Committee of the Whole - 23 May 2023


1: Welcome to the Squamish Nation Traditional Territory
2: ADOPTION OF AGENDA
3: STAFF REPORTS
3.i: Squamish Valley Agriculture Plan and Squamish Food Policy Council Update
3.ii: Active Transportation Update
4: MOTION TO CLOSE
5: TERMINATION
Welcome, Staff Reports: Squamish Valley Agriculture Plan and Squamish Food Policy Council Update
0:00:00 (0:36:05)

In the Squamish Nation council meeting, Sarah McJanet and Gabby Barnes presented an annual update on the Squamish Valley Agriculture Plan and Squamish Food Policy Council. They highlighted the achievements in 2022 and the implementation priorities and work plan for the 2023-2024 season. The core objective of the plan is to protect and increase the productivity of food lands in the agriculture land reserve and within different areas. The Squamish Food Policy Council operates under the Squamish Climate Action Network.

The Squamish Valley Agriculture Plan was completed in April 2020, with a vision for the food and agriculture system over the next 10 years. The plan consists of 52 action items, and they are now in their fourth year of implementing these actions. Some of the key achievements in 2022 include the establishment of the Common Acres Community Farm, the School Farm project, and the Good Food Program. The Good Food Program aims to shift buying power in the Squamish to Lillooet region towards procuring more locally grown food.

The Squamish Food Policy Council is also working on a Food and Farm Hub feasibility plan in partnership with the District of Squamish's economic development team. The goal of this feasibility work is to understand the circumstances and components needed for a successful Food and Farm Hub in Squamish. Additionally, they are exploring ways to sustain the ongoing need and demand for local food and regional food systems, as well as identifying opportunities for future developments and land parcels to be put into production.

Andrew Hamilton
0:00:00 (0:01:10)

May 23rd Committee of the whole meeting first I'd like to start by welcoming us to the Squamish Nation traditional territory please be advised that this council meeting is being live streamed recorded and will be available to the public to view on the District of Squamish website following the meeting if you have concerns please notify the corporate officer present at the meeting first I will look for an adoption of the agenda counselor I have to counselor French sorry I have to change my thinking to counsel the French not John Council says motion by counselor French seconded by mayor Hereford all those in favor adoption agenda adopted first on our agenda we have staff reports we have Sarah mcjanet and Gabby Barnes giving us a staff report on the Squamish Valley agriculture plan and Squamish food policy Council update thank you very much

SPEAKER_09
0:01:10 (0:01:31)

good morning Council and those joining online my name is Sarah mcjanet a planner with the planning department and it's our pleasure to bring another annual update forward in tandem with the Squamish food policy Council today on work on the agricultural plan Food Systems initiatives collaborations and big achievements in 2022 as well as implementation priorities and work plan highlights for the 2023-2024 season I want to wish a warm welcome to slrd area director Tony rainbow here with us today who represents the regional district in Squamish Valley and we've been working together for over five years in agricultural work which has been really exciting and then with me here we have Crystal tenbrink executive director with Squamish can as well as Gabrielle food systems manager and we also have other staff that have been very closely involved with food system work in Squamish over the years so we've got our economic development team Kate Mulligan and also Gabrielle Barnes and then also we have Allison Westwood from Vancouver Coastal Health so other collaborators um and so the report before you today is for information no decisions just a celebration of work and the growing impact and in service to the food system and enhanced resiliency so with that I'll pass it over to Crystal and

SPEAKER_11
0:02:42 (0:08:01)

Gabriella hi everyone thanks so much for having us it's great to be here and nice to see you I thought I would give a little bit of a brief background for those of you that may not be familiar with sort of who we are and what the heck we've been up to and so for myself I work as the executive director and we've had I'll just kick it off first just to share a little bit about our supporters we've had an amazing year almost doubled revenue from the year before and that is only because of the hard work of our staff but also because of all of these folks that have said yes and so thank you to all of our funders in which you can see here so the Squamish Valley agriculture plan got wrapped up in April of 2020 and it came to be where many groups came together the Ministry of Agriculture District of Squamish and the score of the regional district area D we all came together to sort of develop a vision for what our food and agriculture system would look like in the next 10 years and then worked through developed a plan came up with a small amount of 52 action items and since then we're now in our fourth year of implementing those action items and really feel like we've now taken a good chunk out of that plan which is super exciting and so really the core of the objective is really to protect and increase the productivity of food lands in the agriculture land reserve and within different areas just so you're aware because there is a connection the Squamish food policy council is a Council that exists underneath of the backbone organization of the Squamish climate Action Network so um yeah next slide thanks so we'll kick it off with a little bit of a bit of a broad how did we get to where we are you can sort of see the establishment of Squamish can the endorsement of the from the District of Squamish with the food Charter diving into the Squamish 2040 ocp and then from there we were able to initiate the Squamish Valley agriculture plan in 2019 and wrap it up in 2020 and then just got to work right away so you can see there's been some high priorities over the years that we've really targeted and been really focused on facility having conversations important conversations to get us to where we are now this is just the slide for 2022. it's been a really it was a big year lots of Revenue was generated which is really exciting grants for allocated and I might just highlight we're going to be going through a few of these but I might just highlight a few exciting actually I'm gonna not highlight anything I'll wait because we're going into it in a second now I'm going to highlight so action 1.1 is the continuing to support and facilitate the land linking programs locally and we were able to host with through the BC land matching program and young agrarians we had over 30 participants councilor French came out so thanks for joining and that was just a it's a great opportunity for landowners and Farmers to connect and have convert facilitated conversation to learn what is land leasing actually look like and we really feel that this is sort of a way forward in Squamish given sort of the cost of land and the natural barriers that exist and we currently I believe these numbers have changed now but we have about 12 to 14 land Seekers that are registered with young agrarians and also about two to three land owners and these can be smaller plots as small as quarter acre and as large as 25 acres or bigger so this is also young agrarians is a program that started in BC but is now moving their way across the country which is really exciting um so as part of identifying opportunities for locations and enhancing land access for agriculture it was a priority for us to figure out how we could um secure land in Squamish or in slrd for the future of farmers and so we had quite a lot of farmers in particular these three folks Local Roots Farm Market Fieldstone garlic and Aura Rosa florals looking for land we had conversations for many over many years with the Easter Seals Camp um and we're really excited to have broke ground a year ago so we yeah we're one year old now but if you haven't been yet we're on the North End of the Easter Seals Camp one acre was secured and parsed out in a one acre and two quarter Acres I was there the other day and saw Vince attending to a 16 000 like clothes that he planted yeah 16 000 and his rows are very straight I'm really excited to be able to announce that working with the Raven Drive Town Home Development we were able to secure another half acre which is sort of designed similar to this community Farm model where Squamish can have the lease help support farmers and leverage funding for common Capital expenses and infrastructure which we did at the Easter Seals project and also helped set up the farm so we're excited to work with Raven Townhomes Raven Drive townhomes and there was 160 000 allocated towards the remuneration of fixing up that land and getting it ready with some of the higher costs of capital infrastructure pieces that farmers need that there isn't often a lot of funding for so next if you I mean I don't know how you haven't seen The Big Greenhouse between the hopefully you have but we're really excited we actually broke ground on both the community farm and the school Farm project at the same time last year it was a great day and we were able to secure another five-year lease for 12 000 square foot School Farm between house on secondary and squamous Elementary we're super excited you know when we designed this we worked really closely with Farm to school BC who are sort of provincial leaders in helping support garden and farm programs within the schools and when we started this the school their priority was that we could have Hands-On learning in Hands-On learning opportunities in the classroom and sort of out of the classroom so they were really excited about this project it took no convincing on our part we had to find a location work with operations sure there's a lot of you know Logistics in that but we are really excited and super proud to share that in the first term we had 30 grade 10 11 12 sign up for the farm class and I wanted to just kind of share with you that at the on the first day of the farm studies class students were kind of like don't know no one knew each other no one was really friends and by the end of it something that we saw and also heard directly from them was that it became their favorite class because they were they all became like they felt like they were part of a cohort and so I think the sort of anecdotal evidence is there that the Hands-On learning has had a huge contribution with that so just really excited we to share and this was a had fundraised over 250 000 in capital and operational costs and the school was able to financially contribute as well so very exciting yeah

SPEAKER_01
0:10:43 (0:01:49)

it and so the good food program is a project of the Squamish food policy Council and identified as a priority action item from the sfap which supports action 2.4 support local procurement initiatives the good food program aims to shift buying power in the Squamish to liliwet region towards procuring more locally grown food so a highlight in November 2022 we hosted our first good food Gathering series as a means to network and further identify barriers in the region to purchasing and selling locally grown food and as well to conduct a SWOT analysis with diverse players from across the region to identify next steps so the first event was with farmers and restaurants so we got all of them into a room and just facilitated this relationship building and just bonding over food and it was really amazing to see and you see in the picture there that's an example of one of the relationships green olive identified a farm in Pemberton to Source their potatoes so that was really cool and then the second event was for institutions and policy makers which I believe a few of you attended as well and that was also to see how institutions can procure more local food and get it into contracts so by gathering at the same table these stakeholders were able to form new relationships and learn about the food system and begin to imagine together a future of food in our region and those are some of the top barriers identified in the SWOT analysis so things like access volume distribution Etc yeah

SPEAKER_11
0:12:32 (0:00:39)

so the we were able to host a few educational workshops for farmers and Niagara food businesses also you know thinking about gardeners maybe encouraging them to giving them more skills to be able to sort of beef up their Garden or maybe try to sway them into being small-scale Farmers secretly that's what we're thinking so we were able to host some workshops on site at the school Farm Really successful really engaging conversations in fact people stayed two hours later at one of the workshops so I think that just goes to when the workshop is two hours and people stay two hours longer it's a good sign

SPEAKER_09
0:13:11 (0:01:26)

foreign just to highlight that another area of the Squamish Valley Ag plan objective is to increase agricultural awareness and education so and there's some specific actions around engaging the real estate and financial sector in agricultural land use matters so last year in August we worked with the slrd to update an ALR brochure that's available for those that are considering buying or leasing agricultural land within the region and then in November we had a really fantastic event and big thanks to counselor French and mayor Hereford for joining so that was at the Squamish Public Library where we hosted over 30 participants largely agriculture or largely local realtors in the Ceta Sky Region and so we had participation it was a luncheon learn and we walked through agricultural land regulation providing a full context for land in the in the ALR and our objectives around food production and we also partnered with the with agricultural agrologists and land use planners with Edgar BC as well as the agricultural land commission staff so that was a really good relationship with building and working those two agencies as

SPEAKER_01
0:14:38 (0:01:10)

well in the Squamish food policy council is also maintaining and further developing the regional food asset map which has been promoted amongst Regional Partners like the District of Squamish and slrd so the top one there is the 2022 Squamish to Lite Regional food assets and the bottom left are within dos boundaries so in Squamish the total number of recorded assets has grown each year since monitoring began 63 in 2018 71 and 2019 80 in 2021 and in 2022 we rose again by six the top three assets by type were food retail and markets food growing and schools so food growing assets can include a number of things like Community Gardens schools gardening programs food businesses and Apiaries so some of the food assets That Grew were the downtown School Farm as well as the common Acres Community Farm which includes three new farmers

SPEAKER_11
0:15:48 (0:00:22)

so we continue just to support the wildlife risk reduction initiatives with agriculture stakeholders so as sessions are hosted we're merely just helping get the word out and encouraging people to attend and we'll continue to do that so we're not directly organizing our hosting but when the province hosts we'll share

SPEAKER_01
0:16:10 (0:01:06)

and for action item 2.1 develop in agri-food sector strategy for the Squamish Valley we are currently amidst a food and farm Hub feasibility plan partnered with the economic development team at the District of Squamish and the goal of this feasibility work is to understand under what circumstances and with what components a food and farm Hub could work in Squamish so a farm Hub is defined as a network of food and farm infrastructure within a region to strengthen the area's local food economy so it would involve the collaboration of farmers organizations and consumers to Aggregate and distribute resources to make food available in a given area so like I said we've been doing this study and talking to a lot of existing food hubs around BC and Canada in the U.S and trying to identify challenges they've faced how they chose their model and just trying to identify best practices to determine what model would be best in our region

SPEAKER_11
0:17:17 (0:00:44)

oops oh there we go did you okay and many of you were here for this but the ubcm we were able to host the ubcm farm tour the into 2022 which was really exciting we had over 80 participants out and I also co-presented with investment agriculture foundation and farm folks city Folk a session about Food Systems climate action local government it was really well received and I'm hoping to host a workshop perhaps for 2023 so you may see me there again and so a few plans we're going to well you can see here we've there's lots of plans lots of actions me do you want to go through all

SPEAKER_09
0:18:01 (0:00:00)

this I

SPEAKER_10
0:18:02 (0:00:01)

think it's

SPEAKER_09
0:18:03 (0:00:08)

it's very well detailed in the report so yeah we'll probably just assume let's go and go to an exciting slide next which is this one

SPEAKER_11
0:18:12 (0:02:16)

so funding and you can see at the very bottom on the left that we were sort of the growth that we've had and last year was quite a significant growth really thankful to all the funders that really helped step up the we have some confirmed funding to share for 2023 since we're already a few months in one of which is gaming Grant another highlight would be the Vancouver foundation to support the ongoing development of the good food program but also the red up funding which we presented on a few months ago with the economic development team and really super exciting that the district was awarded three of those grants all of them I know there was some question marks when we first came forward but nonetheless we received it and it is a project funded over two years so we look forward to keeping you updated next year and then there's lots of other plans so in terms of just ongoing you know when we're doing this work it's been four years we're also looking at how do we sustain this work because we know that the importance of it is not going away in fact it's only growing and so wanted to just put out there to you folks that there may be some options for exploring and we've through perhaps we local services and things don't have to have this conversation today but wanted to just put that question out how do we sustain the ongoing need and demand of local food and Regional food yeah and the last thing is probably just always thinking about as future developments come forward how might we put Parcels into production is there opportunities and so always thinking about how we might be able to jump into a conversation and see if there's a Synergy there with a future development or some change happening we are always participating in the neighborhood plans as much as we can and so we'll continue to do so to help steer the vision forward and advocate for the priorities in the agriculture plan thanks

SPEAKER_09
0:20:28 (0:00:07)

thank you so much we will welcome any questions or comments and thank you very much for your time

Andrew Hamilton
0:20:36 (0:00:09)

thank you very much Council questions

Armand Hurford
0:20:45 (0:00:39)

hello thank you so much for the well all the work that was summed up in the present in the presentation um and I know that's really just scratching the surface um I really enjoyed the session that I attended with the Realtors around the lunch and learn around the ALR land and I wondered if there's plans to have that happen sort of on an ongoing basis I know that we didn't clearly not every realtor in town was there and you know we often do run into landowners that aren't aware of what it is that they own and um it feels like a gap that that's important are there plans for an additional session or ongoing

SPEAKER_09
0:21:25 (0:00:45)

thank you through the chair we don't currently have plans to re-run that session at this time however we'd be very open to that we have in the follow-up to that event we provided the presentation to the realtor group and also it's on the slrd website and then there's the brochure so yeah that was a fantastic event and it we held it on the heels of a really successful proceeding event with the real with local Realtors on short-term rentals so they really enjoyed it there's a lot of feedback and so I think there are probably quite a few topics that we could bring forward but we will definitely consider maybe re-running the agricultural one thank you

Andrew Hamilton
0:22:10 (0:00:01)

councilor stoner

Jenna Stoner
0:22:12 (0:00:23)

thank you through the chair a huge thanks for the update and all the work that you do in our community a few questions I'm curious if we have any success stories for the land linking program so I know that there's quite a few folks who are listed there is looking for land and two to three folks who have landed for grabs have we actually seen any matches made in heaven

SPEAKER_11
0:22:36 (0:00:53)

yeah so if you well a few years ago young agrarians had worked with a land owner in the Squamish Valley and um nutrient dense Farms has secured long-term lease so that's one and then we did work with the three Farms they all have five-year sub or licenses with us so there's three Farms there there's nothing else yet I think you know the sort of what I gather is you know for a match to happen it requires it's like dating it really requires a lot of investment and good conversation and making sure that it's a good fit there are a few folks within the district disclaimers that I am following up with who have expressed interest and then it's a matter of finding someone who's ready and Keen to get in there and start growing food or whatever it is they might be growing

Jenna Stoner
0:23:30 (0:00:42)

yeah that's helpful I know it's not necessarily an easy match to make but I think it leads to my second question which is I'm curious if the Squamish food policy Council or through the Squamish Valley agricultural plan we've done like some deeper thinking on how we actually incentivize getting more of our ala or land into production so part of that is like some of these pieces around the realtor education and Outreach have we done a deep dive on like how can we actually either through the District of Squamish or the slrd how do like what are the Avenues that we have to actually incentivize people getting land into production

SPEAKER_09
0:24:12 (0:00:48)

thank you for the question through the chair we that's an area that we can do more work in for sure in terms of deeper dive to really try and maybe not incentivize but incur like you know encourage um this food policy Council has done a lot of work with new entrants as well in terms of helping to support New farmers you know developing the skill base going understanding where the funding is in order to get up and running and then also to address barriers and it's been really around providing resources for the most part as opposed to incentives per se but that's an area that we would be yeah pleased to kind of continue to work together on and Crystal do you have any other insights

SPEAKER_11
0:25:00 (0:00:31)

yeah I'll just add that I think strengthening policy within your own respective Community government or within your own local government would be a great way to do that and I might also reach out through your connections across the province to see what who's done a great job of this and if there's if there's a gap or an Avenue you think that we might be able to help out with definitely let us know and we also have we're connected with folks who do what we do across the province as well and Beyond so happy to reach

Andrew Hamilton
0:25:32 (0:00:07)

out thanks very much I've got counselor pettinggill next

Chris Pettingill
0:25:39 (0:01:03)

thanks all kinds of really happy and exciting stuff it's a good I guess setup for the rest of today which might be tougher but these are really positive things to hear about thank you one thing that I wanted to sort and maybe this is a whole conversation onto itself for another day but it seems that there's more viability on a smaller scale right now and it sometimes requires a lot of support in cses and so on and we've kind of figured out you know a lot of innovation how to make some of those things work with bigger lots and ALR there is I hear pressure from some folks to be able to subdivide so we can put it into production now but I also hear well actually no it's okay that it's non-productive right now that the economics aren't there and it's better to leave those as large Parcels because we're going to desperately need those in the future and so we shouldn't be driving to subdivide and put those into production I'm just wondering if we're doing work on that or where that conversation stands or what the current thoughts are on that sort of that tension

SPEAKER_09
0:26:43 (0:00:44)

thank you for the question and the comment just around the issue of subdivision and land size and certainly at the event that we held with local Realtors Ministry of Agriculture and the alc were very clear with the community around the challenges and the that subdivision is not the friend of food production and that there's very strong regulation around subdivision and that there's other ways to help support kind of new entrants and kind of scaling up but there is a hard line around subdivision for sure and so that we were able to speak more to that yeah I think I'll stop there I'll

SPEAKER_11
0:27:27 (0:01:19)

just add and this is what I learned also from the Ministry of Agriculture when they presented at that event if you folks may have remember if you the when you take large Parcels statistically as soon as you subdivide them regardless of the size this did the stats on them actually stain in production or even being put in production is really low and with young agrarians offering a free Leasing and land linking service in my opinion and in many people's opinions there's sort of no excuse to subdivide there are other ways to get land into production which is through Leasing and these are being these have been true tried intestine so I think that model is great I think what's hard is housing Farmers is a really big issue and a farmer may want may not want to farm on land if they can't live there so that's also another thing to consider is might there be some opportunities for small housing opportunities you know as we put land in production will need to be a priority and I know young agrarians is strongly advocating for that as well strong messaging across the country hopefully that helps

Andrew Hamilton
0:28:46 (0:00:04)

thanks very much next we've got counselor Greenlaw and then councilor Anderson

Lauren Greenlaw
0:28:51 (0:00:16)

thanks through the chair you were mentioning some of the barriers to buying and selling locally grown food and I was wondering this is just like a fantasy of mine have you guys considered the plantex store as a location for like a local market

SPEAKER_11
0:29:08 (0:00:54)

yeah I can say that right now we're not in the stage of trying to find a location where at the early stages of doing research to understand what are some of those best practices and sustainable models of food and farm hubs so we can not reinvent so we can reinvent the Goodwill not the bad one and then design and develop something that will work within our community and in including in the region and there's some really exciting things that we're learning about how regionally this is working as well when there's a great example in Tahoe with a in one area there's a port like a shipping container cooler and then the food Hub comes and picks it up once a week from the farmers and anyway there's just some really great models but we're not there yet but we're working on it baby steps

SPEAKER_01
0:30:02 (0:00:28)

yeah the a food Hub can look differently in every region so we're trying to figure out what does it look like in our region is it a commissary kitchen Cold Storage Refrigeration units distribution services yeah it can look like a lot of different things and we're trying to figure out what those things are and also what kind of model would sustain those things is it non-profit is it for-profit is it Co-op so that's what we're investigating at the moment

Armand Hurford
0:30:31 (0:00:02)

thanks

Andrew Hamilton
0:30:34 (0:00:04)

and now we've got counselor Anderson

Eric Andersen
0:30:38 (0:00:29)

picture in the report to council local service area by law is highlighted as an opportunity or scenario for raising funds to support future food systems work and there's also an slrd motion referenced from January 2022 are you aware of other examples of local governments around BC implementing such a local service area by law for this purpose

SPEAKER_11
0:31:07 (0:00:58)

I can share with my limited knowledge no okay I can share with my limited oh counselor Stoner do you I know that the village of lillouette with the sled has a motion forward to develop something like this I believe that it is through not a not a food system lens but rather through an economic development lens and I believe that it is not executed yet but I think that there are this is something that we can explore a little bit more because I think as we look to other communities we're hoping to lean on what they've learned but I think to be honest we might be one of the first ones actually doing this which is also exciting and hopefully will pave the way for how we fund Food Systems on a local level in the future

Eric Andersen
0:32:06 (0:01:00)

thank you when the Squamish Valley agricultural plan was being undertaken I recall here in council chambers we discussed the opportunity to highlight agroforestry a large field different practices in coming into that as something deserving attention in the plan and this was a reference in the plan I wonder and counselor Stoners referred to the agricultural land that is not in production and a very substantial part of that is under tree cover and also other lands not an ELR under tree carpet that have potential I wondered if you have appetite or capacity to explore this field or whether in your travels you've come across Partners or potential potentially interested people to explore agroforestry I'm aware a few years ago the Ministry of Agriculture put substantial attention into an extension program for agroforestry practices how does this come up in your travels the last couple of years

SPEAKER_11
0:33:06 (0:00:40)

not since you were on our board so yeah to be honest not recently but I do know that Edgar forestry is has been I've heard it in more conver there's been more conversation about it for sure and I think that there's some great synergies with sort of just warm General warming and climate action and regenerative models of Agriculture so I think that agroforestry can play a really important role in the future so perhaps if you have some resources or I can explore some I think it's worth exploring for sure thanks

Andrew Hamilton
0:33:47 (0:00:02)

thanks and one last quick question from

John French
0:33:49 (0:00:17)

councilor French quick it shall be thanks for the update and with the success of the school Farm yard I'm wondering if there has been any talk or thought of replicating that success between Don Ross and brackindale Elementary because you're not busy enough already

SPEAKER_11
0:34:07 (0:00:52)

yeah that's true my to-do list is getting small it's only three pages so we have been in conversation Donruss has a small garden a small courtyard Garden that the pack had built and we've been sort of helping support it a bit I mean the past leadership has been excited to explore this as a next project moving forward we haven't gotten serious and had conversation but I think everyone seems fairly open especially given the experiences and the students and teachers are having with the school Farm which by the way has 60 students registered next year 30 in each semester so we're full now yeah it's great so I think I think words getting out either we're cool or they just like eating food

Andrew Hamilton
0:35:00 (0:00:06)

all right thank you very much thank you very much for the wonderful presentation oh yes Tony rainbow yes

SPEAKER_00
0:35:06 (0:00:42)

I just wanted to say thank you very much for inviting me um today and just make the comment that I think this program should I call it the cooperation between the sold and the district I think it's a great example of um using our resources cooperatively to um you know a good end and I know that we have staff involved as well clear doers and with us but she works on this and the question of a local service area that involves the district and parts of it wouldn't be the whole of area D but parts of area D I think that's something we definitely need to pursue and consider so thank you very much

Staff Reports: Active Transportation Update
0:36:05 (0:33:55)

In the council meeting, Transportation Planner Dora Gunn provided an update on active transportation infrastructure projects in the District of Squamish. The presentation aimed to give an overview of the active transportation capital project planning process, an update on the status of infrastructure projects in the active transportation plan, and a summary of upcoming large projects.

The district completed an active transportation plan in 2016, which provides recommendations in areas such as infrastructure projects, maintenance, education, and enforcement. The district also completed eight school travel plans between 2015 and 2021, which provide a finer-grained and smaller-scale set of recommendations. The district has an annual capital budget allocated to active transportation, currently set at $800,000, funded from the Community Works Fund, a federal gas tax program. Staff also look for other sources of funding to augment this amount, such as grants, development cost charges, cash in lieu, and community amenity contributions.

Active transportation projects can be divided into two groups: small and large. Small projects address localized issues, have lower costs, and shorter timelines, while large projects are more complex, have higher budgets, and longer lead times. The active transportation plan provides high-level guidance on priorities through short, medium, and long-term designations. However, there are several other considerations that were not captured in the plan, such as higher-level planning processes, coordination with other capital projects, environmental issues, cost of projects, funding opportunities, road classification, development projects, active and safe routes to school, and community feedback.

The presentation also provided updates on the status of infrastructure projects in the active transportation plan, with charts showing the progress of short, medium, and long-term projects for both sidewalks and bike projects. Upcoming projects were discussed, with anticipated completion dates ranging from 2023 to 2026. The budget for these projects was also addressed, with future years' projects depending on budget availability and potential renewal of the Community Works Fund.

Questions from council members touched on topics such as public feedback mechanisms, maintenance of active transportation infrastructure, potential speed limit reductions, and the use of ICBC safety data in decision-making processes.

Andrew Hamilton
0:35:49 (0:00:36)

thanks very much thank you and we'll just take a brief moment while we switch over all right thanks very much we'll get started again next we have the active Transportation update with Transportation planner Dora Gunn and I believe Jesse morewood is online thank you

SPEAKER_10
0:36:26 (0:10:25)

thank you and good morning mayor and Council I'm Dora Gunn a transportation planner with the District of Squamish and on the phone today we have Jesse morwood capital projects manager also with the district he's available to answer questions today I'm providing an update on active Transportation infrastructure projects so the purpose of the presentation is to provide an overview of the active Transportation Capital project planning process an update on the status of infrastructure projects in the active Transportation plan and a summary of upcoming large projects so the district completed an active Transportation plan in 2016 it provides recommendations in a number of areas including infrastructure projects maintenance education and enforcement the district also completed eight School travel plans between 2015 and 2021 these provide sort of a finer greened and smaller scale set of recommendations than the active Transportation plan the district has an annual capital budget allocated to active Transportation currently it's set at 800 000 and it's funded from the community Works fund which is a federal gas tax program every year staff do look for other sources of funding to augment the space amount additional sources can include grants development cost charges cash and lieu and Community amenity contributions so we're primarily focused on capital projects in this presentation but active Transportation upgrades do get completed through development as well that can be through fundage improvements for projects that are directly adjacent and it can also be through Community amenity contributions of actually built projects okay moving on to planning and prioritization so we can roughly divide after Transportation projects into two groups small and large small projects address localized issues they're lower cost they have shorter timelines an example of that would be something like The Pedestrian flashing beacons on the right hand photo up there and then larger projects are more complex higher budget longer lead time these can take anywhere from one year to three or more years to plan for before we get to Construction and after the active Transportation plan was completed in 2016 and we had done some work on the school travel plans the main focus at that time was on some of the smaller projects there was a lot of low-hanging fruit areas where we could create some of these connections and really make some improvements with the smaller projects over time we've completed a lot of those there are still more but we have shifted towards working on more of the bigger projects now and you can see some of those for example the Pemberton Avenue bike Lanes in the picture up there sidewalk as well as the and protected bike lane on manquam West of the highway and we are continuing to work on these bigger projects now so the active Transportation plan provides some high-level guidance on priorities through the short medium and long-term designation the process for that prioritization wasn't overly complex for sidewalks it was based on creating new facilities to demand areas so that's areas like commercial or schools filling in gaps and enhancing safety and then for bike facilities it was based on proximity to downtown as well as other commercial and Community destinations but there's quite a number of other considerations that were not captured in the active Transportation plan that we have to consider as we're going through this process so those are all listed in the Box on the slide I will briefly mention them but we can come back to them later so other considerations are higher level planning processes so sometimes we're doing a corridor level plan or a neighborhood plan sometimes those need to finish before we can start implementing some of the projects within those areas coordination with other capital projects which can either bump a project up so make it happen faster than we might otherwise have done it or slow it down too just to try and coordinate sometimes there are environmental issues the cost of projects as well as the funding opportunities some projects fit better within certain funding envelopes and others the road classification can be a determinant sometimes with major collectors if there's speeding issues we might not use some of the other traffic calling measures that we might use on a minor collector or a local roads to work we have to do something like sidewalks and bike Lanes to increase safety development projects for example sometimes if we know that project is coming up in the near term we might hold off on the capital program and not build a project through Capital knowing that it might get built through development I mentioned already the active and safe routes to school and then also Community feedback so the result of all these is that sometimes projects that were initially identified as medium or long-term projects in the active Transportation plan they can end up as short-term projects okay so moving on now to the status of infrastructure projects in the active Transportation plan so I have two slides one for sidewalks and one for bike projects in these charts we are looking at both capital built projects and development build projects the numbers don't include the government Road Corridor the discovery Trail or the corridor Trail because these were broken out differently in the active Transportation plan so the first chart there shows short-term sidewalk projects and you can see that 79 of those are complete or in process for medium term sidewalk projects we have 12 complete sorry 12 in process and then for long term we have 20 percent and looking at those medium and long-term ones that are in process about two-thirds of those due to development projects or synergies with other capital projects so that's why they're underway ahead kind of ahead of time and then there's one third that actually were initiated through the capital program and in this case that's actually two projects one of them is Perth the other one is Westway and we'll talk about those more later moving on to the bike projects so for short term you can see 60 are complete or in process medium term 37 percent complete or in process and then 31 for long term and similar to the sidewalk projects of the ones that are moving ahead in the medium and long term kind of ahead of schedule two-thirds of those again are due to development or synergies with other capital projects and one-third is due to projects that we actually chose to initiate um and in this case there's four of those that we chose to initiate Victoria Street Bike Lanes which we'll talk about in a Sac Westway bike lanes and Perth drive bike Lanes which is only a design not a not a construction at this point as well as the North Ridge Vista neighborhood way which is complete okay so moving on now to upcoming projects this first slide shows three projects that were anticipated to build in 2023 or early 2024 the discovery Trail project is a short missing section near the affordable housing project it will complete the trail from downtown to the industrial park and it's a route to school purse Drive is a sidewalk on the west side of Perth it will maintain the environmentally sensitive ditch there it goes from the boulevard to Pia Perth is a major collector with ongoing speeding complaints it's a route to school and it was identified as a priority through public consultation Helen's Way South there's a third one it's a major collector identified as a top priority at the Public's cycling infrastructure Workshop which was held in 2019 it's also an important missing connection and here we're looking to build an uphill bike lane on the uphill side okay for the next set of projects anticipated to be complete in 2024 or 2025 we have protected bike Lanes on Victoria Street from loggers to third we discuss these with Council fairly recently and there was an interest in having these completed on a similar time frame as a new bridge which is currently anticipated to be complete in August 2024. this will provide a safe cycling connection to downtown and also there are some interesting challenges related to the timing of some development projects on Victoria so there's a bit of a rationale for continuing to progress this project forward due to that and then Depot Road so the first phase of this project would be to create a sidewalk and bike lane ideally all along one side so we from can connect all the way government road to the highway we're not entirely sure how the phasing will work exactly for this project because we haven't done a concept for this yet we're going straight into detail design on this project and lastly coming up for 2024 sorry 20 25 26 we have Third Avenue so sidewalks and protected bike Lanes from Bailey to Vancouver is the goal here it will be phased the first phase will likely be from Bailey to Victoria that's the goal it will that exact distance will be determined by cost and funding as we get closer third is an important downtown cycling route and a transit route as well as just being a very busy street and it will link to some projects that are being built by developers in the same stretch and then lastly we have Westway it's on the list we are working on a concept design we don't have a date for construction yet at the value of having a concept at this stage is that it can informages if we have development projects coming up on Westway excuse me finally for the budget of all the 2023 projects are already in the 2023 to 2027 five-year financial plan the Futures future years projects will depend on budget availability I mentioned before that many of the projects are funded through the community Works fund which does expire in March 2024. but we understand there are discussions underway to renew that so we hope that will happen if not we'll have to look for other sources of funding which could affect the timelines that we discussed today that is

Andrew Hamilton
0:46:51 (0:00:00)

it for my

SPEAKER_10
0:46:51 (0:00:03)

presentation thank you

Andrew Hamilton
0:46:55 (0:00:07)

thanks very much Council questions

Chris Pettingill
0:47:02 (0:00:41)

yeah thanks and really appreciate the trails I'm using them regularly so a lot more than the real mountain bike trails the commuter Trail and so on gets a lot of use for me so yeah thank you for all the work that's being done there a couple questions so the I can't remember what the name of the exercise the engagement was called but you know people as Trails have changed and growling people are using more bikes maybe their perspectives on what's more most important has changed what's the feedback mechanism for the public if they'd say hey I'd really appreciate it Trail here or I would appreciate a reprioritization what how do we how does the public feed into that

SPEAKER_10
0:47:44 (0:00:22)

so we welcome complaints from the public through the website through email through phone calls at any point at some point we do plan to go back to the public and do a bit of an update on this plan today we have been working still to get through the short-term projects and so it felt like we still had so much work to do that it didn't make sense to go back to the public yet but that will come in the not too far distance future

Chris Pettingill
0:48:06 (0:01:04)

okay thanks and I'll just maybe because with the highlands way and Perth work and so on my perspective would be fantastic to have two lanes along mam quam on the South Side the hallway so just put that in the personal but one of the other things I do hear about is for the lanes and so on we do have issues with parking a little bit but more garbage and recycling bins I know we've heard that the arms can reach quite far out but if you don't put it in the bike lane then you're putting on the sidewalk and then if you open on the sidewalk then it maybe is too far so I'm wondering if you know how or where we manage education and enforcement is that part of this planning and funding or is that something separate and you know do we or should we be considering in driveway design or something where you can get in and out so you're not parking your car in the bike lane while you're moving your bins around into your driveway so the bins are in the driveway and blah like is this an area where we were putting any thought or could we be doing something there

SPEAKER_10
0:49:11 (0:00:38)

through the chairs so we have thought quite a bit about the garbage bin issue I haven't thought about alternative driveway design aspect of that yet though that's a good question regarding education though we are planning to have on the when their waste audits are done and the little hangers get put on people's bins we're going to have an education piece on that starting with the next round of printing of those tags to remind people about that we have done some limited education on it in the past so social media chief that kind of thing but it I don't it's not been enough it's not been effective yet so we're hoping that those tags with the information may help

Andrew Hamilton
0:49:50 (0:00:02)

counselor Anderson thank

Eric Andersen
0:49:52 (0:02:22)

you I Ms Gunn I appreciate your account of the especially appreciate your account of the active Transportation plan as I plan this adaptive and that we learn as we go and we can move long-term projects or rearrange priorities and this relates to my question Valley cliff and Hospital Hill are without a safe convenient pedestrian route to downtown and three schools in the downtown area when I was representing Squamish can in the stakeholder meetings to create this plan this is back in 2015 2016. um this particular issue and it is this steep slope is the issue was it was not going to be included in the plan and I guess we assumed at the time it was going be to looked after in the Land Development agreement of the Scott Crescent Development that development to Land Development agreement at least the addition that I have of it that's public involves investment of a hundred thousand dollars into that trail at phase four of that development now that Land Development agreement may have some things going on and behind the scenes or adjustments to it but that's the way it stands the property was acquired with this problem steep slope was acquired from the hunter family in 2012 for and I quote the purpose of bringing people safely through the newly acquired property and that's in the council motion behind that acquisition it is the issue of the steep section of the trail which has become more and more risky for users has been highlighted in feedback to the transportation master plan and that plan is referenced in your report counselor Greenlaw and I have attended to this setting with Representatives Squamish Trail society and Circa they are well aware of this issue and prepared to offer technical advice or even volunteer help if need be I guess it's a it's a complicated puzzle because of the tie-in with the Scott Crescent Development and plans around there but I wonder recognizing it's a complicated picture can this issue be given attention in forthcoming work in connection with either the active Transportation plan or hopefully if it will come soon through the transportation master plan process thank you

SPEAKER_10
0:52:15 (0:00:37)

through the chair so yes that trail has been on the radar for a long time we have the hundred thousand dollars in the LDA with Redbridge the timing of that so it's tied to face the completion of phase four which is currently anticipated to be fall 2025. so we will be starting to plan for that project as we approach that timeline conceivably we could anticipate that money may arrive in 2025 so that's the time we might we might be looking for that project as you mentioned there are conversations ongoing currently about the LDA so maybe there are opportunities for change I can't speak to that at this point but perhaps

Eric Andersen
0:52:52 (0:00:03)

thank you very much

Andrew Hamilton
0:52:55 (0:00:02)

thanks and councilor Greenlaw

Lauren Greenlaw
0:52:58 (0:00:41)

thanks through the chair thank you so much for this presentation I personally appreciate all the expansion of the trail networks we try to use them as much as we can I really enjoy active transportation and I was wondering if there are plans for other kinds of support for our active Transportation networks like are there plans for increasing bike parking downtown is that kind of on the agenda or like safe parking for the increasingly expensive bikes that are that are being used for Transit and also prioritizing snow removal for Trails Trail networks in the winter time to ensure that active transportation is all year round feasible

SPEAKER_10
0:53:40 (0:01:03)

through the chair so for bike parking downtown that is considered through if we're talking about inside buildings that's considered to the development process and we definitely look at all the bike creams and there's requirements for those bike racks outside like on the street is something that we haven't an spent a lot of time we don't have inventory of where those all are now some of them are on our road right away and some of them are on private property so it's a bit like it would be a lot of work to create an inventory and plus all the ones that are not on our property are liable to change at any moment and it's so then maintaining that inventory is a bit tricky which is why we haven't done it yet but it's probably a good idea to do that at some point and just see where our gaps are especially particularly downtown and there was a third part of your question no removal that's normal thank you so Public Works does prioritize snow removal on certain routes particularly routes to school already for active Transportation routes like pass and bike Lanes if there are concerns about where their prioritization is then feel free to let me know I can work on that

Lauren Greenlaw
0:54:43 (0:00:37)

thanks oh um actually I have one other I have a couple other questions but this is the other one I'll use right now we've been getting some as like you know more people are cycling and we want more people cycling we want more people in active Transportation but there can be a bit of a conflict between like on multi-use Trails between like Walkers and cyclists right and I was wondering if the municipality is doing anything about kind of I don't know increasing signage or increasing awareness about kind of good cycling etiquette you know like making a noise when you're passing a pedestrian kind of thing so you don't scare them not speeding down multi-use trails and stuff like that thanks

SPEAKER_10
0:55:21 (0:00:28)

to the chair thank you for that question so we actually have a consultant helping us right now to look into that question what we were wondering is what our jurisdiction is as far as regulating these speeds and types of users on these Trails so the consultant is looking into that question right now once we have the answer to that we will be working on some education which could be in the form of signage as well as social media posts and that kind of thing to try and make sure that we're having the right types of users that maintain a safe environment on those Trails so it's underway

Lauren Greenlaw
0:55:50 (0:00:03)

okay thank you

Andrew Hamilton
0:55:53 (0:00:03)

thanks very much next we have mayor Herford

Armand Hurford
0:55:57 (0:01:08)

thank you and thank you so much for the presentation and the project list is substantial it was great to see so many of them completed and well underway so thank you so much for that as we acquire more of these and build more of these facilities I'm wondering about the maintenance piece and the staff report it says construction of new act Transportation infrastructure creates additional maintenance requirements such as snowplow for the public works departments typically this is addressed through annual budget requests from the public works department and I was thinking about it's quite a bit different than how we handle our roads as far as an annual budget for maintenance and adding is great but also ensuring that we the ones that exist are properly maintained at what point do we start looking at it at our active Transportation pieces particularly Corridor Trail as sort of its Standalone piece and have annual maintenance budget for that or is this an it or you see this not as an or a non-issue it just seems to be dramatically different

SPEAKER_10
0:57:05 (0:01:02)

thank you for the question I wish I had a public works department employee with me right now to help answer it but I'll do my best um so it is absolutely an like critical consideration in all of this and to date we have been relying on the public works department to request what they need through the budget process to maintain the trails as they get built that works somewhat I would say we've been in conversation with them about the possibility of or when certain facilities or certain types of facilities get built or when we get the budget approval to build those facilities to actually specifically ask for Council support for the budget which would then go into the budget process to maintain those there are some types of facilities that will be more difficult to maintain and might require a certain machine in particular to do that and so we're going to try in the future to be more to let Council know before the Project's built that this is what the maintenance requirements will be as far as using a process more like roads I think I would need to discuss that with public works department and follow up with Council foreign

Andrew Hamilton
0:58:08 (0:00:02)

thanks very much counselor stoner

Jenna Stoner
0:58:11 (0:00:32)

thank you to the chair that was one of my questions especially because our budget line item has been fairly stagnant I think over the last five years that I've set it's like it's ebbed and flowed for sure but the vast majority has come through the community Works fund and I'm seeing eyebrows raised so maybe not but I think my question is what has been the tax so the amount of tax that has gone to the active Transportation project over the last few years

SPEAKER_10
0:58:43 (0:00:26)

Senator thank you for the questions so we have to break out constructions of capital versus maintenance so for Capital as far as I know just you can chime in if I get this wrong but I don't think there's been any tax dollars gone to the capital side of this has all been funded through Community Works fund or grants or dccs on the maintenance side though that would be funded through tax and I do not know the amount I apologize

Jenna Stoner
0:59:10 (0:00:38)

that's all right it would be helpful to know for the forthcoming budget though as we start to think about how we are actually accurately Distributing our tax income to various forms of transportation and also as we start to think about great to know Community workspend is under renegotiation but what that may or may not look like in coming years a few other questions you mentioned were kind of getting to a point where we're starting to think about an update to the active Transportation plan given where we're at it I'm just wondering if you have more of a timeline that you're envisioning in your head when we might update this master plan

SPEAKER_10
0:59:49 (0:00:35)

through the chairs so I don't have a timeline in mind and we have been discussing this as part of the transportation Master plans the overall Transportation plan a lot of the so we've done one round of engagement on that plan a lot of feedback that we received was related to active Transportation so it could be that we get enough feedback through that process that we could then use it to update the active Transportation plan or if we don't feel that's adequate we could then go back and plan it for a future year so I don't have the answer to that question at this point but I will have it at the end of the transportation master plan process

Jenna Stoner
1:00:25 (0:00:21)

okay it's great to know that we are getting that feedback because I was gonna that was gonna be my other question is how do we actually incorporate that in the broader Transportation master plan there are a number of the projects on the list that are under the waiting category and they're waiting for a review of the neighborhood way program I'm just wondering if you can speak to what that will entail and when that will happen

SPEAKER_10
1:00:46 (0:01:03)

to the chair so yes we so the active Transportation plan recommended quite a number of neighborhood ways and they were seemed to be kind of easy wins you know not too expensive to put into place we have put in a number of them now and we have gone back and done traffic Hunter counts on them to look at speeds and volumes we have found some reduction in speeds but not to the point that it seems to really feel like a neighborhood way should or be safe in the way that we want a neighborhood way to be our neighborhood ways also don't conform to the BC active Transportation infrastructure guide so they're a bit different than what is recommended and so we have put a pause on implementing more of them until we have a better look at that and how we can make them better I don't have a timeline at this point for that project so it's clearly needed because you can see by looking at the list where it's needed it may be that through the transportation master plan we have some great Transportation Engineers on that program they may be able to make some recommendations that we could then attempt to implement like one more as a pilot for example or we might need to do a whole separate project to look at them all

Jenna Stoner
1:01:50 (0:00:18)

together and tied into that but not specifically around active Transportation but still very related is the work that's ongoing around speed reductions more broadly in the community I'm just wondering if you can speak to that and how that ties in here as well

SPEAKER_10
1:02:08 (0:00:37)

sure the chair so I don't yet know what the outcome of that work is going to be it will come to council there will be a decision so it's hard for me to tell you exactly how it's going to play in here but there is a possibility of there being a speed limit reduction for example on all local roads or something along those lines which would help to increase safety on the local roads we already have lower speeds on the neighborhood ways so let's say we went to 40 on local roads we're already at 30 on neighborhood ways so it wouldn't really have much of an impact on neighborhood ways at all but it could increase safety on all of our other local roads it's hard to see more without knowing what the outcome of that project will

Jenna Stoner
1:02:45 (0:00:56)

be all right thank you for that and then two other questions if I can share one is just going back to the prioritization and I realized that this is this these are moving targets there's lots of things that are feeding into it I have two questions one is just as an example so in the actor Transportation plan government between Jed and Eagle Run as well as Judd between the highway sorry Depot let me start over Okay so government Road between Judd and Eagle Run as well as Depot Road between the highway and government are both identified as short-term priorities I'm just curious how we pick so Depot Road is now in the budget for 24.25 just curious we've received public input on both of those they are both really challenging spaces and so I'm just curious how like how do we pick one over the other in that case

SPEAKER_10
1:03:42 (0:00:55)

to the chair that was a very difficult decision the reason that Depot has ended up ahead of the government Road one there's two reasons or three reasons props so on government we're currently doing the AAA root study so all ages and abilities root study looking at where we can get an all ages and abilities route between downtown and brackendale so we aren't yet sure whether that might end up on government in that section or not so that's in process um there is a sewer project that's needed on that section of government that is not in the super master plan it's not quite yet we haven't reached it and so it's a challenge to we don't want to reject the whole Sewer Master Plan it gets very costly to do that and then lastly in that section of government there are some environmental issues that are significant as well that will require some lead time so we felt that we could progress the Depot Road Project Faster by starting it now and getting it underway and then we'll follow up with government afterwards

Jenna Stoner
1:04:37 (0:00:25)

okay that's very helpful thank you and then my last question is in the list of considerations one thing that I didn't see that is surprising to me is ICBC safety data and so I'm just wondering how so there's a feeling a perception of safety on roads and then there's like the hard data of where our actual biggest safety risk intersections are and so how do we feed that into the decision process

SPEAKER_10
1:05:02 (0:00:41)

to the chair so we do have the ICBC data and we do look at this data and when we're talking about active Transportation specifically there are not there's not a lot of data about crashes that involve pedestrians and cyclists there are a few intersections that do Stand Out potentially intersections are typically not an active Transportation project they fall more into a traffic kind of Realm and so they're not necessarily my responsibility to be working on those projects um there's also just not a lot of data on those so we do have a separate stream to look at traffic projects so things like intersections and that's where they would come up

Andrew Hamilton
1:05:43 (0:00:03)

thanks very much and councilor pettingell

Chris Pettingill
1:05:47 (0:00:18)

yeah I just want to pick up on that data is poor question is that because there aren't a lot of incidents and therefore there's not a lot of data or is it because you know data collection is lacking and I don't know if that's an ICB thing or a RCMP thing or what I'm just wondering like why

SPEAKER_10
1:06:05 (0:00:24)

through the chair so there are not a lot of incidents reported to ICBC that typically they're the more serious incidents where injuries might have occurred so any of the something like a near mess those are just not collected anywhere now it is possible to collect that kind of data with a you can install special cameras and intersections that look for near-misses that's not something that we have done to date though

Andrew Hamilton
1:06:30 (0:00:25)

thanks very much we've got a staff recommendation would anybody like to counselor French would like to move the staff recommendation that the district or Squamish received the active Transportation update report dated May 23 2023 for information seconded by mayor Herford would you like to speak to it

John French
1:06:55 (0:00:24)

thanks again for great work I learned more than a few things out of the report and it it's great to see that there's an emphasis on short-term issues and we're also looking well into the future of what our community needs as it grows so thanks for a great report

Andrew Hamilton
1:07:20 (0:00:01)

and counts the pettingell

Chris Pettingill
1:07:22 (0:00:36)

yeah just picking up that last comment and happy to support this and all the great work that's being done we can't do it fast enough but it's fantastic as stuff comes online I do sort of Wonder like there's been that sign I think it's the rcmps that moves around and tells people about their speed if a camera to do some better data collection I don't know if that makes sense and it's not something I want to dictate to bring to the budget but you know in all of our planning it does sort of make me wonder if it's worth having a mechanism to validate some of the public commentary that we can move around and test so anyway so just leave that out there thank you

Andrew Hamilton
1:07:58 (0:00:01)

and count to the stoner

Jenna Stoner
1:08:00 (0:01:21)

thank you through the chair I agree with my Council colleague's comment that we can't do this work fast enough I know there's a lot on your plate and I see all the work that's going on but that list is still super long and I think if we actually are being serious about trying to get people into Alternative forms of transportation the idea of like moving this forward sooner rather than later is really critical and so I would just like to put it out there to consider how especially concerning that the community Works fund is under negotiation what that impact might be on our budget to try and actually continue to move this work forward and so I'm not going to dictate putting this into the budget per se but I would like to just generally make the comment that I think for me the pace that Witnesses going is not actually fast enough and so I would actually entertain considering what we would need to put in the budget for additional staff additional resources so that we can move the active Transportation work along at a more rapid rate so that people can feel comfortable moving around our community in different forms of transportation whether that is bikes rollerblades buses all the things so those are my comments thanks

Andrew Hamilton
1:09:22 (0:00:33)

very much and with that I will call the question all those in favor thank you unanimous that has passed thank you very much give me a brief moment I've got a quick question okay thanks very much so now we are on recess do we need to go to 11 30 yep recess until 11 30.