual project level I'm going to suggest that coming in at 80 percent spending versus budget is a really good news story because it means that we are including a bit of flexibility in our budgeting and including a bit of contingency so that we have some room to negotiate with our with our suppliers and our Consultants and I think that it probably indicates that we've gotten good value for money so I'm gonna suggest that us saving 20 on our completed projects is truly a good news story I would also think if my memory is correctly correct because I'm not looking at those charts right now but we had something fairly similar on the capital side also as far as far as completion goes so I think that that's really just indicative of type management structure where we're including a contingency to allow for the potential for costs to vary project to project but we're able to keep on top of our projects and ensure that we get good value for money and we're able to get these projects completed get the tasks done that we wanted and get them done for less than we estimated so I think it's a good news story um and I hope that by being able to do some projects for less than the amount of money we had anticipated it gives us the ability to in the future to continue on that plan and to perhaps take on more projects as we move forward I'm not sure that the 2-0 delayed projects and cost savings are directly related I hope that answers your question counselor

Jenna Stoner
0:48:43 (0:01:18)

yeah thank you and I agree excuse me that it is a good news story I think whenever things come in under budget is positive and I just wonder the last few years we have been really trying to make sure that our estimates are accounting for the increase in the inflationary nature that we're seeing at the moment so I was also of the expecting that was going to be part of the response was that we've actually just gotten better at estimating and accounting for increases or potentially increases in costs so that's positive to hear I also just want to say thanks for reorganizing the way that this gets presented at this time of year it's extremely helpful to me at least to see the breakdown of the different types of projects especially the multi-year projects versus the annual projects I think that's a very telling way to show some of this information so thanks for doing that extra work and then I just had one detailed question which is on the speed limit reduction single year special operating project and this one's been on the books for a while and I see in the description that we're now going out for RFP and I'm just wondering what we're actually putting out an RFP at this point just as opposed to implementing the project

SPEAKER_05
0:50:01 (0:00:38)

thank you this is Dora again the transportation planner with the District of Squamish through the chair so the original plan was to implement an moti pilot project we had heard that moti was going to offer this opportunity but they have not done that so we had to think about a different way to do it and it's much more complicated to decide how to lower speed limits if there's not this pilot project opportunity so we've decided to ask a consultant to help us figure out what the options are available to us in order to proceed with that so that's what's going out to RFP actually has gone to RFP

Jenna Stoner
0:50:40 (0:00:28)

okay but a number of communities have really just gone out and put signage up that reduces the speed limits especially on roads that are not yellow lined we've seen in Whistler that it's not on every single Road it's at the entrance of a subdivision so I'm just curious that it seems like there are some pretty simple answers why would we just do that

SPEAKER_05
0:51:09 (0:00:23)

through the chair so communities have tried a number of different ways of going about this there's no kind of black and white answer the challenge is that in a lot of cases they're not necessarily effective and so we're trying to understand what we could do that's cost effective but also effective at reducing speeds so that's the reason

Jenna Stoner
0:51:32 (0:00:02)

okay thank you

Eric Andersen
0:51:34 (0:00:48)

thank you Ms Gunn I have a question myself that might be directed to the planning department perhaps the director who's with us concerns the marine action strategy implementation the comment in our report is as follows the Marine access review work is underway my question and a bit of background a council does receive ongoing a good amount of Correspondence and concerns from the public and stakeholders relating to Marine access we can also anticipate that various plans are being made by waterfront Land and Water lot owners and that proposals may come forward applications may come forward so my question is there a projected timeline for the Marine access review work to be coming before Council

SPEAKER_18
0:52:23 (0:00:37)

that's a good question thank you so miss mojanet is actively working on this file and the project is coming to an end or at least the planning for Access work there's a little bit more money left over than we were expecting so there may be subsequent projects related work that we might be able to undertake this year but the planned the plant work I believe is coming in the next couple of months back to council in terms of marine access

Eric Andersen
0:53:00 (0:02:25)

thank you any final comments or questions Council I do have one myself and this relates to the what is headed up in our project description is Estuary environmental coordination plan and the comment given is Project scoping is under discussion related to a report to council coming in May 2023 I'm pleased to see that connected to Vision committee with Squamish Nation just some general observations the project is categorized as a marine or sorry a climate mitigation project I think that everything we do is there can be in some way described as a climate mitigation project but fundamentally the Squamish history management plan is a an integrated Resource Management plan that is at its core a port plan in order to deliver the conservation objectives of the plan it was necessary to devise a port plan which involves a number of stakeholders and a number of trade-offs Incorporated in that 1999 deal in which later the Squamish nation became a part of and a signatory two as a result of a negotiation with the province a Reconciliation agreement with BC Rail and the province so this is a complicated set of documents and it has had a bit of a history as far as interpretation and attention given to it but I think that it's really important to understand the Squamish history management plan as that integrated resource management plan it is also a port plan and we need to be careful about how we describe it and treat it and categorize it because there's a number of very important agreements and stakeholder considerations to be made but I'm very happy to see that that's coming forward in apparently in May later this spring we have a recommendation from staff that the district received the year-end 2022 quarterly financial report as presented here at our committee the whole meeting for information is there Mr councilor French moves mayor Hereford seconds any mayor Hereford comment

Armand Hurford
0:55:25 (0:00:30)

yeah just a quick thank you to staff both for compiling this report but for all the work that goes on throughout the year in our budgeting process and um and I appreciate everyone in the room and online today answering all of our all of our questions and I did find the new sort of formatting categorization to be helpful to try to work through this piece of work so thank you so much councilor

John French
0:55:55 (0:00:28)

French thanks chair just in speaking in favor of the motion I wanted to point out that there is no other work within the district like budgeting that brings the entire staff together as a team and the work here really reflects the great teamwork that I think takes place behind the scenes to make sure that our budgeting is on track and done in a responsible way thanks

- Staff Reports: Solid Waste Management Overview & Update
0:56:37 (0:52:13)

During the meeting, various projects and initiatives related to solid waste in the District of Squamish were presented. An overview of the waste system components and update on the 2023 projects were discussed, which included landfill waste diversion opportunities, curbside collection, extended producer responsibility collection sites, private haulers, and GFL Queensway Depot. The landfill is compliant and permitted with a recent installation of a landfill gas collection system and expanded capacity. The waste composition audit conducted in 2022 found that over 57% of materials in the landfill could have been diverted, with bulky waste from the commercial construction sector being the largest volume of waste. The staff is working on an expansion project as the landfill is anticipated to reach capacity by 2030. The landfill will incorporate a circular economy approach, and projects like the curbside collection analysis, disaster debris management plan and multi-family home source separation are ongoing or new initiatives. In addition, the staff is working on reducing contamination rates, with Durable Plastics and Books being the top contaminants in recycling streams. There is also a focus on educating communities, businesses, and advocating for more sustainable practices. The bylaw requires a 3% contamination rate of non-accepted materials, and while the current rate is 8%, the municipality improved from 2021 forward avoiding fines. The council received an orientation on zero waste and circular economy with regular updates recommended.

Eric Andersen
0:56:24 (0:01:06)

chair Paul the question any opposed care oops here we go the next up is a solid waste management overview and update Ms White Miss mittensellner we're ready to go

SPEAKER_08
0:57:31 (0:00:04)

thank you I'm just going to take a moment to do a bit of switching of the

SPEAKER_01
0:57:36 (0:00:30)

screen very good

Eric Andersen
0:58:06 (0:00:03)

when you're ready

SPEAKER_08
0:58:09 (0:12:25)

thank you good morning mayor and Council my name is Shannon White I'm the integrated Solid Waste specialist at the District of Squamish and I'm presenting today with my colleague Laura Witten Zellner who is our Outreach sustainability coordinator and we're going here today to provide an overview of the solid waste system at the District of Squamish talk about a few of the components and also provide an update on our 2023 projects the resolution that's in front of council is that the District of Squamish received for information an update on the Circ excuse me that's the wrong nope I just have this resolution from my next presentation to council so ignore that last Slide the resolution is in the RTC which you can find properly worded so the agenda of what we're going to be talking about today is first provide a little bit of context with the region from the regional perspective and then we're going to go down into kind of the system components that comprise of the District of squamishes solid waste system as well as talk a little bit what about we find in our garbage so we like to talk trash and then dive into our Outreach and engagement components of our program and then as I mentioned provide a quick update on the 2023 projects well I want to mention very briefly that while we're presenting really on individual components we're going to talk about the landfill curbside collection the District of Squamish really takes an integrated kind of holistic approach to the system and so we really these pieces are actually intertwined we look at how our disposal is managed how that complements the diversion opportunities as well as their Outreach engagement so just please keep that in mind as I move forward with kind of piece by piece so to provide a little bit of regional context take I'm just going to a step up back and talk about the Environmental Management act so Solid Waste under the Environmental Management Act of the province of BC regulates that Solid Waste is really a regional district priority and so therefore Regional districts must create these overarching management plans called solid waste and Resource Management plans and they really provide a long-term vision for Solid Waste Management within the region and the nice thing about this is that it's regional context so how do the different member municipalities and communities interact and together it regulates what can and can't be done with regards to Solid Waste Management so for example I will speak about the lateral landfill expansion because the lateral landfill expansion was not explicit in this document we've had to amend this document so this document is a guiding document it is quite vast I will add and it does need to be updated every 10 years the current Squamish low at Regional districts Solid Waste Management plan was submitted in 2016 approved by the province in 2019 so they're actually going to begin updating it next year with the intent of submitting it in 2026. it is quite a process to update this document and the District of Squamish as well as residents and businesses in our community will have opportunity for extensive engagement and input so to dive into the pieces of our system is I want to provide a little bit of context about the Squamish landfill so just a really quick refresher on it the Squamish landfill has been servicing the District of Squamish for almost for the better part of 40 years it serves the District of Squamish part of Squamish Nation an electoral area D so that's Britannia Beach Furry Creek of the slrd the property is leased from The Province and the operations are contracted to gfl currently it landfills are no longer the days of we go there and check out the Bears and like I don't know hang out at the Moonville or at the dump as my father would say it is really they are regulated permitted visited by The Province entities they are engineered landfills and so our landfill is permitted by the province and in compliance with environmental and other regulations that apply to it and again it's authorized at that Regional level by The Guiding document in 2021 we installed and lit our landfill gas collection system which is really I want to celebrate that because we aren't actually required we are under the threshold for having a landfill gas collection system for landfill and the District of Squamish took the initiative to install it it's a it was a major win for our climate action plan and it's a it's a really neat thing and then the district landfill also this is good news we just I'm working through some of our draft reports for 2022 and it looks like our capacity has been expanded until early 2030. last year I presented it was 2029 so this is great news and that's really due to a lot of different factors operational factors on the site how we use soil and different management techniques and then also diversion within the Unity at the landfill they're in the southern end so when residents first or customers first come to the site there is a transfer station or a recycled Depot at the front and it serves both residential and Commercial customers there are two different contractors on that site so gfl part of their operations contract is to have a landfill attendant and then the scale is contracted to a different contractor we serve up to 200 customers daily there often those customers drop off multiple materials and bypass our scale multiple times so it's quite a busy site and there's a variety of different diversion opportunities there's drywall wood white appliances all sorts of different material and we're always looking to increase that opportunity diversion opportunities however it is a bit tight in space so that's always a challenge wanted to provide a little bit of highlight of other diversion opportunities within the community so there's the gfl Queensway Depot site which is a recycle BC site the District of Squamish does pay to have an Organics collection bin there because we just see the opportunity for residents who are coming to drop off their flexible packaging and styrofoam to also bring their Organics collection we also provide curbside collection to many multi-family homes and single-family homes within the community and then there is what the extended producer responsibility collection sites extender producer responsibility our programs that are regulated by the province and kind of owned and managed and operated by The Producers so for example the producer of light bulbs gets to decide where they put their collection sites the producers of paint put their collection sites where they want so those collection sites are all over town in different locations and you can see in the image the what goes where guide we have tried to provide a clean and easy way to identify collection sites for some of like the top questions and inquiries we get in the community in like a visible reading format and then also there is direct pickup by private haulers so private businesses go to multi-family homes like apartment buildings and businesses and then we are planning in the planning stage of LA watching a kind of a glass neighborhood pilot project so kind of glass collection in some of the neighborhoods in the community this diversion does have significant challenges they're ongoing we continually hear this through all the other local governments we speak to so we have an inability to influence the extended producer responsibility collection sites we can Advocate and we can ask for it and we can continue to challenge them but we cannot make them have more sites that is a provincial regulation and provincial Authority also wish cycling is and the last one this lack of trust by the public in recycling those two are really Behavior changes which cycling is someone throwing something in a recycling bin thinking it should be recyclable but it probably it might not be so this things is these are that we're trying to address with some of our Outreach and behavior change so the waste composition if you like numbers I would suggest you click on the link and dive in I'm going to provide just a snapshot of this because it's a lengthy document but it's interesting it provides insight into what we are see in our landfill in the garbage what is very I want to give a shout out to the district of Squamish is that the a waste composition audit is really looking at the garbage that comes to landfill pulling it apart and assessing what does it belong here and if not what is it and where does it go and what's neat is that sorry this is I am a subject matter expert so need is maybe not the right term but we have integrated this into our operating budget not a lot of other landfills do this they do it like once off every 5 10 15 years but we every two years look at what are we seeing in our garbage and that provides us insight into our Outreach and education material and how effective if we're seeing any change the only thing about this waste composition audit is that it is a snapshot so for example if we do if they collect they audit a load that has a lot of diapers you'll see an increase in the household hygiene for example category so in the 2022 findings we found that over 57 of the materials found could have been diverted from the landfill and 30 of that was organic material and of that 30 12 of that percent was avoidable food waste like a whole head of broccoli or entire Pizza is what avoidable food waste is so food waste that really could have been eaten it's not like a banana peel and then the largest volume of waste was from the commercial construction sector we talk about a lot of numbers in the in our department and division um and here's just a snapshot a few by the numbers so our 2021 diversion rate was 56 percent the landfill and Recycle Depot saw almost 51 000 customers in 2022 that is not a typo there was 1234 mattresses and box springs recycled and then 12 500 tons of garbage came into our landfill so it's just to provide we often will give you one number which is the waste per the waste by kilo per person that's the one the District of Squamish often uses but this is a little bit more insight the last one is actually just a joke please don't send anyone to the landfill for eagle viewing we are continually turning away customers because it provides safety concerns and issues so but we do see a lot of eagles there so for 2022 the waste per capita per year it was 509 kilos per person and with that I'd like to turn it over to my colleague Laura

SPEAKER_19
1:10:34 (0:03:10)

through the chair I'll continue the presentation here my name is Laura Witten cell and I'm the Outreach sustainability coordinator at the sustainability team here at the district and I'll give a bit of an overview of Outreach and engagement that we've been implementing and leading over the past little bit so on your screen there's a variety of photos from different Outreach and engagement activities campaigns and education initiatives that the solid waste team has either implemented supported or LED these include ensuring responsible recycling Ed events such as the constellation Music Festival organizing a food waste themed mayor's breakfast organizing Shoreline cleanups and other community cleanup events hosting themed movie Nights running curbside audits but also many more some of these events allow us to address the gaps that we have identified that I exist in our current diversion and reuse opportunities that we offer and can support such as the lack of a used furniture store in Squamish which we can address with the reuse it fair our each and engagement campaigns are excellent opportunities for our team to educate to spread awareness and to identify challenges existing barriers and opportunities we think that experience based learning is a critical element in fostering sustainable habits and behaviors and Lifestyles and change the mindsets in our community in a positive way the next thing I would like to talk about is recycle BC and the contamination remediation plan or we call it the CRP so the District of Squamish was tasked by recycle BC to develop a CRP a contamination remediation plan which is intended to reduce our recite curbside recycling collections contamination rate while contamination is the in the residential curbside collection has been continuously decreasing Squamish is still seeing higher rates than desired currently we're looking at about 8.3 percent of the total curbside recycling collection being not accepted materials so that means materials that cannot be accepted by recyclable disease curbside collection program the goal rate is three percent the top contaminants in our community are hard and soft cover books textiles and durable Plastic Products like children's plastic toys the solid waste team developed a CRP outlining the targets timing and a variety of promotion education campaigns either led by the district or in cooperation with gfl or Community Partners we also outlined training monitoring enforcement and tracking all campaigns and enforcement are tracked and reported to recycle BC throughout the year from January 2023 to January 2024 that represents the implementation period of the CRP if we are not able to show continuous progress we risk facing fines as a community back to my co-worker Miss White

SPEAKER_08
1:13:45 (0:05:03)

thanks sorry I realized my speaker wasn't on but apologies as this overview we're really touching on a lot of things and happy to address questions at the end so I just wanted to touch on the lateral landfill expansion so the District of squamishes landfill as I mentioned is anticipated to reach capacity so be full by 2030 so hand in hand with that staff are working on expanding the landfill in previous years there was an assessment done there's been a lot of work about option analysis and lateral landfill expansion was decided on the move forward and it is a multi-year project that with the budget of around 50 million dollars from 2020 to when it closes that being said that number is based on the 2019 cost analysis which we are currently in the process of updating the intention of this project is really not to just create a new landfill it does Ensure continued capacity for Waste Disposal while being efficient and meeting all the environmental and Regulatory pieces I spoke about as well as reducing the impact of the landfill leachate on our sewer system but staff are really also approaching us from kind of a big picture perspective and incorporating our climate change and waste reduction goals into the planning of this project this includes exploring Innovative opportunities for increased waste diversion rethinking the transfer station Recycle Depot area and then the beneficial reuse of materials and how do we incorporate circular economy as well into this project so and so the picture the map the drawing on the left is really kind of the current drawing of what it will look like when it's all said and done on the right is kind of a project timeline I just want to note that this is continually changing depending on different variables if we there's new things discovered or new actions have to be taken but this is where we're at the Timeline also depends as I mentioned on like operational efficiencies and if the province comes back with any further requirements and so the current intent is that this is a district of Squamish landfill and it serves the current residents and communities that the current landfill does however there is potential it could become a regional one but that is for further discussions but looking forward into 2023 there are Senate several projects in addition to the ongoing work that the team does like the zero waste workshops tote monitoring like Laura mentioned demolition single-use item bylaw those are things that we're continuing to work on but these are new initiatives so we will be conducting a curbside collection analysis through the lens of wildlife accessibility and Equity we'll be developing a disaster debris management plan with emergency and operations team work continual work on the landfill gas system operations and maintenance the initial beginning of a corporate Waste Management plan so this is also again a multi-year project so which we'll begin with like audits of our facilities garbage and then also looking at continually working on the multi-family home source separation so supporting residents who live in apartment buildings in getting their diversion to increase and then also developing a toolkit for child care businesses that is around waste reduction circular economy and then also looking at the technical waste storage guidelines that were published in 2019 I want to say and just seeing if they need to be updated and if there's any other applicable bylaws that need to be kind of touched up along that with that process many some of these projects might be Regional initiatives we're in touch with folks our peers at Whistler or the slrd to see if there's synergies and efficiencies that can be found also in that and so without further Ado I just want to open up to any questions and say thank you for having us I did want to say note that there is an absence or discussion about the zero waste action plan however we will be coming to Council in shortly to present on that item so that's why that is not in this update although it is a large part of our team's portfolio

Eric Andersen
1:18:48 (0:00:06)

thank you Miss White questions Council I'll start with mayor Hereford and then counselor French

Armand Hurford
1:18:55 (0:00:34)

thank you for the presentation um I was curious around the waste composition there seemed to be last couple years of spike in bulky objects which is defined sort of deeper in the reports as Furniture shelving that sort of thing I just wanted to is that Spike real or is this a reclassification of how these things are accounted for does seem to be non-existent in some years prior and that doesn't didn't seem quite right to me did you notice this and could you speak to it

SPEAKER_08
1:19:30 (0:01:02)

thank you through the chair yeah there was there has been a bit of a increase in bulky items the Consultants that we hired are the same Consultants that have conducted the previous waste composition audits through the RFP process however they have been changing their process slightly due to covid so that I kind of accounted for some shift in what they found they didn't open as many bags as they have in the past and they did some more visual Audits and Hands-On so they in discussing the results there was a little bit of like the because of the process change there might have been a change in what the findings were as well so that's why they talk I we drilled into like is it a significant change or not so I would say the bulky items as well as the ICI and the construction demolition findings in particular are slightly different because of the change in process

Armand Hurford
1:20:33 (0:00:59)

okay thank you and I appreciate in your presentation you mentioned that there's not a used furniture sort of store or facility and so I think yeah thank you for noticing that was interesting I was I was happy to see the sort of the projected capacity date move the landfill although it made me think that if that assessment had gone the other way how challenging some of those timelines were and I'm just curious how you know is that in fact volatility or is this or is this an evolution of practices there that might lead to some further increase in the sort of the service life of that of that facility because the timeline is I appreciate it is it all makes sense but at the same time there's not a huge margin for error in there in those two in those things

SPEAKER_08
1:21:32 (0:00:01)

sorry through the trick could you just repeat the question

Armand Hurford
1:21:34 (0:00:20)

I just wonder if the question was hidden in the middle there which was do you see is this ongoing sort of refinement of processes that might also lead to a further extension or is this sort of volatility because of fluctuating amounts here over year over year

SPEAKER_08
1:21:54 (0:01:49)

great thank you thanks for the clarification we were I must say staff was pleasantly surprised by the news that we just received about the extended lifespan and the reason was is that the not as much garbage was put into the landfill as originally projected this year in 2022 like in layman's terms that's which is fantastic news whether that is the trend or not it's hard to say similar to Mr Russell's presentation covid has thrown our data off because we saw a gigantic increase of material coming to our side and material being diverted when everyone was at home doing renaults and things like that so I feel like in the solid waste World our data is just now we're going to kind of see where it's going it's like coming down and kind of evening out a little bit returning back to quote unquote normal that being said is staff is taking a conservative approach to this project because if we the landfill fills up before we finish construction um we will have to export it out of the region which has significant implications associated with that so you'll see even though I said 2030 that timeline is actually to 2029 so the intent is if the lifespan of our current site keeps getting longer then ideally we can you know just use the transfer station at the front or we can kind of reconceptualize it so we're really being conservative and keeping this project on track to ensure that we don't end up in a place where we have to start exporting waste

Armand Hurford
1:23:44 (0:00:07)

thank you that was the core of my questions just where the capacity lines up but thank you I'll leave my questions there counselor French

John French
1:23:52 (0:00:41)

thanks chair okay and I think I'm gonna seek a little additional Clarity on the other side of what the mayor was just asking so well the previous Focus was on what if we fill up quicker I'm thinking more along the lines of we're going to be super effective with our diversion in the next year and find ourselves in a situation where potentially we could further extend the life of our landfill so is the landfill being consistently reviewed for capacity so that we could potentially be in a situation to extend it to 2031 2032.

SPEAKER_08
1:24:34 (0:01:20)

all right thanks thank you through the chair yes so every year we conduct and we have to the landfill is required to submit or the District of school which is required to submit an annual report to the province on our environmental monitoring and everything and part of that is the lifespan of the landfill and so we do an annual analysis on that the intent is if we find ourselves in the position that our site is has greater capacity than currently projected we can either delay construction potentially which then impasses like financial implications and borrowing implications um or and or we can use the site in a different manner so one thing that wasn't discussed today is the intent is potentially using doing the landfill Construction in phases and this the second phase if we want to call it that we find some circular economy opportunities like temporary space for potential businesses to use what that means exactly is staff is not quite sure at this point in time but that is really kind of the idea so say we have more time on our hands but we have the space then maybe we can it's a flex space

John French
1:25:54 (0:00:29)

oh those sound like exciting possibilities so I see that Punjabi being the second most spoken language in Squamish is going to get a translation for the what goes where guide so just that has me wondering what's the distribution plan for the translated guide once it's ready to go and will it live online somewhere on the web

SPEAKER_19
1:26:24 (0:01:01)

think you through the chair yes so we are working with Community Partners to translate the what goes</